BLADES memories

65 years a Unitedite ! Remember them going up in 1961 and again in 1971.

Great day in 2006. Live for the moment whatever happens next season !!

Thanks for all the good comments from you Wednesdayites

Walked past my Dad's plaque on the wall of the John St stand on Saturday, gave it a touch and thought how he would have loved the day.

19 hours ago, Runningman said:

65 years a Unitedite ! Remember them going up in 1961 and again in 1971.

Great day in 2006. Live for the moment whatever happens next season !!

Thanks for all the good comments from you Wednesdayites

Walked past my Dad's plaque on the wall of the John St stand on Saturday, gave it a touch and thought how he would have loved the day.

Funny how the good times stick in your memory and that's the way it should be.There are not much better than this last 2 or 3 years though.

I was born a  Blade with parents who were avid United supporters. There was no choice in the matter! Dad was even the treasurer of the supporters' club in the '50s and received the customary clock as a retiring gift; which I still have. As a nipper I was taken home and away, usually on Jeffcock's coaches and sold programmes at BDTBL as a teenager.

So my memories go back a long way as far as the Hagan, Brooks, Ringstead, Shaw and Burgin days and their promotion in 1952/3.

Like most clubs we've had good times and bad, with some success but many disappointments but I've followed them , like all true supporters, come what may.

Over the years we've had some very good managers, John Harris, Ian Porterfield, Dave Bassett and Neil Warnock come to mind but I can honestly say that what Chris Wilder and his team, which includes all the backroom staff, have achieved in 3 years is simply outstanding and eclipses everything that has gone before. It's even more remarkable when you consider the uneven financial field which exists in the modern game.

Three years ago I wondered whether United would ever play again in the Premiership in my lifetime. Well here we are in the top tier once again.

On Saturday I watched the match against Ipswich in Newark with 2 of my sons, a few other Blades fans and 3 magnanimous  Wednesdayites.

Yes they're not all bad lads!

It's reported that afterwards CW was emotional at his and the teams' achievement. Well I have to admit he wasn't the only one.

Thank you Chris and everyone at SUFC. Last Saturday you made my day and my year. These events don't come along that frequently so I'll enjoy it while I can.

echo.

Edited by echo beach

3 minutes ago, echo beach said:

I was born a  Blade with parents who were avid United supporters. There was no choice in the matter! Dad was even the treasurer of the supporters' club in the '50s and received the customary clock as a retiring gift; which I still have. As a nipper I was taken home and away, usually on Jeffcock's coaches and sold programmes at BDTBL as a teenager.

So my memories go back a long way as far as the Hagan, Brooks, Ringstead, Shaw and Burgin days and their promotion in 1952/3.

Like most clubs we've had good times and bad, with some success but many disappointments but I've followed them , like all true supporters, come what may.

Over the years we've had some very good managers, John Harris, Ian Porterfield, Dave Bassett and Neil Warnock come to mind but I can honestly say that what Chris Wilder and his team, which includes all the backroom staff, have achieved in 3 years is simply outstanding and eclipses everything that has gone before. It's even more remarkable when you consider the uneven financial field which exists in the modern game.

Three years ago I wondered whether United would ever play in the Premiership in my lifetime. Well here we are in the top tier once again.

On Saturday I watched the match against Ipswich in Newark with 2 of my sons, a few other Blades fans and 3 magnanimous  Wednesdayites.

Yes they're not all bad lads!

It's reported that afterwards CW was emotional at his and the teams' achievement. Well I have to admit he wasn't the only one.

Thank you Chris and everyone at SUFC. Last Saturday you made my day and my year. These events don't come along that frequently so I'll enjoy it while I can.

echo.

A nice post echo I can go back a few years to but not as far as you I started in the early 60s the best i can remember is in the John Harris years .I remember being in top spot in the 1st div (now prem) and going to old trafford where we could not get in it was a full house there must have been 20 thousand in the car park so I listened to it on the car radio and Goerge Best scored a corker it was shown every Saturday night on match of the day.It was our first defeat that season we had a great team then and there has not been one better since but Wilder is well on his way to matching that era .The guy has performed miracles very similar to Harris who could pick up real talent at bargain prices (T C was one) Wilder has got the place buzzing and I just up the board back him.

4 hours ago, petcharlie said:

A nice post echo I can go back a few years to but not as far as you I started in the early 60s the best i can remember is in the John Harris years .I remember being in top spot in the 1st div (now prem) and going to old trafford where we could not get in it was a full house there must have been 20 thousand in the car park so I listened to it on the car radio and Goerge Best scored a corker it was shown every Saturday night on match of the day.It was our first defeat that season we had a great team then and there has not been one better since but Wilder is well on his way to matching that era .The guy has performed miracles very similar to Harris who could pick up real talent at bargain prices (T C was one) Wilder has got the place buzzing and I just up the board back him.

I was at the OT game and I was in the ground early, obviously wasn't all ticket. Rumours were that there were thousands of Blades locked out.

1 minute ago, Ridgewalk said:

I was at the OT game and I was in the ground early, obviously wasn't all ticket. Rumours were that there were thousands of Blades locked out.

You are right i was one of them 20000 outside 

I have some great memories of Bramall Lane too. Freddie Truman, Johnny Wardle, Brian Close, great days.☺️

Just kidding lads, I am really pleased for you all, always rooted for South Yorkshire clubs, always will. I wish Wednesday had grabbed their new manager a few weeks earlier and both clubs might have been back in the bigtime, just like the 60s. Oh well, maybe the Owls will join you next year. Meantime, I would love you to pull another Leicester City, although that was probably a once in a lifetime event. Good luck anyways.

36 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I have some great memories of Bramall Lane too. Freddie Truman, Johnny Wardle, Brian Close, great day

Please Mr. T.  add Sir Geoffrey to that list.

7 minutes ago, Padders said:

Please Mr. T.  add Sir Geoffrey to that list.

I always boycotted games when he was playing.😊 Actually, I never saw him play live. I stopped going to cricket matches at the lane after I left school. He hadn't started playing for Yorkshire in those days.  I used to take afternoons off from school to watch weekday cricket, but couldn't do that after I started work. Of course, I saw lots of football there, but you know what, I have never been to a game at the lane without the pavilion being there, in all its glory. Never seen a live game there since they made it 4 sides.

37 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

I always boycotted games when he was playing.😊 Actually, I never saw him play live. I stopped going to cricket matches at the lane after I left school. He hadn't started playing for Yorkshire in those days.  I used to take afternoons off from school to watch weekday cricket, but couldn't do that after I started work. Of course, I saw lots of football there, but you know what, I have never been to a game at the lane without the pavilion being there, in all its glory. Never seen a live game there since they made it 4 sides.

The last Yorkshire game at the Lane was v Lancashire in 1973, I think Boycott got 11 and it ended in a draw as it poured down one of  days. The Cherry Street stand opened in 1976.

Edited by St Petre
Add

1973.    I think,  Tony Currie  sitting on the ball in  front of Alan Ball. The Blades won Arsenal  5 - 0.

Currie reacting to Alan Ball the previous season. We thought those days would never end, how naive we were. This is the best feeling I’ve had about the Blades since those halcyon days.

Cricket. Never went to a match at the Lane but did take in Yorkshire and England at Bratfud and Headingley.

Sharpe, Hampshire, Taylor, Boycott, Illingworth, Close. 

UTB

My first Blades team. Hodgy, Badger, B. Shaw, Mallender, Munks, Flynn, Reece, Jones, Birchenall, Woodward, Wagstaff(s)