Tomato Growing

Have the tomato growers on this forum got started this season yet?

I have not sown many seeds this year due to not being well but have bought 3doz from the fella on the Moorfoot outdoor market and they are very good quality and in large square pots

the seeds I have sown are Black Russian, a large pear shaped one and an outdoor mini plum

Dont forget to buy the best compost you can afford and DONT overfeed

Best of luck to all

I have 2 sorts going on, I bought some fresh moneymaker seeds and these are starting to show as seedlings now in the greenhouse.

The largest ones so far are all just appearing in almost everything I sow out of the compost (my own heap)... so I assume they are from the bad/off or rotten toms (also moneymaker) I lobbed on there last autumn. I will see what they turn out to be. Will start to harden them off soon and the plant out.

Richard

On 23/04/2019 at 22:35, barry-333 said:

Have the tomato growers on this forum got started this season yet?

I have not sown many seeds this year due to not being well but have bought 3doz from the fella on the Moorfoot outdoor market and they are very good quality and in large square pots

the seeds I have sown are Black Russian, a large pear shaped one and an outdoor mini plum

Dont forget to buy the best compost you can afford and DONT overfeed

Best of luck to all

An

update on the tomatoes  the 3 doz from the market are all potted in builders buckets (28) and the rest in 20ltr plastic pots

They are all showing the first flower truss and are very healthy and short jointed

The seed I have sown are all doing well and have been pricked out for a week now, just right for planting outdoors on 1st Jun   Best of Luck   

I have my tomatoes planted in the greenhouse and they are doing quite well, I cover them at night just to be on the safe side. After last years success with the Marmande plant, I bought some seeds and have 3 plants, also got Roma (plum) and moneymaker. Just need a couple of cucumber plants now and the big orange ball in the sky to start showing up.  The lettuce seeds are struggling though, out of 7 that I set only 2 seedlings have appeared.

On 24/04/2019 at 14:36, Vasquez Rich said:

I have 2 sorts going on, I bought some fresh moneymaker seeds and these are starting to show as seedlings now in the greenhouse.

The largest ones so far are all just appearing in almost everything I sow out of the compost (my own heap)... so I assume they are from the bad/off or rotten toms (also moneymaker) I lobbed on there last autumn. I will see what they turn out to be. Will start to harden them off soon and the plant out.

Richard

They will do well, a friend of mine used to get all his from the sewage plant and had bumper crops

mine are just ready to plant out in the greenhouse,hope for a good crop,got cucumber ready to go in as well

Last weeks warm weather really brought the tomato plants on after the couple of weeks of colder weather. Put a cucumber plant in last Thursday and that has really taken, might get another this afternoon, I like peppers but never have much success with them the peppers never grow to any size, also have had them with a hole in and found wood lice inside.

Grew mine outdoors last year had a really good crop!  started the seeds off in the conservatory in the middle of April, planted out late June.

Tried  outdoor ridge cucumbers for the first time also with great success!

Well this lovely weather has made the tomatoes and cucumber plants slow down. I have had flowers on my tomatoes for over 2 weeks  but with this weather the plants are not moving.  I planted my cucumbers earlier than last year, after an initial rapid growth they too are at a standstill. Last year I had my first cucumber off before the end of June, unless the weather picks up will be the end of July before there could be any.

Anyone growing tomatoes outside and all potato growers your plants need protecting with a fungicide spray NOW   The weather and conditions at the moment are just how quickly blight can spread    Spray NOW

Tomatoes ripening well, outdoor ones in my back garden ripening well and very healthy,  picking daily from 25 grown outdoors

28 grown over at Ridgeway suffering from signs of blight but I am removing infected leaves as and when they show signs of blight

All flowering on the fifth truss and growing well