Petition to abolish leaseholds.

There is a petition ( Abolish Leaseholds ) which needs more signatures to reach 100,000  before it can be discussed in Parliament.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/238071

Every leaseholder  of a property in Sheffield and  Yorkshire  ,    Lancashire   and  elsewhere in E&W   should be supporting this petition  and have  the proposal  discussed in Parliament .

This is not the "wars of the roses" for control of the throne  of England. 

"The Wars of the Roses were a series of English civil wars for control of the throne of England fought between supporters of two rival branches of the royal House of Plantagenet: the House of Lancaster, associated with a red rose, and the House of York, whose symbol was a white rose."

This  petition is even more important than the throne of England. 

Its about who owns control of your house ?    You ,  who paid for it by a  35 years mortgage  ?   or the freeholder  company ?

The population of the City of Sheffield is 577,800 (mid-2017 est.) and it is one of the eight largest regional English cities that make up the Core Cities Group. Sheffield is the third-largest English district by population.

The metropolitan population of Sheffield is 1,569,000. ( yes   over  1.5 million  resident  in South Yorkshire ) 

So  Sheffield has enough population to sign this  petititon  and  get  Sheffield  into the Guinness Records ?

So ask your friends and relatives,  aunties, uncles , cousins  and in-laws,  work mates , pub mates , old school mates ,  church mates, gym mates  to sign  the petition.

1 hour ago, francypants said:

Signed.      :thumbsup:

Fantastic , francypants ,

You are certainly No. 1 in Sheffield  and South Yorkshire.

Hi  Francypants ,

Any ideas on how to  contact  other leaseholders  to sign the petition ? 

I am sure you have some good ideas judging by 30,000  posts which you have made  since  2012.

Can you write  a letter about the petition , to the Editor of your local paper ?

Edited by topflat29

Have signed. We don't have leasehold now on our current home because we actually bought the leasehold. I don't agree with them. It had all kinds of conditions on what we could or could not do. 

Our old terrace home used to be leasehold too but it was a nominal amount per year and was paid to the Grand Order of Druids.

Thank  you,   Caz1 ,

Every leaseholder and residential house owner  in E & W  should sign the petition in order to  nudge those MPs  in Parliament  to  abolish  the  leasehold  system .   

Other countries in Europe  use  Commonhold many years ago and  even  Ireland and Scotland stopped using leasehold. 

Just playing devils advocate.

Why should they be abolished?

4 hours ago, Climbing said:

Just playing devils advocate.

Why should they be abolished?

The so-called petition is pointless. Leasehold is essential to enable covenant enforceability.

What needs much more enforcement is the conduct of certain freehold reversioners.

There is no cost-effective way for a leaseholder to control misconduct.

To the candles makers and tallow merchants , the renderer of carcasses and glue makers, the laundries and solicitors etc. I will readily sign a statement that on penalty of death that I will not engage in any of these activities.

I won't sign the  petition because it is so unfair on solicitors.

Until the proposers can show me that no harm will come to solicitors both financially and from under-work, I will withhold my signiture.

They could also get a team down from Scotland to show how Welsh and English solicitors could survive without leasehold work.

If you buy  house  under "freehold title", you become the legal owner  of the property after  the  sale completion.

If you buy a  flat  under "leasehold title", you become the  owner of a long term rental agreement  because the property is still  legally  owned by the freeholder.

If you buy a flat under  "commonhold title" , you become the legal owner of the property after the  sale completion. (   commonhold  is  similar  to freehold )

So if the leasehold  is abolished  and replaced by commonhold  ,  the leaseholder  will become the real owner instead of  being  treated  as   the tenant  .

This petition  is about  changing  the  tenure  system  to  give   the buyer  " legal  ownership of  a  flat "  which   at present  under leasehold  system  ,  the buyer  is  only  the tenant.

The solicitor  provides  conveyancing  services  for property transfers    and their  services   will  be  required   even  if   property   changes  from leasehold  to  commonhold title . 

The solicitor is NOT  the  freeholder and NOT  the  leaseholder.    The conveyancer's role is  to   act  for the buyer or seller ,  and    is  NOT  affected   by the petition.