Rules for smoking in sheffield

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Yes you were, that's why you keep talking about meat and not salad or just food.

Precisely, your argument depends on narrowing the scope to meat.

I'm not trying to reframe it, I'm showing that you HAVE reframed it in order to make your argument, it's a strawman.

Still missing the point, firstly, having your dinner spoiled by 2nd hand smoke is nothing to do with judging others is it, it's literally spoiling your dinner.  Secondly, the argument, "well, your food created pollution to be created" doesn't somehow excuse the behaviour of those spoiling your dinner.  Dinner which we've established could be a salad, may not be social and food is required to stay alive.

No this is why I have been talking about meat throughout

https://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/meat-environment/

its why my first comment on the thread was “depends what they are eating”

You’ve spent ages now misquoting me to make it sound like people shouldn’t eat - which I’ve already said is daft.

ill leave it there -  as hackey said it’s getting boring.

On 25/04/2019 at 11:35, makapaka said:

Depends what they’re eating.

On 27/04/2019 at 11:02, makapaka said:

No - breathing isn’t a social activity that can be opted out of - whereas smoking and eating out are.

Yes, that's where you started your false equivalence.  But you later went on to say that(quote above) didn't you.

Edited by Cyclone

This meat eating argument is one of the silliest things I've ever heard.   When you eat next to someone you don't contaminate them with your food,  but when you smoke next to them  you do contaminate them with your smoke or vape stuff.

Edited by kaytie
To complete post after tablet malfunction

Guest makapaka
24 minutes ago, kaytie said:

This meat eating argument is one of the silliest things I've ever heard.   When you eat next to someone you don't contaminate them with your food,  but when you smoke next to them  you do contaminate them with your smoke or vape stuff.

No it’s just that you’ve normalised  the damage you do to others and targeted a specific activity.

Someone may not contaminate someone by eating meat next to someone - but the process of getting that meat to their plate certainly has. 

The human race is destroying the planet through their actions and people are sat there moaning about someone blowing tobacco smoke near them whilst they eat.

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

No it’s just that you’ve normalised  the damage you do to others and targeted a specific activity.

Someone may not contaminate someone by eating meat next to someone - but the process of getting that meat to their plate certainly has. 

The human race is destroying the planet through their actions and people are sat there moaning about someone blowing tobacco smoke near them whilst they eat.

The thread is about smoking next to eaters not the ability of the human race to destroy the planet through its actions.

It is most certainly not a moan.

Belittling the impact of an activity that kills 1.5 million people a year plays straight into the hands of those who profit.

Calling people moaners and hypocrites for protecting their health and that of their families, friends and colleagues is ridiculous.

It is not moaning or hypocritical to turn back the image smoking being normal, created less than a hundred years ago by mass advertising on a scale never seen before.

Claiming the hypocrisy of the tiny majority of steak eaters are somehow representative of the millions who have to, or choose to eat out is wrong. People are more likely nowadays to not want or have, or put with  smoking near them. 

Why pick on steak eaters?

Is the image of the steak eater an easy win?

Or is it more difficult to explain the comparable harm related to the global and local effect to put produce a kilo of 'vegetable', energy, chemicals in the form of fertilizer, insecticides, habitat destruction, land destruction and the need to burn or rot down organic waste. The tons of airline fuel daily polluting the higher layers of atmosphere. The tons of fuel burnt in extra "tomato miles" on our roads.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

1 hour ago, makapaka said:

No, it's just that the topic was "eating" and you've had to narrow it to "eating meat" in order to make your false equivalence argument.  Which happens to be the same argument smokers used to argue against the ban on smoking in pubs.  They went banging on about how other people drove cars and that this caused pollution, as if one source of pollution somehow justifies them poisoning other people.  You're doing exactly the same thing.

Edited by Cyclone

As a change of direction, has any else noticed how smoking in bus shelters is returning ? I regularly see people , (no gender mentioned ), sitting there puffing away,  almost waiting for someone to complain.

Popular places to view this phenomenum  are Moorfoot and the Totley Brook Rd junction with Abbeydale Road. Any more sightings?