Learning to Drive?

18 hours ago, zach said:

Well I guess Google and myself need to practice being perfect like you and others.

Have a good one.

That should be practise the verb not practice the noun.

Sorry, couldn't resist. If you were going to leave this thread then this should be the nail that broke the camel's back.

I'll get my coat.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Fixed it.

Back onto the original topic, I've just changed to an AWD car, it alters the behaviour slightly and I'm going to go for a drive shortly and get a little bit more used to it.

I've just bought a 4WD that in normal drive mode is FWD only but will switch to 4WD automatically when the system feels it needs to. The only difference I've noticed, so far, is setting off on particular inclines where there used to be a bit of wheel-spin before gaining traction and there is none now.

2 minutes ago, max said:

That should be practise the verb not practice the noun.

Sorry, couldn't resist. If you were going to leave this thread then this should be the nail that broke the camel's back.

I'll get my coat.

Haha,

Nice one.  ;) 

20 hours ago, max said:

I've just bought a 4WD that in normal drive mode is FWD only but will switch to 4WD automatically when the system feels it needs to. The only difference I've noticed, so far, is setting off on particular inclines where there used to be a bit of wheel-spin before gaining traction and there is none now.

Mine is the opposite, RWD bias with power sent to the front if the wheels start to slip at the back.  Which alters how it feels and behaves in corners.

I've not driven 4WD since my days in the Army which was a long time ago. It got me thinking on how cars in general have changed. 

I think the change that threw me most was electronic hand brakes. Years of using the hand pulled brake went to a on/off switch of sorts. I'm now on my second with electronic hand brake and I find them really good!

With my latest car it's gears...or lack of in the traditional sense. It has the "flapply paddle" gears or Auto mode. The paddle change works well but I tend to use auto most of the time.

Not enough pennies saved up for a 4WD but I have my eye on a couple for possible future purchases.

On 25/04/2019 at 12:34, zach said:

Nice drive. I took my Daughter up to Edinburgh late last year as she wanted to see the pandas at the zoo. She's now 25 and still not driving, despite trying to get her to. Maybe now she's finishing university this year, she'll get it done.

Tell her from me, get it done soon or she'll regret it. 

I was a late starter (late 20s) & up to that point felt I didn't need to drive despite, like you, with parental insistence. 

The moment I passed I was a wake up call. It cut 2 HOURS off my daily commute to work for a start. (1hr 25m each way on the bus down to 20m each way in the car). 

It meant that going out with friends didn't mean either waiting for them to come get me or wait till I got to the destination. Impromptu trips to the coast became a reality. 

I know we should be championing those who chose not to drive and use public transport but reality is that it's just not convenient. 

7 minutes ago, Resident said:

Tell her from me, get it done soon or she'll regret it. 

I was a late starter (late 20s) & up to that point felt I didn't need to drive despite, like you, with parental insistence. 

The moment I passed I was a wake up call. It cut 2 HOURS off my daily commute to work for a start. (1hr 25m each way on the bus down to 20m each way in the car). 

It meant that going out with friends didn't mean either waiting for them to come get me or wait till I got to the destination. Impromptu trips to the coast became a reality. 

I know we should be championing those who chose not to drive and use public transport but reality is that it's just not convenient. 

I've tried many times.

I don't disagree with her when she says that the spare cash she has, she enjoys doing other things. I've offered to pay 50% of the cost but I think she might be holding out for the full 100% rate from The Bank of Dad. University is all but finished now and it's time for her to see how the big wide world works and how a lot of jobs have the "must hold full UK license" on them. Admittedly, not all but it does open up more IMO.

On 04/05/2019 at 09:13, zach said:

I've tried many times.

I don't disagree with her when she says that the spare cash she has, she enjoys doing other things. I've offered to pay 50% of the cost but I think she might be holding out for the full 100% rate from The Bank of Dad. University is all but finished now and it's time for her to see how the big wide world works and how a lot of jobs have the "must hold full UK license" on them. Admittedly, not all but it does open up more IMO.

I know a number of people who didn't learn until they left uni.  If you've not done it whilst still living at home, it's not a priority when you can't afford a car/insurance/tax/running costs and would rather spend the money on food/beer/accommodation.