Petition to abolish leaseholds.

I made sure when I bought my house it wasn't leasehold, I never want to own a leasehold house. If I'm paying a mortgage on a house I should be able to do whatever alterations or put what I want on the driveway (within reason) without anyone elses permission so I hope it's banned on new builds at least but should go on all houses.

A bit different on flats I guess so not sure what they can do there

But think about doubling every 10 years.  Imagine buying your house, and unusually, you don't move.  50 years later, that ground rent has doubled 5 times.

And ground rent isn't £2.50/year anymore, let's say it starts at £250/year, that's not that bad.

Years 1 - 10, total cost £2500

Years 11 - 20, total cost £5000

years 21 - 30, total cost £10,000 (that's now a £1000 a year)

years 31 - 40, total cost £20,000

years 41 - 50, total cost £40,000

The next decade, well, you can see how this works, £80,000, or £8000 a year!

Edited by Cyclone

8 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

What would make you think that there is a somehow a "permissible"?  Do you think there's a law that says "doubling every 10 years is okay, but definitely no less than 10"?

Ok, I take your point but only a cretin would agree to a doubling every five years if it was a hefty sum to start with. That's why I doubt it's ever been done. Do you know different?

When does it stop being cretinous though, 5, 8, 10, the only difference is just how quickly it increases to an astronomical sum.

Buying a new -build  residential  property  under leasehold title means the buyer  is paying the developer for the entire  cost of  development  but  the buyer  is given  a  long term rental agreement.  

Buying a new-build residential property under freehold title, means  the buyer gets legal  ownership of the property .

If the buyer  is paying for leasehold property  "just as much paying for freehold  property", the buyer of leasehold is being cheated out of thefreehold title.

If you've lived in a leasehold property for a long time you are entitled to buy the lease...forget the exact time, but Ive done this. 

It's 2 years, it's really quite a short period of time, but the process for buying it isn't as straight forwards as it could be.

On 13/07/2019 at 22:30, kaytie said:

If you've lived in a leasehold property for a long time you are entitled to buy the lease...forget the exact time, but Ive done this. 

If you OWN a leasehold, you've already bought the lease!

What you mean is "If you've lived in a leasehold property for a long time [=at least  two years], you are entitled to buy the freehold reversion and any other intervening reversion (if it's a house) or to extend the lease by 90 yrs. (if it's a flat)."

The petition ( abolish leasehold )  closed on 1st Aug and  managed to attract 31,830 signatures.