Where is this village?

Bakewell? (Does it have a railway line?)

12 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Bakewell? (Does it have a railway line?)

I was half thinking that - especially the position of the church - plus the shops (and affluence).

The former railway line is now the Monsal Trail (and has been for years) - used to take the kids for a walk there regularly when they were young as it was probably the only level path in Derbyshire. Station is still there.

Edited by Longcol

I actually think the OP has confused memories of more than one place.  I don't think there's anywhere, either Barnsley way, or out this way in Derbyshire that has all those features.  

The easy ones to identify are those that have railway lines.  Going from Sheffield into Derbyshire, that's Dore, Grindleford, Hathersage, Bamford, Eyam.  Or possibly Dronfield.  But none of these have "up market" shops although Dore, Grindleford, Hathersage, Bamford and Eyam may be considered "affluent".   

Matlock?  

Can't leave the thread unanswered, anyone close gamerzone?

On 25/04/2019 at 18:49, Debs1 said:

Matlock?  

That's actually a very good guess.  If by "has a railway line", the OP includes not a mainline railway, but a little tourist thing, then yes, I'd say it's more likely to be Matlock than any other place suggested thus far.

1 hour ago, DerbyTup said:

That's actually a very good guess.  If by "has a railway line", the OP includes not a mainline railway, but a little tourist thing, then yes, I'd say it's more likely to be Matlock than any other place suggested thus far.

It's a bit more than that - proper trains to Derby and Nottm connect it to the network.

But yes Matlock sounds a good fit. But then the whole thing might just be a composite 'nice village' which might mean 'town'  it seems anyway.

Hebden Bridge? 

Edited by Bilge

I would def say buxton there is a large church on a hill with a large green space in front of it It has a covered shopping centre  as well as independant shops and its on the railway line    and I think its quite affluent  The only other place is maybe Glossop  please let us know !

5 hours ago, Ms Interpret said:

I would def say buxton there is a large church on a hill with a large green space in front of it It has a covered shopping centre  as well as independant shops and its on the railway line    and I think its quite affluent  The only other place is maybe Glossop  please let us know !

Trouble is, he doesn't know that's why we are all guessing lol

Guest makapaka

This is a bizarre thread.

i remember being in a place - there was shops - trees - it was near Sheffield - there was a pub.......

i think the op has had you all over.

No, I haven't, and it is not a composite/dream, etc, someone who lives there would recognise it immediately, it wasn't any of the above places though, Matlock, etc, bit smaller. It was a village, not a town.

On re-assessing, I could retract the high end a little, it was clothing, crafts, etc, with  a cafe in the middle

Could it be Darton? Medieval Church, probablty old rectory, etc.

Edited by gamezone07

I know a place like that but it's in North Wales, not much help is it.