British Billionaire equates paying more taxes to 'being raped'

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Those with a reasonable education will know that "rape" is from the Latin "rapere", meaning to take / grab / pinch. 

I would've  thought a  huge percentage of the adult population , on hearing the word  Rape would link it to one thing only .  Regardless of their education

2 hours ago, the_bloke said:

When the new top rate of 50% was introduced in 2010, tax receipts went down as people left the country or hid their money. When Osbourne reduced it to 45%, receipts went up. Labour's rates will lower the tax receipts again.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a headline grabbing, class war Labour policy.

The left think that simply putting the percentage up will always equal higher revenue. They don't understand that an optimum level is far more nuanced.

22 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I would've  thought a  huge percentage of the adult population , on hearing the word  Rape would link it to one thing only .  Regardless of their education

Depends on the context. I've heard people say things along the lines of "raped my wallet" when being overcharged, for example. It doesn't mean anything beyond language. Much in the same way as someone saying a singer "murdered" a song is not equating singing to killing a human being, or disrespecting murder victims.

48 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of a headline grabbing, class war Labour policy.

The left think that simply putting the percentage up will always equal higher revenue. They don't understand that an optimum level is far more nuanced.

Depends on the context. I've heard people say things along the lines of "raped my wallet" when being overcharged, for example. It doesn't mean anything beyond language. Much in the same way as someone saying a singer "murdered" a song is not equating singing to killing a human being, or disrespecting murder victims.

Depends whose defining what class war is. Some might say that the massive growth in the use of food banks since 2010 is evidence of class war.

Interestingly, he stayed in Britain when Gordon Brown introduced a top rate of income tax for those earning more than £150,000 per year. 

Perhaps his threat to leave the UK sometime soon might have something to do with the Brexit that he campaigned for:

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1074934/john-caudwell-politics-latest-brexit-brussels-mess-uk

He wouldn't be the only fantastically wealthy man who campaigned to leave / threaten to leave the UK because his precious Brexit has caused an almighty mess.

Edited by Mister M

8 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Depends whose defining what class war is. Some might say that the massive growth in the use of food banks since 2010 is evidence of class war.

Interestingly, he stayed in Britain when Gordon Brown introduced a top rate of income tax for those earning more than £150,000 per year. 

Perhaps his threat to leave the UK sometime soon might have something to do with the Brexit that he campaigned for:

https://www.express.co.uk/comment/expresscomment/1074934/john-caudwell-politics-latest-brexit-brussels-mess-uk

He wouldn't be the only fantastically wealthy man who campaigned to leave / threaten to leave the UK because his precious Brexit has caused an almighty mess.

Even Diane Abbott should be able to understand that total tax revenue is more important than headline percentage rate. If you raise the latter and it reduces the former, you've shot yourself in the foot.

Well, maybe not Diane Abbott, but people with a fundamental grasp of numbers.

A very poor choice of words from someone who should really know better.

Angel1.

11 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Surely they do understand that.  Despite how they sometimes appear, they're not actually idiots...  And they get forecasts from the numbers guys in the civil service who most definitely aren't.

The problem is that this is gesture politics, doing the best thing for the country or economy isn't the point, doing a thing that is perceived favourably by their voting block is the point, and this is why politics in this country is broken.

10 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Even Diane Abbott should be able to understand that total tax revenue is more important than headline percentage rate. If you raise the latter and it reduces the former, you've shot yourself in the foot.

Well, maybe not Diane Abbott, but people with a fundamental grasp of numbers.

Hold on a second. A billionaire has made an extremely ill-judged statement and pivoted this onto Dianne Abbott who herself has been subject to rape threats.

Step back and reflect. Just for a minute.

Edited by I1L2T3

10 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Hold on a second. A billionaire has made an extremely ill-judged statement and pivoted this onto Dianne Abbott who herself has been subject to rape threats.

Step back and reflect. Just for a minute.

I've reflected, and you're piecing together bits from different jigsaws, no doubt in an attempt at faux outrage. Diane Abbott is better known for her apparently limited mathematic ability, as well as being a left wing MP. A perfect example for my tax revenue Vs percent argument.

So on a topic about a billionaire, taxes and ill judged comments, you thought it necessary to attack Dianne Abbott instead of talking about the topic?

6 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So on a topic about a billionaire, taxes and ill judged comments, you thought it necessary to attack Dianne Abbott instead of talking about the topic?

"Attack"?! Really? Read the post again.

2 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I've reflected, and you're piecing together bits from different jigsaws, no doubt in an attempt at faux outrage. Diane Abbott is better known for her apparently limited mathematic ability, as well as being a left wing MP. A perfect example for my tax revenue Vs percent argument.

Less known is that she was also a member of the Treasury Select Committee from 1989 - 1997 and will therefore be no fool on economic matters.

I am aware that her slurred speech and cognitive slowness have caused much hilarity in the gutter press; but I suspect that the constant abuse on a daily basis may have something to do with that.

Edited by Mister M

19 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Less known is that she was also a member of the Treasury Select Committee from 1989 - 1997 and will therefore be no fool on economic matters.

I am aware that her slurred speech and cognitive slowness have caused much hilarity in the gutter press; but I suspect that the constant abuse on a daily basis may have something to do with that.

It's more her arithmetic ability rather than slurred speech which has amused me in the past.

She's an advocate of upping the top tax rate, which, as already discussed, is a counter productive virtue signal. Hardly economic competence.