Sign in to follow this  

Power pin replacement required

My Acer Aspire V3 371 needs a power pin replacement.

I am fairly certain the dimensions are "1.7 x 5.5 x 11mm", it is very narrow.

It does not need a charger, just the pin which I am happy to solder myself.

I do not want an expensive service fix either as the battery has expired and I might just get a new laptop.

Are the dimensions in the right order?

What do the dimensions signify?

Is their a local supplier?

Is their a good online supplier? I can't find any solderable ones, only ones that come with a charger or tips that attach to a multicharger.

Ta.

When you say "power pin" do you mean the socket on the laptop, where you plug in the charger? - the pin from there is missing?

If that is the case it's not just a "power pin" - you need to replace the DC socket.. it may be a solder job, but I think most Acer ones come already with a cable attached and you just unplug the old one from the board, and plug in the new one...

54 minutes ago, Ghozer said:

When you say "power pin" do you mean the socket on the laptop, where you plug in the charger? - the pin from there is missing?

If that is the case it's not just a "power pin" - you need to replace the DC socket.. it may be a solder job, but I think most Acer ones come already with a cable attached and you just unplug the old one from the board, and plug in the new one...

I call the power pin the bit at the end of the cable at the low voltage end of the adapter/charger.

The power pin goes into the socket/jack/port in the laptop.

Universal chargers have a range of them but not the one I want.

Ah, so the bit that plugs into the laptop - So you need a DC Jack - it's often difficult to find a replacement jack, and you will likely end up buying a new power supply/charger...

Your best option though is ebay...

Edited by Ghozer

Thanks glitterballs that will do the job.

The photo does appear to show a much larger plug but I am assuming at the moment it has been photoshopped.

A very nice man in Manchester was about to sell me the jack above when he asked me the serial number again.

I read it out and he rang back and said it was the wrong jack.

Jack on its  way.

But as I said earlier the battery was totally dead- but I noticed that the red charging light started to flash.

At first it held its charge for two minutes, with repeated fully charged fully drained cycles, it is now holding its charge for 90 minutes and warning me to power off which it has not done for 12 months. Miracle?