BLADES memories

I think the reason few remember Thompson in goal (I'm not sure how he spelt his name0 was that he was a temporary loan player after Hodgy was injured in the first team and Widdowson was injured the same day in the reserves.

Regarding the Old Trafford match when Best scored that goal. The queues were quite orderly but formed a giant S shape. We joined the back of the queue and then the police horses pushed everyone out of the way so those ahead of us in the queue, but further away from the turnstile found themselves in the wrong place.

7 minutes ago, St Petre said:

You are right, they were two separate games, (I was at both of them) the first one was a Saturday afternoon game (Arsenal were the current league champions then) and the second one was a Tuesday night game the season after.

18 minutes ago, Hopman said:

,,I think the reason few remember Thompson in goal (I'm not sure how he spelt his name0 was that he was a temporary loan player after Hodgy was injured in the first team and Widdowson was injured the same day in the reserves.

Regarding the Old Trafford match when Best scored that goal. The queues were quite orderly but formed a giant S shape. We joined the back of the queue and then the police horses pushed everyone out of the way so those ahead of us in the queue, but further away from the turnstile found themselves in the wrong place.

I don't think they had loan players in those days and not emergency ones either, the clubs had to put up with what playing staff they had even if it meant calling up the youth team goalie, as happened to the Owls in an FA Cup game v Mansfield Town in 1967, Ron Springett taken ill before the game and Peter Wicks away with the reserves.

Edited by St Petre
Spell

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

I don't think they had loan players in those days and not emergency ones either, the clubs had to put up with what playing staff they had even if it meant calling up the youth team goalie, as happened to the Owls in an FA Cup game v Mansfield Town in 1967, Ron Springett taken ill before the game and Peter Wicks away with the reserves.

Peter Fox, now more famous for 'dressing room pranks' that apparently never happened.  :)

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Yeah i recall that game,Scothorn had to go in goal,kept a clean sheet as well,huge crowd about 50K

1 hour ago, staninoodle said:

Yeah i recall that game,Scothorn had to go in goal,kept a clean sheet as well,huge crowd about 50K

Ah yes, Gary Scothorn. Fox was much later. Both 15 on their debuts.

First off I apologise for getting Curries sitting on  ball the trick mixed up ,it was two separate games,then I want to share a memory I had in the 70s!.We were playing a night match against Middlesborough,my brother and I drove up there and were queueing to get in the side stand,we were chatting away when a bloke said "Are you from Sheffield?","Yes we are !","Do you want to buy 2 tickets half price?""Have you printed them yourself no thanks!".He then said "Pay me inside they are genuine!".So we did,we ended up in the directors box next to David Ford!.He heard us talking introduced himself and we had a great time talking to him,towards the end of the game he asked if we like to go for a pint with him and his pal John Tudor who was center forward for Middlesborough that night!.I had to decline due to the long drive home and a 5am start next day!.David Ford played for both Sheffield clubs he was down to earth and friendly not a bit like some of todays prima donnas,thats it a memory from the 70s!.

Edited by old tup
spelling

3 hours ago, old tup said:

First off I apologise for getting Curries sitting on  ball the trick mixed up ,it was two separate games,then I want to share a memory I had in the 70s!.We were playing a night match against Middlesborough,my brother and I drove up there and were queueing to get in the side stand,we were chatting away when a bloke said "Are you from Sheffield?","Yes we are !","Do you want to buy 2 tickets half price?""Have you printed them yourself no thanks!".He then said "Pay me inside they are genuine!".So we did,we ended up in the directors box next to David Ford!.He heard us talking introduced himself and we had a great time talking to him,towards the end of the game he asked if we like to go for a pint with him and his pal John Tudor who was center forward for Middlesborough that night!.I had to decline due to the long drive home and a 5am start next day!.David Ford played for both Sheffield clubs he was down to earth and friendly not a bit like some of todays prima donnas,thats it a memory from the 70s!.

I don't think Tudor ever played for Middlesbrough. Are you sure you weren't at Newcastle, lol? They were both at Newcastle at the same time.

Edit. Or was it John Hickton at centre forward for Middlesbrough?

Edited by Jim Hardie

15 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

The early 70s team was brilliant. I was there when Currie sat on the ball as we thumped Arsenal. Also in the John St stand directly in line with the Currie thunderbolt that went in the far corner of Ray Clemences goal against Liverpool, I knew it was going in the moment he struck it.

