Rules for smoking in sheffield

Guest makapaka
49 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

That's a funny argument.  We tell people that they're not allowed to murder you in the street.  How do you feel about that one?  Personally I'm in favour of not being murdered, so I like that rule and don't think it's unpleasant.  I'm also in favour of not being very slowly murdered by second hand smoke (or more accurately, not having an increased risk of life threatening illnesses caused by that smoke), so I see it a lot like the rule about not murdering people.

We're having a discussion, nobody is being harangued for doing or not doing anything.  In my opinion places that serve food (outdoors) should have a clearly separate (and separated) smoking area, and if they don't and I found this to be a problem then I would certainly take my money elsewhere.  That doesn't stop us discussing the general topic though does it.

False equivalence.

It’s absolutely not.

either activity is undertaken legally and through free choice and both impact others health.

youre just incapable of considering the equivalence because it doesn’t suit your own view.

2 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

How commendable of you to balance your increased carbon footprint caused by smoking  with your abstinence from meat eating.

I don’t smoke (although I did in the past) and I do eat meat.

That’s not the point im making though.

Edited by makapaka

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

That's a funny argument.  We tell people that they're not allowed to murder you in the street.  How do you feel about that one?  Personally I'm in favour of not being murdered, so I like that rule and don't think it's unpleasant.  I'm also in favour of not being very slowly murdered by second hand smoke (or more accurately, not having an increased risk of life threatening illnesses caused by that smoke), so I see it a lot like the rule about not murdering people.

We're having a discussion, nobody is being harangued for doing or not doing anything.  In my opinion places that serve food (outdoors) should have a clearly separate (and separated) smoking area, and if they don't and I found this to be a problem then I would certainly take my money elsewhere.  That doesn't stop us discussing the general topic though does it.

False equivalence.

We’re not having a discussion though. You are just being all high and mighty about a legal behaviour that you don’t like. You don’t get to decide how others behave. 

There are plenty of things that kill us slowly.  Car driving causes far more, and far more serious pollution than smoking, for example.  Nobody is suggesting banning non essential car use.

I’m an ex-smoker by the way. Giving up was the best thing I’ve ever done. I’d like everyone to be non smokers. The fact is that they aren’t. It is an annoyance, I grant you, but a legal annoyance. Just deal with it and let people live their lives.

Guest makapaka
4 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

It's compulsory to smoke in some areas of Sheffield.  (at least it seems like it).

I know what you mean though.  I don't like it either, but I take the view that, providing it is outdoors, it's o.k. for them to smoke.  They have to have somewhere they can smoke I think. Apart from the front door of the hospital.

Which areas of Sheffield does it seem like it’s compulsory to smoke in?

After a recent brief visit to Sheffield I was astounded how many people still smoke up there? It must be the smoking capital of the UK?

As for the rules of smoking, which is what I thought this topic was about, I can't speak for Sheffield but where I live, Brooklyn, NY, the city has been very exacting over the past couple of decades e,g.  They have the highest tobacco product taxes in the U.S.A. (used as a deterrent but not too successful)- Smoking is not allowed in ANY public/work place or public enclosure with zero exceptions and  no designated areas. Smoker's using bars and restaurants have to smoke out side (in NY, not in front of) which the patrons have to be several feet from the door meaning they have to stand in front of adjacent businesses which has led to confrontations. As of this year, 21 yrs and older will be the minimum age to buy tobacco and tobacco-related products. Earlier this year a NY City councilman proposed a bill that smokers who walk, stop and then stand still while smoking should be fined (smoking while moving was ok by him.) It didn't get very far and when I read I that I found it hard not to laugh, so I did.

