Using old router with new ISP?

I'm switching ISP, from EE to Plusnet. New Plusnet router has arrived, and I'm not sure it has a gigabit ethernet port (the old EE one has a gigabit ethernet port marked). Also, reading some poor reviews of the plusnet router.

So, my question is, can I use the old EE router with the plusnet broadband service when it goes live?

8 minutes ago, Waldo said:

So, my question is, can I use the old EE router with the plusnet broadband service when it goes live?

I don't know but when BT Home Hub were making the best routers, I tried to use one on my internet account (non BT) and it took forever to reconfigure and constantly needed re booting.

I suspect you can but it probably isn't worth it

Posted (edited)

From experience.

Are you on Fibre to the Cabinet? When I changed from EE to Plusnet I could not use the EE router as it was locked down so I used the supplied white Plusnet router. When I changed from Plusnet to First Utility I  noticed that when I was switched over my Plusnet router was still connected and working although I was connected to First Utility (TT network) and am still using it. Apparently some ISP's on fibre use the landline number as the ID so it was not necessary to use the First Utility router which was rubbish anyway. To be honest I have had no problems whatsoever with the Plusnet router and all the 4 ports on it are also Gigabit ports.

I have since change again to Vodafone which is due to be connected on the 8th May so will see what happens then as the Vodafone router does seem to be a good router.

Edited by apelike

Plusnet routers aren't great - but they do 'work'

and yes, it's only 10/100 NOT Gigabit.... annoyingly...

the EE router may work - providing the username/password (if required) is correct, and the VCI/VPI and such are correct (most ISP's use the same settings)

If you can modify the EE router settings, you can view all the required ones for Plusnet here..
https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Thanks Ghozer, I'll give that a whirl when the service goes live.

Hi Waldo , I have Plusnet broadband and use a BT Homehub 5 router which I bought new off ebay for £20 I think. No problems setting it up ( and I am a bit of a computer illiterate) and I can confirm it works perfectly . Someone more au fait  than me with these things told me the Plusnet router was not too hot and recommended the BT  Homehub .

Posted (edited)

^^ PlusNet and BT routers will generally work on each other any way, PlusNet is owned by BT and technically the same network...

Edited by Ghozer

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Ghozer said:

....and yes, it's only 10/100 NOT Gigabit.... annoyingly...

That's odd as the one I have is the same as the ones currently supplied, a Plusnet Hub One and has 4 Gigabit ports.

Features:
• VDSL Support (No need for an Openreach Modem for FTTC)
• Dual band Wi-Fi
• Wireless AC
• Supports WPS for easy Wi-Fi setup
Gigabit Ethernet (up to 1000Mbps wired)
• Built in help flows in the router user interface to help if the customer has a connection problem.
• Will be used for new Plusnet Fibre customers
• Fits through the customers letter box
• USB port for connecting storage drive
• Automatic setup, no need to enter customer details on first connection

Tech Specs:
• Supports PPPoA, PPPoE, VDSL and WAN Ethernet
4 x RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps LAN Ethernet ports
• 1 x RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps WAN Ethernet port

Edited by apelike

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, apelike said:

That's odd as the one I have is the same as the ones currently supplied, a Plusnet Hub One and has 4 Gigabit ports.

Features:
Gigabit Ethernet (up to 1000Mbps wired)
4 x RJ45 10/100/1000Mbps LAN Ethernet ports

Also odd, as even in the link that Waldo posted, it states (for the one he has, specifically)

LAN ports 4x 10x100Mbit/s"

*edit*
ah, you have the "Hub One" - this is for fiber, he has the "Hub Zero" - which is for standard ADSL2....

as ADSL 2 won't generally need more than a 100mbps port (as you will generally get about ~30mbps download on ADSL) they dont provide Gigabit ports on it as they dont deem it as a requirement to reach the max capable speed of the connection....

Edited by Ghozer

^^^^

Sorry, somehow I didnt see the link. So that would be the Hub Zero then which is worth about the same...... :hihi: