Putting yourself 'On The Dole' ?????

14 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

I'm not sure which players (if any) it involves, but I was thinking (again) what a Footballer thinks about when they are close to, or have achieved Promotion, regarding their personal circumstances.

I often suspect that some of our players (Wednesday) don't really want to achieve that pinnacle as it would probably mean that they would be discarded and would need to look for another club.

I suppose a lot of players, in their minds, following a great Championship season, fancy a go at the League above and some will believe that they are good enough for, say, the Premier League.

Sadly, for the majority of them, it will mean dropping down to a squad position, or being moved on to where they've just come from, or even worse.

Do you think that 'Promotion to the Premier League' is a feather in their cap that they will cherish, or does it not really matter one jot to them either way?

It looks like United have achieved promotion this season (well done to them, they've fought hard for it and deserve it) but realistically, how many of their squad will be, or have a good chance of being, an established Premier League Player?

Should we have made the Play-Offs and by some miracle, made the Premier League, how many of our players could look forward to a year or two of Top Flight Football?

It seems to me that, the higher one gets, the further one falls.

That said, I hope Wilder gives his players every chance of enjoying lots of games in the Prem.

They've earned their place in the Spotlight and should be given time to enjoy it for a while.

It's expected that United will suffer and struggle in the Top Flight.

Don't put money on it, it's Chris Wilder we're talking about here.

He's not failed at anything yet, so don't underestimate him, or his team. 

Yes, funny at your own club that Fletcher, Hutchinson, and Hooper(off for nearly 2 years) suddenly become available and start playing now that they're after new contracts!

14 hours ago, SgtDave said:

The Championship? I hope so.

You're welcome 👍👍

You'll be thinking you're going to win the premiership next. Oh, hold on, you aren't thinking that already are you?

14 minutes ago, Bash Street said:

You'll be thinking you're going to win the premiership next. Oh, hold on, you aren't thinking that already are you?

I don't think so one thing you can not say about the Blades fans is they expect everything the opposite is nearer the truth to be honest.We are well known for being pessimists rather than optimists .I would rather call it realists unlike some fans who think their club are somewhat bigger and better than results this year and infact for a lot of years suggest .We are very proud of the achievements at our club in the past 2 or three years the success our manager who was voted the manager of the year ,has brought to our club is out of this world and was not expected especially at Sheff 6 and to be truthful by alot of blades fans to. 

11 minutes ago, petcharlie said:

I don't think so one thing you can not say about the Blades fans is they expect everything the opposite is nearer the truth to be honest.We are well known for being pessimists rather than optimists .I would rather call it realists unlike some fans who think their club are somewhat bigger and better than results this year and infact for a lot of years suggest .We are very proud of the achievements at our club in the past 2 or three years the success our manager who was voted the manager of the year ,has brought to our club is out of this world and was not expected especially at Sheff 6 and to be truthful by alot of blades fans to. 

Hmmm... :huh:

... even the most pessimistic of pessimists like myself are beginning to feel a bit giddy now though.

Fingers crossed... :nod:

Just now, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

... even the most pessimistic of pessimists like myself are beginning to feel a bit giddy now though.

Fingers crossed... :nod:

Me too,  and terrified it"s going to go all wrong,  lets hope the fat lady will be singing at the top of her voice Sat evening.

Yes Padders, I think the 'fat lady' will be singing 'Nessun Dorma', or 'None shall sleep' because all  Blades supporters will be restless tomorrow night either through pure elation at the thought of playing in the Premiership or despair at a golden opportunity passed by!

echo.

16 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

This thread's about players' mindsets and their views on 'what now? ' It's not about United's chances or finances. Players like Madine for instance and a few others who, deep down, think, or know they're probably not up to it. Most, I reckon, have clawed their way to the (soon to be) Unemployment Office.

Is the medal the driving force? Is it just the buzz?

Will they demand and warrant more money at their next club? 

It's a strange one, as I said, working so hard to put themselves out of work. 

I'm not knocking anyone, Wednesday's promotion would have raised the very same Topic from me.

I think for some,they will have an idea,there not good enough,after all the prem is full of top rate internationals,the goal for any player is to test out your skills at that level against that  class of opposition,I dont think it means the dole for those that dont get into the side or replaced,if theyve competed well enough at this level to be part of a promtion winning side then surely there will be championship clubs that will re employ them.

For sure promoted clubs will want upgrades with the new found wealth,and managers will have ideas about the strenghts of players at that level so its natural progression.

I return to my original answer that Norwich have more or less told Farke he will have a budget of 20M and will have to use much of the current squad and promote youth,so many of those players will feel safe even if the side struggles as is expected.

Madine is a prime example,he was a usefull L1 striker but struggled in the transition to championship level,his stats of shots on target are brilliant one of the best,but his scoring record is still frugal,put him a level higher and hes going to look a fool,but hey our neighbours took him on

17 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

This thread's about players' mindsets and their views on 'what now? ' It's not about United's chances or finances. Players like Madine for instance and a few others who, deep down, think, or know they're probably not up to it. Most, I reckon, have clawed their way to the (soon to be) Unemployment Office.

Is the medal the driving force? Is it just the buzz?

Will they demand and warrant more money at their next club? 

It's a strange one, as I said, working so hard to put themselves out of work. 

I'm not knocking anyone, Wednesday's promotion would have raised the very same Topic from me.

Won't Madine be playing at Cardiff next season? Depends on them going down I suppose.

Yes, true. I forgot he was only a loan and put him out there as an example. 

I'm intrigued to see which, if any United players will be kept on. You never know, quite a few of them might make the step up once they're acclimatised.

8 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

Yes, true. I forgot he was only a loan and put him out there as an example. 

I'm intrigued to see which, if any United players will be kept on. You never know, quite a few of them might make the step up once they're acclimatised.

I'm inclined to think that most of the team will make a good show of it as they have demonstrated week in, week out so far.

What really makes me comfortable with the team is that there is not one player - first choice or sub - who makes me nervous when they play. The subs have been nothing less than fantastic when they have been brought on. I won't mention names as they have ALL stepped up to the plate.

I recently heard that the team is probably greater than the sum of its parts. Can't really disagree when you look at a team like L***s - some fairly big names (and big egos to match). But then we've got Chris Wilder - they've got Jack Duckworth.

10 minutes ago, SgtDave said:

I'm inclined to think that most of the team will make a good show of it as they have demonstrated week in, week out so far.

What really makes me comfortable with the team is that there is not one player - first choice or sub - who makes me nervous when they play. The subs have been nothing less than fantastic when they have been brought on. I won't mention names as they have ALL stepped up to the plate.

I recently heard that the team is probably greater than the sum of its parts. Can't really disagree when you look at a team like L***s - some fairly big names (and big egos to match). But then we've got Chris Wilder - they've got Jack Duckworth.

IF we get to the prem I feel the players who got us there deserve a crack at it also i believe most will be ok not world beaters I know but they will hold their own .The problem with the squad is some are getting on a bit and would need replacing if we get promoted or not and how can you replace such as Duffy or Sharp without spending huge amounts of cash for the same type of player.One thing we do have in our favour is we have the best manager to sniff out a bargain.When you think five players who played at Hull and produced a great performance were freebies.The most important thing when buying players is the person who is doing the buying and his judgement on what he see in the player and I feel in Wilder we have one of the best in that department.

2 hours ago, SgtDave said:

I'm inclined to think that most of the team will make a good show of it as they have demonstrated week in, week out. .......................Can't really disagree when you look at a team like L***s - some fairly big names (and big egos to match).

But then we've got Chris Wilder - they've got Jack Duckworth.

Jack Duckworth! :hihi:

2 hours ago, petcharlie said:

IF we get to the prem I feel the players who got us there deserve a crack at it also i believe most will be ok not world beaters I know but they will hold their own .The problem with the squad is some are getting on a bit and would need replacing if we get promoted or not and how can you replace such as Duffy or Sharp without spending huge amounts of cash for the same type of player.One thing we do have in our favour is we have the best manager to sniff out a bargain.When you think five players who played at Hull and produced a great performance were freebies.The most important thing when buying players is the person who is doing the buying and his judgement on what he see in the player and I feel in Wilder we have one of the best in that department.

I agree. The players should have the chance to step up.

Wilder's nurtured 'lesser' players from League 1 and the Championship to  perform very well. What I keep saying about ANY player is, that they MUST be able to play.

Clubs don't give contracts to players who 'aren't good enough'.

More often than not, it's players' attitudes that determine how well they gel, or how good they perform as individuals. I've slated some of our players for letting us (and Luhukay) down earlier in the season. Very poor attitudes.

Wilder has the ability (is it man management, fear, psychology, training or luck?) to make average and previously poor performing players up their game and play better than they have done for previous clubs.

The players could always play, but before Wilder, they chose not to.

One day, I hope to speak to a player who's played under Wilder, and find out what his secret is. What his methods are, because it's worked at every club he's been at.

Whether he can do it in the Premier league, we'll have to wait and see.

I suspect that he'll do pretty well. Or should I say, the players will do pretty well.

If Wilder 'loses the Dressing Room' then the club will drop like a stone.

I don't envisage him losing anything to be honest.

If he and the players can keep the momentum going, then a few people may get a big surprise. 

Edited by Hotmale 1954