2 minutes ago, St Petre said:

As for the rules of smoking, which is what I thought this topic was about, I can't speak for Sheffield but where I live, Brooklyn, NY, the city has been very exacting over the past couple of decades e,g.  They have the highest tobacco product taxes in the U.S.A. (used as a deterrent but not too successful)- Smoking is not allowed in ANY public/work place or public enclosure with zero exceptions and  no designated areas. Smoker's using bars and restaurants have to smoke out side (in NY, not in front of) which the patrons have to be several feet from the door meaning they have to stand in front of adjacent businesses which has led to confrontations. As of this year, 21 yrs and older will be the minimum age to buy tobacco and tobacco-related products. Earlier this year a NY City councilman proposed a bill that smokers who walk, stop and then stand still while smoking should be fined (smoking while moving was ok by him.) It didn't get very far and when I read I that I found it hard not to laugh, so I did.

And what about vaping?

12 minutes ago, Halibut said:

And what about vaping?

Same for vaping and vaping products but I think that places  that sell those products are allowed to partake within the premises. There is one across the street from my local bar and they do it -they can be seen through the window-but as the majority of the people in the area where I live are Ukranian, Russian and Turkish (the Turks run the vapor shop) but nobody bothers them.

Edited by St Petre
add

9 hours ago, Pettytom said:

We’re not having a discussion though. You are just being all high and mighty about a legal behaviour that you don’t like. You don’t get to decide how others behave. 

There are plenty of things that kill us slowly.  Car driving causes far more, and far more serious pollution than smoking, for example.  Nobody is suggesting banning non essential car use.

I’m an ex-smoker by the way. Giving up was the best thing I’ve ever done. I’d like everyone to be non smokers. The fact is that they aren’t. It is an annoyance, I grant you, but a legal annoyance. Just deal with it and let people live their lives.

An exchange of opinions...  Yep, this is a discussion.

Stimulated by someone asking a question with an obvious answer.

You however are trying to tell me that I can't have this opinion because the behaviour I don't like is legal.  A circular argument.  Before smoking was banned indoors I suppose you'd have told me I couldn't be of the opinion that people shouldn't smoke in pubs and restaurants.

We can all deal with it by not giving money to businesses that let smokers spoil your al fresco dining, or we could make it illegal to smoke within x distance of a food consumption area.

8 hours ago, sedith said:

After a recent brief visit to Sheffield I was astounded how many people still smoke up there? It must be the smoking capital of the UK?

Probably just says something about who you hang about with when you visit.

9 hours ago, makapaka said:

It’s absolutely not.

It absolutely is.

8 hours ago, Halibut said:

And what about vaping?

Getting off-topic, but we recently spent a couple of days in NY (Manhattan) and found that vaping there is really no different from in the UK: just use a bit of commonsense and consideration and there's no problem.  The only annoying bit was that there is not a smoking area once you're airside at JFK; but I seem to have survived that without any noticeable physical or psychological damage...

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

An exchange of opinions...  Yep, this is a discussion.

Stimulated by someone asking a question with an obvious answer.

You however are trying to tell me that I can't have this opinion because the behaviour I don't like is legal.  A circular argument.  Before smoking was banned indoors I suppose you'd have told me I couldn't be of the opinion that people shouldn't smoke in pubs and restaurants.

We can all deal with it by not giving money to businesses that let smokers spoil your al fresco dining, or we could make it illegal to smoke within x distance of a food consumption area.

Probably just says something about who you hang about with when you visit.

It absolutely is.

Can you explain why it is.

the only false equivalence i can see is you comparing secondary smoking with murder.

I didn't do that, perhaps you skipped some of the words that had been written.

Why is the pollution from meat a false equivalence from the direct impact of someone smoking next to you...  I'll leave you to think about it.  Perhaps whilst you go back and read the words you missed out the first time.

20 hours ago, St Petre said:

for vaping and vaping products but I think that places  that sell those products are allowed to partake within the premises. There is one across the street from my local bar and they do it -they can be seen through the window-but as the majority of the people in the area where I live are Ukranian, Russian and Tu rkish (the Turks run the vapor shop) but nobody bothers them.

I have to make an amendment to the above as to the place I was referring to, it is also a Hookah shop (?) and they smoke the handheld versions in the streets discharging almost Flying Scotsmaesque amounts of whatever comes out of them.

Edited by St Petre
Spell