BLADES memories

First time i saw blades team  was  Thompson , Coldwell , Shaw G, Richardson, Shaw J ,Summers  Lewis. Hodgson, Sheils, Russell, Simpson.  Probably thats why i became an Owl. 

22 minutes ago, ALAN 58 said:

First time i saw blades team  was  Thompson , Coldwell , Shaw G, Richardson, Shaw J ,Summers  Lewis. Hodgson, Sheils, Russell, Simpson.  Probably thats why i became an Owl. 

About the time I started watching blades Alan, but can"t remember Thompson.. I remember Ted Burgin as the Goalie.

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

About the time I started watching blades Alan, but can"t remember Thompson.. I remember Ted Burgin as the Goalie.

Des Thompson  was reserve goalie.  to Hodgy. I never saw Ted Burgin.

8 minutes ago, Padders said:

Cheers Al.

5 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Currie reacting to Alan Ball the previous season. We thought those days would never end, how naive we were. This is the best feeling I’ve had about the Blades since those halcyon days.

Cricket. Never went to a match at the Lane but did take in Yorkshire and England at Bratfud and Headingley.

Sharpe, Hampshire, Taylor, Boycott, Illingworth, Close. 

UTB

My first Blades team. Hodgy, Badger, B. Shaw, Mallender, Munks, Flynn, Reece, Jones, Birchenall, Woodward, Wagstaff(s)

Hi Ridgey,    Ken Taylor was my mothers cousin, also played for Huddersfield Town.  As you will already know there was a few who had dual careers as footballers and  cricketers. Your own Ted Hemsley  was one who also played for Worcestershire

Hi Alan.

your mums cousin was part  of a great Yorkshire team, that swept all before them.   Late 1950s early 1960s. 

I remember Ted, met him a few years ago. Footballer/cricketers weren’t uncommon then, The two games were clearly demarcated which enabled players to play in winter and summer, days before football became the all consuming behemoth that it is today.

More recently Arnie Sidebottom, and Ian Botham

Edited by Ridgewalk

2 hours ago, Ridgewalk said:

Hi Alan.

your mums cousin was part  of a great Yorkshire team, that swept all before them.   Late 1950s early 1960s. 

I remember Ted, met him a few years ago. Footballer/cricketers weren’t uncommon then, The two games were clearly demarcated which enabled players to play in winter and summer, days before football became the all consuming behemoth that it is today.

More recently Arnie Sidebottom, and Ian Botham

I only ever met him once  early sixties , my dad took me to Bramall lane to see a county game and Jimmy Binks gave me a pair of signed liner gloves. Happy days.

Hodgy, Badger,Hemsley, Flynn,Colquhoun, Hockey,Woodward,Salmons,Dearden,Currie&Reece, 

Great days!

On 02/05/2019 at 04:08, Ridgewalk said:

Currie reacting to Alan Ball the previous season. We thought those days would never end, how naive we were. This is the best feeling I’ve had about the Blades since those halcyon days.

Cricket. Never went to a match at the Lane but did take in Yorkshire and England at Bratfud and Headingley.

Sharpe, Hampshire, Taylor, Boycott, Illingworth, Close. 

UTB

My first Blades team. Hodgy, Badger, B. Shaw, Mallender, Munks, Flynn, Reece, Jones, Birchenall, Woodward, Wagstaff(s)

Remember all those guys also Graham and Joe Shaw, Reg Mathewson.etc.Always remember a lad a year ahead of me at school making his debut quite young at the Lane.He played right half, I think. Not sure how long he played for United but it was in the timeframe you mention.His name was Tommy Fenoughty.

50 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Remember all those guys also Graham and Joe Shaw, Reg Mathewson.etc.Always remember a lad a year ahead of me at school making his debut quite young at the Lane.He played right half, I think. Not sure how long he played for United but it was in the timeframe you mention.His name was Tommy Fenoughty.

I remember him.

I have been a supporter of the Blades since the late 40's and have seen many changes and ups and downs

Anyone else remember the 2 Smiths playing together, goalkeeper and centre forward in the old Div 1 ?

UTB

My earliest memory, from around 69/70 was Mick Speight wearing boots with fluorescent stripes down the side, first ones I had ever seen, pestered my parents to get me some for Christmas (they did).