Was at Leicester when I saw Woody score from a corner, that was the first time I saw him do it, he did it again at the Lane a few weeks later when he hit it hard and low and Dave Powell let it run between his legs at the near post.

Saw Dave McKay get sent off at The Lane and was at Old Trafford when Best did nothing for 85 mins and then when Ted Hemsley had to go off, Best came to life and scored THAT goal and then set one up for Alan Gowling. To be honest probably the most intimidated I ever felt at a football match.

Beating Cardiff 5-1 at home to almost secure promotion and then thumping Watford 3-0 to confirm.

Larry Lloyd dropping his shorts to the kop when we played Wigan in a game where Colin Morris centred for a Keith Edwards tap in at the kop end.

Chris Guthrie, the great hope... and he wasn't much of a footballer if I am honest.

Tony Field beating almost every player on the pitch to score.

Billy Sharp scoring a hat trick against QPR, left foot, right foot, header.

Michael Tonge dismantling Liverpool in the cup.

Oh and to continue a theme, was at Elland Road for that return fixture after we did them 3-1 at home, they kicked us to pieces, nastiest, dirtyest, horrible team I ever saw, and they had 10 internationals on the pitch! Giles, sneaky ******** he was. If you go back to that infamous charity shield match, it was Giles that did Keegan, and when Keegan looked round, Giles was nowhere to be seen and Bremner copped it!

Richard

15 hours ago, Vasquez Rich said:

The early 70s team was brilliant. I was there when Currie sat on the ball as we thumped Arsenal. Also in the John St stand directly in line with the Currie thunderbolt that went in the far corner of Ray Clemences goal against Liverpool, I knew it was going in the moment he struck it.

Was at Leicester when I saw Woody score from a corner, that was the first time I saw him do it, he did it again at the Lane a few weeks later when he hit it hard and low and Dave Powell let it run between his legs at the near post.

Saw Dave McKay get sent off at The Lane and was at Old Trafford when Best did nothing for 85 mins and then when Ted Hemsley had to go off, Best came to life and scored THAT goal and then set one up for Alan Gowling. To be honest probably the most intimidated I ever felt at a football match.

Beating Cardiff 5-1 at home to almost secure promotion and then thumping Watford 3-0 to confirm.

Larry Lloyd dropping his shorts to the kop when we played Wigan in a game where Colin Morris centred for a Keith Edwards tap in at the kop end.

Chris Guthrie, the great hope... and he wasn't much of a footballer if I am honest.

Tony Field beating almost every player on the pitch to score.

Billy Sharp scoring a hat trick against QPR, left foot, right foot, header.

Michael Tonge dismantling Liverpool in the cup.

Oh and to continue a theme, was at Elland Road for that return fixture after we did them 3-1 at home, they kicked us to pieces, nastiest, dirtyest, horrible team I ever saw, and they had 10 internationals on the pitch! Giles, sneaky ******** he was. If you go back to that infamous charity shield match, it was Giles that did Keegan, and when Keegan looked round, Giles was nowhere to be seen and Bremner copped it!

Richard

I remember all those moments to Rich the Tony Fields goal was a gem he never did a lot apart from scoring that great goal he must have beat 6 players and he was between the goal and corner flag at the kop end John St side and somehow curled it in from a near on impossible angle.We all stood there with our gobs open and wondered if what we saw actually happened.A goal that everyone who saw it remembers it fabulous goal.

David Ford came of Park Hill , did a bit of work for him when he had his business. One of the boys was David.

3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

I don't think Tudor ever played for Middlesbrough. Are you sure you weren't at Newcastle, lol? They were both at Newcastle at the same time.

Edit. Or was it John Hickton at centre forward for Middlesbrough?

You are right Jim it was Hickton ,I meant to put that ,I put Tudor because I had just been reading about him a minute before,the grey matter is failing me yet again(help).

PetCharlie the game when Dave Mckay got sent off was that the one Tony Currie had his debut for United,the one when Currie ran rings round him,I recall John Harris saying in the paper that he was saving Currie for the future!.He played him against Spurs and he was never off the team sheet again,what a buy for £20,000,how much would he be worth nowadays!.