eGPU Box - Thunderbolt

1 hour ago, swarfendor437 said:

Zorin 15 supports Thunderbolt devices. ;)

** sigh **

7 hours ago, swarfendor437 said:

Zorin 15 supports Thunderbolt devices. ;)

Thanks swarf... really helpful.

We all know that you like Linux but do you really need to go on every none-Linux thread to let us know that Linux does this or that or generally put down any other OS?

On 29/04/2019 at 10:43, Ghozer said:

From what I know, they do the job - but you won't get full performance from the card, as thunderbolt cannot provide enough bandwidth for full PCIe 3.0 x16 so it will not give the same performance as a PC from the same GPU...

however, it should be more than enough for pretty much any game atm, there is info on the apple website about which boxes / cards are recommended etc.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208544

I'd be interested to know how well this works in practice, in the real world , as i'm only going from my own previous research and things I have seen/read/watched about eGPU enclosures online etc...

for a 2015 Macbook pro, i'd target around an RX570  (depending on which configuration she has obviously :) )

Some performance analysis here

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pcie-slot-dgpu-vs-thunderbolt-3-egpu-internal-display-test/

That's still going to be a big improvement over the built in.

14 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Some performance analysis here

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pcie-slot-dgpu-vs-thunderbolt-3-egpu-internal-display-test/

That's still going to be a big improvement over the built in.

Thanks for that.

It's certainly not terrible performance and it would save her (well me!) money.  I know she'd want to stay with a "real" mac and I can understand that with the cash she has invested in software.

I see what your saying about the GPU Ghozer but with the price of the 8GB RX580 being sub £200 and the Vega 56/64 dropping fast, I'd sooner fill it with the best performing that money allowed.

Anyone and recommendations on makes/models? 

I'd suggest you hit up google for some group tests.

It looks like Razer get decent reviews but a bit more reading needed I think.

11 hours ago, zach said:

Thanks swarf... really helpful.

We all know that you like Linux but do you really need to go on every none-Linux thread to let us know that Linux does this or that or generally put down any other OS?

Not put other OS down - just discovered that Zorin 15 supports Thunderbolt - Zorin has been installed on a few Macs as far as I can tell. :wink:

24 minutes ago, swarfendor437 said:

Not put other OS down - just discovered that Zorin 15 supports Thunderbolt - Zorin has been installed on a few Macs as far as I can tell. :wink:

Why not, have a play! I find it keeps my mind in check by putting OSs on things they aren't meant for. It's also a very good way to update your knowledge on the finer points of BIOS settings, file systems and hardware. My latest Hack gets Thundrbolt tomorrow if it gets delivered. Finished the WiFi today.

I have looked at one version of what you are talking about but it was specifically created for a specific AMD board which I don't own - I don't have an Intel rig to play with. ;)

I've even played with Free BSD and stuck Gnome on it in the past.

Edited by swarfendor437

Grab a link to it if you think on. I've never seen a AMD build and the forum I've been using will burn you as a witch if you mention such things!

As I had a spare SSD I added Mint to the list last night. Working well but for the life of me I can't get Kodi to see the internet on it...very odd and a problem to solve another day.