Inconsiderate drivers at traffic lights at Asda Drakehouse

On ‎24‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:08, Cyclone said:

You don't think that the deterioration in driving quality when having been drinking might make it more likely that you'll be stopped?  And the risks to other peoples and your own lives, hopefully they're more of a deterrent than the risk of being stopped.

If you're getting undertaken then you have to wonder what you're doing in an overtaking lane, right?

I think that the convictions for drink and driving show there is a proportion of drivers who don't care at all about the risks to other peoples lives and the numerous examples of  poor driving seen every day on the roads indicate that motorists have little fear of being caught for any offence, including drinking and driving. If I were witnessing burglaries or assaults every day then surely something would be done about it and it wouldn't be left to individual consciences to prevent people breaking the law.

Wonder no more. In an overtaking lane, I am overtaking.  It's quite simple really.   Though I like to leave a decent gap between myself and the car in front and some drivers just think that's perfect for going past me on the inside and then moving into my lane in front of me, because further back the traffic is bumper to bumper. 

I'm confused, you think that you're seeing drink driving everyday and that nothing is done about it?  Or are you saying that the chance of being stopped for DD is the same as for any other offence?

Personally I wouldn't DD even if I thought I could get away with it.  The potential consequences are huge and life changing.  The campaign to make it socially unacceptable apparently worked on me, I simply wouldn't do it.

They must be really booting it if you are already overtaking and yet they have time to pass you on the inside and then pull out in front of you...  And this happens regularly?

Edited by Cyclone

On 24/04/2019 at 18:56, mickdemon1 said:

Indeed it is, you've hit the nail on the head. Same with too many parking on double yellows willy nilly. Happens all the time, never enforced. 

Offences such as parking on double yellow lines don't actually fall under police responsibility, and haven't for some time.

On 26/04/2019 at 17:07, Cyclone said:

I'm confused, you think that you're seeing drink driving everyday and that nothing is done about it?  Or are you saying that the chance of being stopped for DD is the same as for any other offence?

Personally I wouldn't DD even if I thought I could get away with it.  The potential consequences are huge and life changing.  The campaign to make it socially unacceptable apparently worked on me, I simply wouldn't do it.

They must be really booting it if you are already overtaking and yet they have time to pass you on the inside and then pull out in front of you...  And this happens regularly?

I see it regularly on the Parkway. 

You'll have a vehicle (usually a bus) tootling along. A car overtakes at 50 MPH (the speed limit) & doesn't move over immediately, presumably because they're conscious that a large vehicle needs more stopping distance. Then some moron overtakes the bus and undertakes the car at 60+, cutting into those safety margins. 

23 hours ago, Resident said:

I see it regularly on the Parkway. 

You'll have a vehicle (usually a bus) tootling along. A car overtakes at 50 MPH (the speed limit) & doesn't move over immediately, presumably because they're conscious that a large vehicle needs more stopping distance. Then some moron overtakes the bus and undertakes the car at 60+, cutting into those safety margins. 

So the 1st driver is spending so long in the right hand lane that someone else can overtake the bus, pull in, and then undertake the 1st car.

That's poor lane discipline from the 1st driver, excuses about stopping distance don't alter that they should have moved left.

I use the parkway regularly though, and I haven't seen this sort of weaving in and out, not even once as far as I can remember.

I DID undertake someone yesterday though, in the NSL section.  First I waited, about 10 seconds to see why they were doing 55 in the overtaking lane.  Then I flashed, once, then 5 more seconds before I flashed 3 times, then I blew my horn.  Then I undertook them.

As I passed I could see that they were staring down into their lap, still doing 55 in the overtaking lane.  Presumably busy reading or sending a text and so oblivious that they didn't hear the horn being blown behind them.

I lost sight of them behind me as I passed the AMRC, but they were still in the overtaking lane, and multiple other cars had undertaken them by then.

It would be better if people drove in a more considerate and conscientious manner. We're (motorists) all parts in a system, and we need to consider how we can best help that system flow freely and avoid blockages. That way, everyone's a winner.

Sadly, a lot of people don't think that way.

9 hours ago, Cyclone said:

So the 1st driver is spending so long in the right hand lane that someone else can overtake the bus, pull in, and then undertake the 1st car.

That's poor lane discipline from the 1st driver, excuses about stopping distance don't alter that they should have moved left.

I use the parkway regularly though, and I haven't seen this sort of weaving in and out, not even once as far as I can remember.

I DID undertake someone yesterday though, in the NSL section.  First I waited, about 10 seconds to see why they were doing 55 in the overtaking lane.  Then I flashed, once, then 5 more seconds before I flashed 3 times, then I blew my horn.  Then I undertook them.

As I passed I could see that they were staring down into their lap, still doing 55 in the overtaking lane.  Presumably busy reading or sending a text and so oblivious that they didn't hear the horn being blown behind them.

I lost sight of them behind me as I passed the AMRC, but they were still in the overtaking lane, and multiple other cars had undertaken them by then.

So you think it's perfectly safe and acceptable to pull in, 6ft in front of 14 tons of steel travelling at 45+mph?

Stick to the bike, you'll have less chance of injuring anyone. 

12 hours ago, Resident said:

So you think it's perfectly safe and acceptable to pull in, 6ft in front of 14 tons of steel travelling at 45+mph?

Stick to the bike, you'll have less chance of injuring anyone. 

6ft in front, oh you joker.  No, I didn't say, imply or even hint at that did I.  Nor is anyone undertaking by somehow fitting a car through that 6 ft gap.

Stick to my bike.  Don't be a complete tool, I drive regularly, just not to work.  I probably drive up the parkway more often than you do.

Guest makapaka
On 27/05/2019 at 09:21, Cyclone said:

Sounds like you were driving quite aggressively. 

Flashing and beeping at someone doing 55mph on the parkway seems overly aggressive to me. 

2 hours ago, makapaka said:

Sounds like you were driving quite aggressively. 

Flashing and beeping at someone doing 55mph on the parkway seems overly aggressive to me. 

How else are you supposed to get their attention  other than sounding your horn and flashing the lights if they are driving significantly slower then the speed limit holding up traffic. Someone hogging the outside lane on a dual carriageway when it is safe to move over is not driving safely.  The other week as I got on the parkway there was a car in the outside lane obviously they were there to let people get on the parkway but then made no effort to move over, I could see them in my mirror and they just carried on in the outside lane.

Edited by iansheff

I think there is a small but not insignificant number of motorists who think the 50mph limit on the Parkway applies all the way to the M1 - and some who intend to go S on the M1 but will stick in the OS lane at 60/65 for a good mile or more before the roundabout.

Edited by Longcol

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, iansheff said:

How else are you supposed to get their attention  other than sounding your horn and flashing the lights if they are driving significantly slower then the speed limit holding up traffic. Someone hogging the outside lane on a dual carriageway when it is safe to move over is not driving safely.  The other week as I got on the parkway there was a car in the outside lane obviously they were there to let people get on the parkway but then made no effort to move over, I could see them in my mirror and they just carried on in the outside lane.

The speed limit is 70mph for 4.2km of the Parkway.

You will be held up by about 40 seconds if you are behind someone doing 55mph for the full 4.2km stretch (on the rare occasions this happens and assuming it wasn't due to road conditions etc).

So to try and gain 40 seconds you beep and flash the driver to move over?? 

Sounds like unnecessarily aggressive driving to me - I'd rather share the road with someone doing 55mph than someone so desperate to save 40 seconds they are beeping and flashing the car in front.

Edited by makapaka