The shame of Saudi Arabia

On 27/04/2019 at 15:56, hauxwell said:

It’s awful how they execute people In Saudi Arabia.  Is it something to do with their religion why they use these barbaric methods of execution and other methods of punishment such as sentencing someone to be whipped?

You’re right when you say money takes precedence.  I’m sure we will hear our government voice it’s opinion again in the future when the next poor victim hits the headlines after they have been executed, and that will be about all Government will do until as Top Cats Hat says we no longer need them.

Surely the methods of execution in Saudi centuries earlier can’t be any worse than they are today.  Having said that there was something on TV last year saying that up until 1870 in this country anyone found guilty of treason could still be 

hung drawn and quartered. Thought that was abolished well before then.

There are a lot of ancient laws still on the books in Britain, that have never been enforced for centuries. We were discussing one on here not too long ago about a law where the City of York was ordering  it's citizens to seek out and slay all Scotsmen on sight. This goes back to William Wallace vowing to capture the  English Monarch's Northern seat. Apparently, this law still exists.  lol

33 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

There are a lot of ancient laws still on the books in Britain, that have never been enforced for centuries. We were discussing one on here not too long ago about a law where the City of York was ordering  it's citizens to seek out and slay all Scotsmen on sight. This goes back to William Wallace vowing to capture the  English Monarch's Northern seat. Apparently, this law still exists.  lol

Like it! That's got to be the only law beginning 'Thou must......' rather than 'Thou must not......'

The livelihoods of the thousands of citizens in the UK simply takes priority and to put it bluntly, quite rightly so.

10 hours ago, Ontarian1981 said:

There is one ancient law that is still in practice that goes back to the Norman Conquest here in Newcastle Upon Tyne today.  The Town Moor, a large piece of green land in the city centre were farmers bring their cattle to graze in the summer months.  It fascinated me when I moved here a few years ago.  A rare sight in a city centre but nice to see. 

It is interesting to know about the City of York law. The Mayor of York should  send an invite to Nicola Sturgeon, pesky woman and her independence for Scotland, she might not know about the law to slay Scotsmen on sight still exists, or could that make a difference because she’s a woman?

It would be nice to start a thread on ancient laws and if they still exist today.  Will have to see if I can get a copy of The Domesday Book from the library and brush up on it, but I think the book could be hard going for me.

Better get back on topic, unlike Saudi Arabia we have moved on from  medieval punishments that use to be part of our laws, but they haven’t.

28 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

here in Newcastle Upon Tyne today.  The Town Moor, a large piece of green land in the city centre were farmers bring their cattle to graze in the summer months.  It fascinated me when I moved here a few years ago.  A rare sight in a city centre but nice to see. 

I don’t want to be picky but the Town Moor in Newcastle is not in the city centre but on the outskirts of the town.

It’s actually in a place called Jesmond 😉

13 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

I don’t want to be picky but the Town Moor in Newcastle is not in the city centre but on the outskirts of the town.

It’s actually in a place called Jesmond 😉

The Town Moor is on the out skirts of Newcastle City Centre. It’s equivalent to walking from M&S in Sheffield  Centre to  Atkinson’s and that would be the start of the Town Moor.  

On 27/04/2019 at 21:47, taxman said:

Another travesty on Tony Blair`s watch.

On 29/04/2019 at 03:47, ez8004 said:

The livelihoods of the thousands of citizens in the UK simply takes priority and to put it bluntly, quite rightly so.

But would you still feel that way if it was your neck awaiting the swift heavy blow of a steel sword severing your head from your shoulders because you had posted a comment on social media.

On 01/05/2019 at 20:09, Janus said:

But would you still feel that way if it was your neck awaiting the swift heavy blow of a steel sword severing your head from your shoulders because you had posted a comment on social media.

But it isn’t. So how is it my problem?

It`s not your problem.  Did someone say that it was :huh:

Edited by Janus

The recent beheadings in Saudi Arabia are evil beyond words, as are the nations that choose to look the other way. 

Seems to have got hurried today. Government  disclosed in parliament today of arms licences with regard to three government Dept DTI, foreigne office plus a  other  were given out regarding arms sales were not signed off by he top dogs including ministers before being issued.