EFL call off Bolton match - local implications?

The match with Brentford has been called off as the Bolton players have said they wouldn't play unless they received the wages they were owed  since March.

"As a result of these disappointing developments, the league has been forced to suspend Saturday's fixture," an EFL statement said.

Edited by iansheff

That is really sad. The supporters deserve better than this. How the mighty have fallen, I remember their old Chairman once upon a time wanting to make the Premier league a closed shop whilst they were in it.

We've lost our way, I remember years ago when we looked at Scottish football and there was only 2 teams that could win anything, I used to think thank god we don't have that here, but unfortunately now we do.

We now have a global brand- the Premier League- which is detrimental to what was handed down to us. We, the supporters haven't messed this up, the whole organisation has been infiltrated by business men to the detriment of the people who love the game.

Uniteds going up this season, I'll not pretend, I don't like them, I never have, but seriously, they are like lambs to the slaughter. Honestly, what will be their goal? To stay up, because they haven't a chance of winning the league. They could have a pop at the Cup, which is something else destroyed by big business.

And why, nothing at all here for English supporters, it's all about the money. Football has been wrenched from the supporters and we'll never get it back. 

Wow.....thats a real shock,was a time Bolton were a real force in english football and Burnden Park hosted FA cup semis.

Footballs gone down a route thats alienated many supporters,me included,the involvement of sky and the formation of the  premier league have turned it from a sport to a business,controlled by a majority of 6 english clubs that ride over the wishes of the other 86,the sooner those 6 leave for permenant euro football and a swipe at global domination,cant come quick enough for me.

Football needs a reality check,we havent won a major as a nation since I was 6 years old,and yet we have the most watched teams on the planet?

Only six teams have been ever present in the Premier and only two in the top flight since 1960.

Of local interest is the similarity in the recent composition of the top league and in the 60's, with the exception of the replacement of the three Leeds and Sheffield teams by their Yorkshire rivals in Hull, Huddersfield and Middlesbrough.

Countless times the phrase of " domination " and blaming the "system"  has been repeated in Sheffield pubs- perhaps there is a link between lack of success and blaming change?

It is a Sheffield footballing matter, or at least a potential issue.

If Bolton don’t fulfil their fixtures I presume that their record will be expunged. That means that United and Leeds (and Wednesday and others) will lose six points.  No problem there, it won’t affect the league standings.  However, goal differences will be affected. United and Leeds will be three goals closer to each other.  That brings out a new set of troubling scenarios.

It is possible that Leeds could overtake United on goal difference after the season has finished, if results go a certain way and if Bolton don’t complete their fixtures. It is a long shot, admittedly, but it is a possibility nonetheless. 

This is really is a totally unsatisfactory state of affairs and really the EFL should have done much better. What do other people think? Would it be ok for the league to be decided after it has ended? I can’t see this ending well, personally.

12 hours ago, staninoodle said:

Wow.....thats a real shock,was a time Bolton were a real force in english football and Burnden Park hosted FA cup semis.

Footballs gone down a route thats alienated many supporters,me included,the involvement of sky and the formation of the  premier league have turned it from a sport to a business,controlled by a majority of 6 english clubs that ride over the wishes of the other 86,the sooner those 6 leave for permenant euro football and a swipe at global domination,cant come quick enough for me.

Football needs a reality check,we havent won a major as a nation since I was 6 years old,and yet we have the most watched teams on the planet?

As Sky and 6 or 7 clubs dominate and format the days we play, the times we kick off, the wages that are paid and the movement of the 'top' players between the same 'top' clubs in Europe, the worse the game will be for me n' thee.

It's akin to the state of the country and Europe where 60% of the money is in the hands of 5% of the people.

It's failing day by day, and will continue to fail until the French shut Calais for 6 months, the Italians down tools, the German people get fed up with financing the EEC (after we've left) and the Brits have the courage to tell our Government that 'enough is enough'.

Whilever clubs continue to give players 300+ thousand pounds a week, give Agents millions a year and 'demand' £110m  (and more) for a player's transfer fee, then the game hasn't got a prayer.

