Jump to content

Using old router with new ISP?

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Waldo..

 

Can I ask why you didn't go for fibre?

 

If you want my Hub One (after May 8th) then let me know. It think it should work OK if you enter your Plusnet password.

Edited by apelike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, apelike said:

Waldo..

 

Can I ask why you didn't go for fibre?

 

If you want my Hub One (after May 8th) then let me know. It think it should work OK if you enter your Plusnet password.

Just don't either of you forget to inform PN though, otherwise it will still be logged on their system against apelikes' account - not ideal if you encounter problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Just don't either of you forget to inform PN though, otherwise it will still be logged on their system against apelikes' account - not ideal if you encounter problems.

Nah, that's not how it works - if you change the username within the router to your own, and use your password it will log in on their servers as you, - it wont work otherwise (as your username is tied to your phone line) no need to change anything else, or inform anyone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

Nah, that's not how it works - if you change the username within the router to your own, and use your password it will log in on their servers as you, - it wont work otherwise (as your username is tied to your phone line) no need to change anything else, or inform anyone...

Sorry, @Ghozer - I am active on the PN support forums, and can assure you that whilst your connection would 'work' as you describe, the back-end systems at PN will still have the router logged against apelikes account, and therefore if Waldo has cause to query connection problems or suchlike, when PN run any tests, the internal system will still 'see' the original users records.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Sorry, @Ghozer - I am active on the PN support forums, and can assure you that whilst your connection would 'work' as you describe, the back-end systems at PN will still have the router logged against apelikes account, and therefore if Waldo has cause to query connection problems or suchlike, when PN run any tests, the internal system will still 'see' the original users records.

Things must have changed a fair bit since I worked there (2008 tbf) - guess I need to brush up on the Fiber routers, and how they work/interact with the back-end then, as I know previously it was tied to the phone number, as long as the username/pass etc was correct, - if you tried to connect with someone elses username (even if they were on PN) it wouldn't work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Ghozer said:

Things must have changed a fair bit since I worked there (2008 tbf) - guess I need to brush up on the Fiber routers, and how they work/interact with the back-end then, as I know previously it was tied to the phone number, as long as the username/pass etc was correct, - if you tried to connect with someone elses username (even if they were on PN) it wouldn't work!

I am fairly certain, from the admittedly  few instances that occur, that the router is now configured to your account.

*Whether it is configured to your account, or the phone number, the data gathered by PN for diagnostic purposes would not be correct as the system would be looking for the phone number/account that the router was initially configured against.*

 

However, and as an aside, I would suggest using a BT HH6 - the current Hub0/Hub1 offerings from  PN are not renowned for their wireless capabilities.

Edited by RollingJ
Added text inside *-*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all.

 

I've got another wifi router (without modem) I can connect to the plusnet one, and use that for wifi. I've done that before okay, the only issue was internet was intermittently dropping.

 

I'll wait till the service goes live and see how it is. The 10/100 mbit lan may not be an issue after all. I have current router connected by cable to gigabit switch which has my Mac and NAS wired directly in to it,

 

Thinking the main issue with the plusnet router could be wifi signal quality and range.

 

Servie goes live on the 13th. Will let you know how it goes.

 

Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

So, went live with plusnet today. As expected, their router isn't great...

 

Tried connecting my old t-link router to it and that's not great (suspect something faulty with my t-link). Tried configuring the old ee router, and it won't let me set the user name to anything not in the expected format (ending in @fs I think). So, probably need to buy new router...

 

Would like something moderately configurable with good wifi. Someone suggested BT homehub 6; any good (will it work)? Any others to consider? Something that will work with multiple service providers?

 

Thanks.

Edited by Waldo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi, I have PlusNet fibre and was using with the supplied Hub One but was having to reset the router every couple of weeks as the download speed dropped by a third. My son also has PlusNet fibre and the same thing was happening to him so he swapped the hub one for a BT smart home hub 6 and it cured the problem. I have since bought a BT hub 6 ( not Bt Hub 5 ) for £16 and very easy to installi. It has cured the problem totally. Much better quality than the PlusNet router and totally compatible. 

Edited by baddodaddo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the Hub 6, not on plusnet though.

 

The ONLY downside I find is the home network list. If you have test builds going on, it can be a pain. General use, it's very good. The wifi is good too, speeds will depend on your devices/wifi cards.

 

Turn off the BT rubbish and split the wifi... good router.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.