Save Bird Population by Keeping Cats indoors.

7 minutes ago, vwkittie said:

I've got two nest boxes, both used (blue tits), two well frequented feeding areas with multiple species, and at least two other nests (long tailed tit and wren) in my garden.... and two cats!

Yes they have occasionally brought down a bird but that's life. They also kill rats, mice and rabbits. The RSPB's stance seems very balanced and sensible to me.

The real problem is habitat loss. Moaning about a predator killing likely weak/sickly prey whilst sitting in your lovely new estate house built  all over an area where lapwings used to breed and now can't (this example based on a real planning application that's trying to go through now) seems a bit daft, imo. 

Excellent post. I can think of at least one site where they've stuck a thwacking great warehouse - providing much needed jobs and investment - where lapwings used to nest. 

1 hour ago, beefface said:

Regular cat presence will definitely discourage bird activity in your garden - whether it’s feeding stations, nesting boxes etc. People who own cats appear to think that it’s fine for their pets to roam all over others property- defecating, urinating and scaring the birds. Whereas as a dog owner I’m (rightfully) expected to keep my dog off others property and to have full control of it when out walking. It’s not the cats fault, of course it’s either carelessness or cluelessness of the owners thats the problem. 

And of course dogs dont defecate or urinate on others property do they?  That dog crap I see on the paths is a figment of my imagination isnt it, or damn big cats :)

29 minutes ago, Padders said:

Cats are scared stiff of the Magpies where I live.

Wish they were round our way. 😺 too many cats.

27 minutes ago, alchemist said:

And of course dogs dont defecate or urinate on others property do they?  That dog crap I see on the paths is a figment of my imagination isnt it, or damn big cats :)

You’re damn right! It’s disgusting. The owners must be careless or clueless eh?

2 hours ago, beefface said:

Regular cat presence will definitely discourage bird activity in your garden - whether it’s feeding stations, nesting boxes etc. People who own cats appear to think that it’s fine for their pets to roam all over others property- defecating, urinating and scaring the birds. Whereas as a dog owner I’m (rightfully) expected to keep my dog off others property and to have full control of it when out walking. It’s not the cats fault, of course it’s either carelessness or cluelessness of the owners thats the problem. 

Found the cat hater... theres always one that pops up on these threads...

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

Agreed.

Birds have a great advantage over cats - birds can fly - cats can't.

Unless cats get airborne they're not really going to do that much damage to the bird population.

My cat only ever really caught ducks as they take a bit of time to get airbourne.

rabbits, mice and rats though  - thousands over the years he had from the fields...

20 minutes ago, Obelix said:

Found the cat hater... theres always one that pops up on these threads...

My cat only ever really caught ducks as they take a bit of time to get airbourne.

rabbits, mice and rats though  - thousands over the years he had from the fields...

No, no , no you’ve got me all wrong! it’s not the cats, it’s the dozy owners! ‘thought I’d  made that clear.

Edited by beefface

Cats, this brand new phenomenon  that has caught everyone unawares with their antics!

3 hours ago, spilldig said:

Can't see anything stupid about that post,  in fact I could add, digging up peoples plants as well to the list.

well generally since cats as a species need to go out, its a nonsense idea to blame the owners for what the cats get up to, its their nature to be out, to hunt, and to bury their poo.

Its not the owners that force cats to go out, just boot em out the house despite the cats wishes, its nonsense to expect the owners to know exactly where theyve gone and what they are doing...cats are cats and do cat things.

Its also nonsense to equate cats and dogs together..dogs do as they are told, go with the owners etc and are always at close quarters.

just because somebody hates cats and what they get up to doesnt mean its the owners faults.

8 minutes ago, melthebell said:

well generally since cats as a species need to go out, its a nonsense idea to blame the owners for what the cats get up to, its their nature to be out, to hunt, and to bury their poo.

Its not the owners that force cats to go out, just boot em out the house despite the cats wishes, its nonsense to expect the owners to know exactly where theyve gone and what they are doing...cats are cats and do cat things.

Its also nonsense to equate cats and dogs together..dogs do as they are told, go with the owners etc and are always at close quarters.

just because somebody hates cats and what they get up to doesnt mean its the owners faults.

I know people who have cats and don’t let them roam all over others property, this obviously takes a little time, training and application. They have a cat litter which they train the cat to use. Like I said, it’s not the cats fault, it’s the dozy owners.

Oddly isn't it Windows in urban Towns & Cities that  kill more birds than anything else.

Sheffield has quite a few Birds of Prey, I'm sure everyone will be praising the parents again on every headless pigeon, the Perigines delivery to their brood this year.

Natures mean to birds, last week on Monday we had female duck  plus 9 ducklings  zero by Tuesday, Magpies, Crow, Foxes are all in the frame before any cat.

If I had a cat and thought it was killing birds I would put a bell on its collar. :roll:

2 hours ago, steve68 said:

Oddly isn't it Windows in urban Towns & Cities that  kill more birds than anything else.

Sheffield has quite a few Birds of Prey, I'm sure everyone will be praising the parents again on every headless pigeon, the Perigines delivery to their brood this year.

Natures mean to birds, last week on Monday we had female duck  plus 9 ducklings  zero by Tuesday, Magpies, Crow, Foxes are all in the frame before any cat.

Somebody or something once compromised our swans and worried our peacocks. The groundsman took a severe lashing for that lapse.

Edited by beefface