Rules for smoking in sheffield

What are the rules of smoking at outdoor eating areas in sheffield.

My overseas visitor  and i were having a lovely meal at an outdoor eatery in the city but it was spoiled by people smoking in that area.

Isnt there supposed to be a permitted distance from the buildings, doorways and food areas?

I think it varies from place to place.

Some have designated areas for smokers.

Does anyone ever abide by rulings anyway?   Woman using one of those yucky stink vape things inside Yates  Bar on Sunday.   ( Far more vomit inducing smell than "proper" cigarettes  imo).

1 hour ago, Pyrotequila said:

Really? It's against the law over here, if you want to smoke or vape when in a bar or restaurant, whether inside or outside on a patio, you have to go out on the street away from the entrance to the establishment. I thought this was the norm these days in western countries.

Edited by Ontarian1981

38 minutes ago, Ontarian1981 said:

Really? It's against the law over here, if you want to smoke or vape when in a bar or restaurant, whether inside or outside on a patio, you have to go out on the street away from the entrance to the establishment. I thought this was the norm these days in western countries.

Smoking indoors is banned, but the same rules don't apply to vaping, it's up to each business or work place, but some places do provide areas away from the entrance for smokers, unfortunately not all do, so you end up with people clustered around the doors and you have to hold your breath as you walk through it all.

6 hours ago, Jason302 said:

What are the rules of smoking at outdoor eating areas in sheffield.

My overseas visitor  and i were having a lovely meal at an outdoor eatery in the city but it was spoiled by people smoking in that area.

Isnt there supposed to be a permitted distance from the buildings, doorways and food areas?

The rules for smoking are simple, you have to do it outside of commercial premises.

Non smokers have the whole of the indoor world to themselves these days. Is that not enough?

9 hours ago, Pettytom said:

The rules for smoking are simple, you have to do it outside of commercial premises.

Non smokers have the whole of the indoor world to themselves these days. Is that not enough?

Not in the Summer when you might want to eat or drink outside, like the OP did.

I've no issues with smokers in a beer garden.  But when food is being served you would think the owners would show some initiative and make a section smoke free.

10 hours ago, Pettytom said:

Why should that be enough?  Don't you think non smokers might like to sit out in the sun without choking on cigarette fumes?

The rules in Sheffield are the same as the rest of England and Wales.

15 hours ago, Pyrotequila said:

In the middle of a field wouldn't suit some moaners. :suspect:

2 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Why should that be enough?  Don't you think non smokers might like to sit out in the sun without choking on cigarette fumes?

Don't you think smokers want to be inside on a cold winters night when it's peeing down with rain.  You can't have it both ways

10 minutes ago, liam1412 said:

Don't you think smokers want to be inside on a cold winters night when it's peeing down with rain.  You can't have it both ways

Why not?  Non-smokers aren't the ones with a habit that's offensive and dangerous to other people...

I accept that smokers need to be able to smoke somewhere, but that somewhere can be both outdoors and away from any eating areas outdoors.  Non smokers can and do expect to have it both ways, just like they do in Canada.