British Billionaire equates paying more taxes to 'being raped'

Phones4U tycoon told the luxury lifestyle magazine Spears said that if Labour wins the election: "Why would be stay and be raped?"

Labour has proposed a 50 per cent tax rate on those earning more than £125,000, and a 45 per cent rate for those earning more than £80,000 - lower than it was during most of the Thatcher years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/phones4u-john-caudwell-leave-uk-monaco-taxes-corbyn-a8885796.html

Many counselling services and rape crisis centres are facing devastating cuts or being shut altogether so that real rape victims have not been able to access services ffs! :rant:

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Phones4U tycoon told the luxury lifestyle magazine Spears said that if Labour wins the election: "Why would be stay and be raped?"

Labour has proposed a 50 per cent tax rate on those earning more than £125,000, and a 45 per cent rate for those earning more than £80,000 - lower than it was during most of the Thatcher years.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/phones4u-john-caudwell-leave-uk-monaco-taxes-corbyn-a8885796.html

Many counselling services and rape crisis centres are facing devastating cuts or being shut altogether so that real rape victims have not been able to access services ffs! :rant:

It does make you wonder how idiots become wealthy 

Obviously, the comparison was made figuratively, no need to hang on to that.

Because his clumsy choice of words is the thing to concentrate on here, not the fact that a billionaire and his tax receipts will leave the country if rates increase. Him and how many others? 

When the new top rate of 50% was introduced in 2010, tax receipts went down as people left the country or hid their money. When Osbourne reduced it to 45%, receipts went up. Labour's rates will lower the tax receipts again.

Thatcher reduced income tax throughout the 1980s and there was no such thing as a three tier system; you had a basic rate and a top rate. The rates in her last set of cuts dropped to 25% basic and 40% top. The last Labour government before Thatcher had the top rate at 83%.

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

Clumsy choice of words from someone you'd hope would know better, but the term rape doesn't just pertain to sexual assault. It also can mean to seize and take away with force, with makes more sense in this context. 

3 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Clumsy choice of words from someone you'd hope would know better, but the term rape doesn't just pertain to sexual assault. It also can mean to seize and take away with force, with makes more sense in this context. 

It can do - but when someone uses the term rape, it conjures (in my mind anyway) an image of forced sexual assault. 

3 hours ago, Mister M said:

Those with a reasonable education will know that "rape" is from the Latin "rapere", meaning to take / grab / pinch. 

33 minutes ago, Tony said:

Those with a reasonable education will know that "rape" is from the Latin "rapere", meaning to take / grab / pinch. 

Unfortunately I, like probably millions of others, only know rape as a word in the context of forced sexual assault. The point of language to me is about communicating meaning. So as a support worker who has worked with young people who've experienced sexual assault on multiple occasions, and has seen those very services to support them cut; understandably my hackles have been raised by what he said.

Oh I have had a reasonable education too.

Edited by Mister M

It was a crassly idiotic and insensitive comment from a deeply selfish man, who clearly has no idea about the damage rape does.

43 minutes ago, Tony said:

You’re going to get zero mileage from that.

In our society and legal system it has a very, very different meaning. 

I wouldn’t push this one because you’ll quickly dig a massive hole for yourself. 

43 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Unfortunately I, like probably millions of others, only know rape as a word in the context of forced sexual assault. The point of language to me is about communicating meaning. So as a support worker who has worked with young people who've experienced sexual assault on multiple occasions, and has seen those very services to support them cut; understandably my hackles have been raised by what he said.

Oh I have had a reasonable education too.

By a reasonable education, do you mean cheap? 

See what I did there? :) Sorry, that was at your expense, please don't take offence.

We both know what he meant though, and he didn't mean sexual assault, he meant to take / grab / pinch. I'm intrigued about the way that you presented it as with meaning that you knew wasn't true, whether it was an honest mistake, perhaps while in a rush, or was there a deliberate misrepresentation intended to stoke offence and get a reaction? 

Phones 4U selling Mobiles at prices up to and including £1,200+

Take, grab and pinch spring well to mind.