It's no coincidence that on National Sports Radio Stations, thousands of callers are moaning and griping (Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea etc, etc) that the players 'are not fit to wear the shirt' or are not 'playing for the shirt'

Put the world's players on £2,000 a week, and in time, their passion and their loyalties will be applied in the right places.

They'd 'play for the shirt' if they were representing their home town team, or were treated as 'normal people' who can play football a bit, rather than Superstars who have 10m followers on Myface or whatever.

I hope the new Bolton owner walks the walk, as he's spoken of the best intentions and he says he's got a number of local wealthy backers.

It's a shame you have to be filthy rich to get involved with a Football Club, but that's the way the population keeps voting.

Edited by Hotmale 1954

The EFL have stated this morning, that Bolton MUST fulfil their remaining games, even if  they have to field a team of 14 year olds.

I assume that Professionals at the club may stick together and ALL refuse to play, but there will be unpaid players at the club who will be 'advised to play'..... or else.

30 minutes ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

The EFL have stated this morning, that Bolton MUST fulfil their remaining games, even if  they have to field a team of 14 year olds.

I assume that Professionals at the club may stick together and ALL refuse to play, but there will be unpaid players at the club who will be 'advised to play'..... or else.

That’s a big turn around. I was listening to 5live last night and the EFL had things in place to stop clubs just chucking a side full of youngsters ie 5 of the previous squad must be in the current squad. 

2 hours ago, Pettytom said:

It is a Sheffield footballing matter, or at least a potential issue.

If Bolton don’t fulfil their fixtures I presume that their record will be expunged. That means that United and Leeds (and Wednesday and others) will lose six points.  No problem there, it won’t affect the league standings.  However, goal differences will be affected. United and Leeds will be three goals closer to each other.  That brings out a new set of troubling scenarios.

It is possible that Leeds could overtake United on goal difference after the season has finished, if results go a certain way and if Bolton don’t complete their fixtures. It is a long shot, admittedly, but it is a possibility nonetheless. 

This is really is a totally unsatisfactory state of affairs and really the EFL should have done much better. What do other people think? Would it be ok for the league to be decided after it has ended? I can’t see this ending well, personally.

L...s beat Bolton 1-0 &2-1 

Blades beat Bolton 2-0 & 3-0

By my reckoning  thats gives Blades a further 3 goals advantage on top of the 11 they have now

Football here revolves around the Premier league, all the other leagues are insignificant in the eyes of the media apart from when it is the cup and they are looking for an upset. Look at the BBC on Good Friday the only league not playing was the PL but there was no Final Score on the BBC that I could see. The money is aimed at the PL, Sky have brought this about by paying ridiculous amounts of money into the game, primarily benefitting  the  big PL clubs who pay out ridiculous wages. Teams who get relegated from the PL are given an unfair advantage with parachute payments so clubs are still paying big money to the players who have not kept them in the PL.  A bad season and not in contention for a return to the PL with players still on good money and attendances dropping, clubs will struggle and try to over reach themselves and end up with big money problems. You have to feel sorry for the Bolton fans, no one wants to see an old established club go out of the league but it is going to happen if not to Bolton then another club. The shame is it won't be one of the big clubs with the multi millionaire owners like Tottenham, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and  Man City who are able to pay stupid wages, there ought to be a maximum wage limit but that will never happen because the big clubs have all the power.

1 hour ago, pintor said:

By my reckoning  thats gives Blades a further 3 goals advantage on top of the 11 they have now

Which is my point really. If the Bolton games get wiped, United’s goal difference reduces by three. What if that is enough for Leeds to overtake The Blades?

2 hours ago, pintor said:

How do you work that out? Leeds will have 3 goals taken off their goals for and one off against, Utd will have 5 taken off their goals for.

Utd now is         74 F 39 A would become 69F  39A 

Leeds now is     70F 46 A would become  67F  45A

Although it won't make any difference if the games are scratched, too many goals in Utds favour.

Edited by iansheff