Learning to Drive?

This topic might be really boring  - I don't know. 

I'm a learner driver at the minute. I have lessons with a driving instructor but i also have my own car and I drive it in my own time (going to work, shops etc).  Anyone else learning to drive? Just bored at work, lol.. didn't even know this Sheffield Forum site existed ...

You drive your own car to work?  On a provisional license you can only drive when accompanied by a full license holder (I can't remember exactly but they have to be over a certain age and/or have held the license for a certain length of time).

If you're simply driving yourself around then your license and insurance are not valid.

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

You drive your own car to work?  On a provisional license you can only drive when accompanied by a full license holder (I can't remember exactly but they have to be over a certain age and/or have held the license for a certain length of time).

If you're simply driving yourself around then your license and insurance are not valid.

Hi, my partner has a full UK licence and he's with me at all times when I'm driving. My bad as I didn't mention above. We are both on the insurance :) 

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Or as some of us would say...

Welcome to the Sheffield Forum. We are a friendly bunch that will never take everything you say in the literal sense until you say otherwise!!

1 hour ago, WardyOliver said:

Hi, my partner has a full UK licence and he's with me at all times when I'm driving. My bad as I didn't mention above. We are both on the insurance :) 

Ah, that makes sense, it was the "going to work" bit that confused me, I guess your partner then drives on to wherever he's going.

I learned to drive a while back, but it sounds like you're doing what you can, getting regular practice is key, I had about an equal number of hours with my Dad in his car just driving around the local villages and area as I did lessons and it helped me massively.  You gain awareness of what's happening, an understanding of the size of the car and so on, these things only come with hours spent driving.

3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

I can't remember exactly but they have to be over a certain age and/or have held the license for a certain length of time

At least 21 years old AND have held a licence for at least 3 years.  Also you can't supervise in a manual car if you've only got an Auto licence.

59 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Ah, that makes sense, it was the "going to work" bit that confused me, I guess your partner then drives on to wherever he's going.

I learned to drive a while back, but it sounds like you're doing what you can, getting regular practice is key, I had about an equal number of hours with my Dad in his car just driving around the local villages and area as I did lessons and it helped me massively.  You gain awareness of what's happening, an understanding of the size of the car and so on, these things only come with hours spent driving.

Yeah sorry. He works night shifts so when he gets home at 6:30am, we leave (I drive) for work and then he drives home. 

I love driving, best thing I've ever done. Was at a roundabout this morning (was fairly big) was going straight ahead, 2nd exit and it was a little steep, enough to make me roll back a little so I did my biting point with the clutch and accelerator and actually aced it for the first time without panicking and stalling. I bet I sound like a right idiot but well buzzed lol. I've only had 8 lessons with instructor.

How long have you been driving if you don't mind me asking?

My license arrived on my 18th birthday (which was nice) and I'm now over double that age, so lets say more than 20 to not be too specific :D

32 minutes ago, WardyOliver said:

I love driving, best thing I've ever done. Was at a roundabout this morning (was fairly big) was going straight ahead, 2nd exit and it was a little steep, enough to make me roll back a little so I did my biting point with the clutch and accelerator and actually aced it for the first time without panicking and stalling. I bet I sound like a right idiot but well buzzed lol. I've only had 8 lessons with instructor.

That was the bit I found really hard - once I'd mastered that I found the rest comparatively easy. Took me a lot more than 8 lessons though, so well done!

Been driving for about 30 years now - done nigh on 500,000 miles - a fair bit of that on the continent. Since last summer, retired and living in rural France - sometimes only see half a dozen cars in a 10 mile trip to the supermarket - complete bliss compared to Sheffield.

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

My license arrived on my 18th birthday (which was nice) and I'm now over double that age, so lets say more than 20 to not be too specific :D

Haha, okay then. A won't ask lol 

2 hours ago, Longcol said:

That was the bit I found really hard - once I'd mastered that I found the rest comparatively easy. Took me a lot more than 8 lessons though, so well done!

Been driving for about 30 years now - done nigh on 500,000 miles - a fair bit of that on the continent. Since last summer, retired and living in rural France - sometimes only see half a dozen cars in a 10 mile trip to the supermarket - complete bliss compared to Sheffield.

Thank you :) , that's a lot of miles wow! Must be nice living in France ey

Never had a formal lesson in a car in my life. Tractor driving on the farm for starters, then driving the Hillman Imp (remember them) milk van up and down the farm lane. Then test taken in my cousins Ford Anglia, which after passing my test had brake failure on the way home, but got it back on the handbrake. Ahhh the joys of youth.

Angel1.