Credit to the Leeds Manager

3 minutes ago, Padders said:

Suspect you enjoyed that Mr. T.

That was in later in life, over here. We were playing a German team half our age. They were all visiting engineers for a German company which was associated with my company in Canada. They were all big on rugby and we had a  company team that played Sundays and they got a side together with a few locals and challenged us. The perfume trick, along with some of us acting  a little effeminate  completely unnerved them and we won. They were particularly nervous when in the scrum Lol. All taken in good fun, I must add.

22 hours ago, AMR67 said:

As much as I admire the actions of the Leeds Manager, you have to ask yourself would he have done the same if Leeds needed the win to go above The Blades and into the automatic promotion spot, I think not. He would have just said "the referee did not stop the game, we played to the whistle" etc.

I would imagine so too, and to be fair the striker Kodjia went down very easy and inside Leeds half of the pitch.  Almost immediately the ball was in Villa's half and Leeds had a genuine chance of attack so you can understand why play was allowed to continue.  The Villa players then all stood around gesturing when they should have gone for a tackle.

Edited by geared

On ‎28‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:32, Ontarian1981 said:

What happened, video won't work over here? Read about it, but not seen the footage. I can get Sky, but it was over by the time I got up. Those noon games are 7 am here lol. No way was I getting up to see bloody Leeds .lol. I have gone to Sky a couple of times but still not seen the footage. Like the OP said it sounds like it was a ballsy gesture by the Leeds manager, kudos to him. Wonder if he would have done it had the automatic spot been dependant on the result of this game. We will never know, I guess.

The video won't play for me either Mr.T, Try Youtube the highlights are on there.

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

The video won't play for me either Mr.T, Try Youtube the highlights are on there.

Thanks, I have seen them now. What a mess, bunch of spoiled brats.  lol

4 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Yep, sends a great message out to up and coming footballers.

52 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Don't like watching LUFC replays, the very sight of Billy Bremner causes my stomach to wretch. liked the Jeff Astle 'goal' one tho'.

If Leeds don't get promoted, I suspect that Bielsa will move on and be remembered for his sportsmanship rather than his team coming third in a two horse race.

On 30/04/2019 at 16:37, St Petre said:

Don't like watching LUFC replays, the very sight of Billy Bremner causes my stomach to wretch. liked the Jeff Astle 'goal' one tho'.

Have you ever seen the film "The damned united"? It's about Cloughie and his obsession with changing Leeds style of play during his short tenure there. He hated Revie so much that he alienated the likes of Bremner, Giles and Hunter so much that they basically wouldn't play for him. Great insight into Clough's abrasive management style. Michael Sheen is excellent as Clough.

Edited by Ontarian1981
spelling mistake

On 28/04/2019 at 20:24, Litotes said:

Credit to the Leeds Manager, Marcelo Bielsa for his response in the Villa game.

One of his players wasn't very sporting. Patrick Bamford has been charged by the FA charged with successful deception of a match official for getting Aston Villa player Anwar El Ghazi sent off, he went down holding his face after an altercation with El Ghazi.

There is too much cheating in the game, holding and pulling in the penalty area and players going down as though they have been hit by a lorry, pathetic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48106530

8 hours ago, iansheff said:

One of his players wasn't very sporting. Patrick Bamford has been charged by the FA charged with successful deception of a match official for getting Aston Villa player Anwar El Ghazi sent off, he went down holding his face after an altercation with El Ghazi.

There is too much cheating in the game, holding and pulling in the penalty area and players going down as though they have been hit by a lorry, pathetic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48106530

This crap is what puts a lot of folks off football in North America. They way they go down over nothing gets them thinking it's a cissies game. I have had loads of arguments with Canadians and Americans, saying that football is a tough game to play, especially at a high level, but those kinds of antics give my arguments little credibility, I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

This crap is what puts a lot of folks off football in North America. They way they go down over nothing gets them thinking it's a cissies game. I have had loads of arguments with Canadians and Americans, saying that football is a tough game to play, especially at a high level, but those kinds of antics give my arguments little credibility, I'm afraid.

What do we expect Mr. T. when they have no idea how to make tea (the drink) properly and are literally clueless as to the proper way to conduct themselves when approaching a great plate of soup armed only with a spoon  -don't start me on soup spoons. The baseball finals where only teams from two countries participate is referred to as the 'World Series'.

Edited by St Petre
add

36 minutes ago, St Petre said:

What do we expect Mr. T. when they have no idea how to make tea (the drink) properly and are literally clueless as to the proper way to conduct themselves when approaching a great plate of soup armed only with a spoon  -don't start me on soup spoons. The baseball finals where only teams from two countries participate is referred to as the 'World Series'.

Some funny insights of the North  American way there.Lol. However in defence of the World Series, apparently it was named that by a sponsoring newspaper called The Daily World, who suggested the champions of both the National League and American League meet in a best of 7 series of games to decide who were the Champions of baseball for any given year. A bit like American football with the AFC champion meeting the  NFC champion in the Super Bowl, except that is a one and done event, unlike all the other American sports who play a best of 7 final.