Learning to Drive?

4 hours ago, Cyclone said:

My license arrived on my 18th birthday (which was nice) and I'm now over double that age, so lets say more than 20 to not be too specific :D

A tad young, then, and still a sprog! 

Edited by DT Ralge

Over they years I've passed many driving tests but none had the same impact as the first. For me a full driving license was freedom! Looking back it's quite funny thinking of some of the cars, one I loved at the time was a Bond Bug...God only knows what was going through my mind buying that.

Good luck with your test and try not to pick up bad habits with your "in between" driving.

It does! It opens a whole lot of new opportunities. We wouldn't be going to Scotland next week if we didn't have a car :) 

Thank you

2 minutes ago, WardyOliver said:

It does! It opens a whole lot of new opportunities. We wouldn't be going to Scotland next week if we didn't have a car :) 

Thank you

Nice drive. I took my Daughter up to Edinburgh late last year as she wanted to see the pandas at the zoo. She's now 25 and still not driving, despite trying to get her to. Maybe now she's finishing university this year, she'll get it done.

It's been a while since I went up the West coast towards Scotland (Glasgow) but if you're going up the East side, brush up on your dual carriageways with respect to speeds and types.

It's a great place to go but most of all, enjoy your trip. 

8 hours ago, zach said:

Nice drive. I took my Daughter up to Edinburgh late last year as she wanted to see the pandas at the zoo. She's now 25 and still not driving, despite trying to get her to. Maybe now she's finishing university this year, she'll get it done.

It's been a while since I went up the West coast towards Scotland (Glasgow) but if you're going up the East side, brush up on your dual carriageways with respect to speeds and types.

It's a great place to go but most of all, enjoy your trip. 

What types of dual carriageway are there?

9 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

What types of dual carriageway are there?

I'll take this as a genuine question and it's way to early to be typing long replies... well it is for me!

Here's the results of a quick Google search.  Link

Edited by zach

18 hours ago, WardyOliver said:

Thank you

It's funny the choices we make, I'm off to Edinburgh in a few weekends and we're going by train, far more pleasant than a long slog up the country.

On the other hand we're driving to Cambridge, because the train was £75/person and there are 3 - 4 of us going.  Petrol will cost £20/person, so that's a no brainer.

1 hour ago, zach said:

I'll take this as a genuine question and it's way to early to be typing long replies... well it is for me!

Here's the results of a quick Google search.  Link

So...  There are dual carriageways with single and double lanes.  This has no bearing on the speed limit though.  If it's NSL and you're driving a car, the speed limit on a dual carriageway is 70, there are no variations to that.

There can be other limits though, but the signs will make that clear.  There's nothing to "brush up" on there, nobody needs to know D2, or D3M.  It doesn't alter how you drive.

Edited by Cyclone

3 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

So...  There are dual carriageways with single and double lanes.  This has no bearing on the speed limit though.  If it's NSL and you're driving a car, the speed limit on a dual carriageway is 70, there are no variations to that.

There can be other limits though, but the signs will make that clear.

Are you trying to explain to me or the OP? 

Also, I think you mean "the signs should make it clear

To you.

With regards to speed limits there are no "different kinds of dual carriageways" to brush up on.

I do mean that the signs WILL make it clear.  If it's not NSL then any other limit will be clearly posted and there WILL be regular repeater signs.

What did you mean regarding different kinds?  You weren't actually referring to D1, D2, D2M, etc as explained on the link (to a google search) that you provided were you?  Most people will have never heard and need never hear those designations.

When you pop down from your little cloud, and when you have actually made the run I mentioned. You'll know that the road system can be confusing for new drivers. I can assure you that there are parts of that run that are far from clear. As I was replying to the OP (a learner driver) it was just a heads up for them to keep an eye out and maybe learn a couple of things.

And unlike you, I make it clear when I'm just posting or quoting a google search. Bury your pedantic ways Cyclone, there's no need for it on every post you comment on.

9 hours ago, zach said:

When you pop down from your little cloud, and when you have actually made the run I mentioned. You'll know that the road system can be confusing for new drivers. I can assure you that there are parts of that run that are far from clear. As I was replying to the OP (a learner driver) it was just a heads up for them to keep an eye out and maybe learn a couple of things.

And unlike you, I make it clear when I'm just posting or quoting a google search. Bury your pedantic ways Cyclone, there's no need for it on every post you comment on.

So what types of dual carriageway should they be refreshing themselves on?  You provided a link, but maybe you could spell it out?

I'm not being pedantic, there aren't different types of dual carriageway with different speed limits as you said.

brush up on your dual carriageways with respect to speeds and types.

It wasn't me that questioned you first, it was DTRalge, who I think is a Rospa driving instructor, or perhaps the other one AIM.

You literally posted a google search, meaning millions of hits, so it's entirely unclear what you think that was proving.  I make it clear when I'm posting evidence by quoting both the relevant thing and the source of it.  Much more helpful than a link to a search that shows nothing.

Edited by Cyclone

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So what types of dual carriageway should they be refreshing themselves on?  You provided a link, but maybe you could spell it out?

I'm not being pedantic, there aren't different types of dual carriageway with different speed limits as you said.

It wasn't me that questioned you first, it was DTRalge, who I think is a Rospa driving instructor, or perhaps the other one AIM.

You literally posted a google search, meaning millions of hits, so it's entirely unclear what you think that was proving.  I make it clear when I'm posting evidence by quoting both the relevant thing and the source of it.  Much more helpful than a link to a search that shows nothing.

OK, whatever you say.