Rules for smoking in sheffield

3 hours ago, liam1412 said:

Don't you think smokers want to be inside on a cold winters night when it's peeing down with rain.  You can't have it both ways

Well they risk their health with smoking so a bit of rain wont hurt the smokers.

Theres an easy solution....STOP SMOKING 

25 minutes ago, Jason302 said:

Well they risk their health with smoking so a bit of rain wont hurt the smokers.

Theres an easy solution....STOP SMOKING 

Why don't you just stop going to eateries that allow smoking outside .? Live and let live 

15 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Why don't you just stop going to eateries that allow smoking outside .? Live and let live 

That's not reasonable is it.  Non-smokers not able to enjoy the sunshine because smokers can't confine themselves to smoking away from the food consumption areas...  It's smokers with the harmful habit, not eaters.

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, Cyclone said:

That's not reasonable is it.  Non-smokers not able to enjoy the sunshine because smokers can't confine themselves to smoking away from the food consumption areas...  It's smokers with the harmful habit, not eaters.

Depends what they’re eating.

Edited by makapaka

Does it?  Have you ever accidentally had to eat something just because you were near to someone else eating it?  Nobody cares if smokers harm themselves, it's harming and causing unpleasantness for others that's the problem.

21 hours ago, hackey lad said:

"... Live and let live

Totally inappropriate phrase to use when dealing with smoking .

Yes the drink and food might be harmful to you but it will not result in harm and nuisance to others in the Restaurant area.

Should proprietors be clearer on their smoking policy in their outside areas-yes!

Perhaps the signage should include a warnings like "Inconsiderate Smokers might Ruin Your Night".

Surely the days of smoking in areas designed for the consumption  and enjoyment of food must end soon- if only for commercial reasons. 

Guest makapaka
1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Does it?  Have you ever accidentally had to eat something just because you were near to someone else eating it?  Nobody cares if smokers harm themselves, it's harming and causing unpleasantness for others that's the problem.

What if they’re eating meat and therefore partly responsible for the massive amount of greenhouse gases that is directly impacting the environment and risking all of our collective futures?

Why should these meat eaters be allowed to cause such unpleasantness for others?

Edited by makapaka

46 minutes ago, makapaka said:

What if they’re eating meat and therefore partly responsible for the massive amount of greenhouse gases that is directly impacting the environment and risking all of our collective futures?

Why should these meat eaters be allowed to cause such unpleasantness for others?

Don't forget they drove to the pub for a meal in their car, while I don't drive!

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Some would say that telling people what they can and can’t do is an unpleasant behaviour.

It isn’t illegal to smoke in a public place in the UK. People have the right to behave legally, without being harangued by others. 

Some people object to smokers, others to kids in pubs/ restaurants, others object to dogs. It is simple really, either become a bit more tolerant and let people behave legally,  or go somewhere else . There are plenty of smoke-free/dog free/ kid free environments to choose from.

On 23/04/2019 at 17:14, Jason302 said:

What are the rules of smoking at outdoor eating areas in sheffield.

My overseas visitor  and i were having a lovely meal at an outdoor eatery in the city but it was spoiled by people smoking in that area.

Isnt there supposed to be a permitted distance from the buildings, doorways and food areas?

It's compulsory to smoke in some areas of Sheffield.  (at least it seems like it).

I know what you mean though.  I don't like it either, but I take the view that, providing it is outdoors, it's o.k. for them to smoke.  They have to have somewhere they can smoke I think. Apart from the front door of the hospital.

Edited by DerbyTup

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

How commendable of you to balance your increased carbon footprint caused by smoking  with your abstinence from meat eating.

3 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Some would say that telling people what they can and can’t do is an unpleasant behaviour.

It isn’t illegal to smoke in a public place in the UK. People have the right to behave legally, without being harangued by others. 

Some people object to smokers, others to kids in pubs/ restaurants, others object to dogs. It is simple really, either become a bit more tolerant and let people behave legally,  or go somewhere else . There are plenty of smoke-free/dog free/ kid free environments to choose from.

That's a funny argument.  We tell people that they're not allowed to murder you in the street.  How do you feel about that one?  Personally I'm in favour of not being murdered, so I like that rule and don't think it's unpleasant.  I'm also in favour of not being very slowly murdered by second hand smoke (or more accurately, not having an increased risk of life threatening illnesses caused by that smoke), so I see it a lot like the rule about not murdering people.

We're having a discussion, nobody is being harangued for doing or not doing anything.  In my opinion places that serve food (outdoors) should have a clearly separate (and separated) smoking area, and if they don't and I found this to be a problem then I would certainly take my money elsewhere.  That doesn't stop us discussing the general topic though does it.

5 hours ago, makapaka said:

False equivalence.