Inconsiderate drivers at traffic lights at Asda Drakehouse

Why are some people so inconsiderate (for want of a better word), I have just been to Asda and the traffic going to the retail park is horrendous and backing up to the roundabout at the college. Why do some people not think, there were 3 cars in front of me and no one could get out before the lights changed back to red because people had blocked the exit, not only that they even blocked the road for people wanting to turn right into Asda. The lights changed and no one managed to get out and the same thing happened again people blocking the exit and entrance, this time the car blocking people from entering reversed because a car wanted to turn into Asda which meant that cars could just get out when the lights went to green. 😠

5 hours ago, iansheff said:

Why are some people so inconsiderate (for want of a better word), I have just been to Asda and the traffic going to the retail park is horrendous and backing up to the roundabout at the college. Why do some people not think, there were 3 cars in front of me and no one could get out before the lights changed back to red because people had blocked the exit, not only that they even blocked the road for people wanting to turn right into Asda. The lights changed and no one managed to get out and the same thing happened again people blocking the exit and entrance, this time the car blocking people from entering reversed because a car wanted to turn into Asda which meant that cars could just get out when the lights went to green. 😠

The issue is the lack of enforcement. Junction blocking falls under Section 137, Highways Act. 

I used to live in Barnsley and almost daily BMBC would write "Junction blocking at Alhambra/Stair foot" on matrix signs yet failed to ever act on it. 

I agree with 'Resident', but at the risk of upsetting people by saying this - a large number of today's motorists shouldn't be on the road - it seems to me that either they have never taken lessons (or a test) or they have, and then left their brains in a jar at home.

The number of 'numpty' drivers I see on the roads - not just in Sheffield, but around the country - makes me eternally grateful I never took my test.

In addition to the behaviour referred to in the original post you get those that park on corners (double-yellow lined or not), on blind bends and other stupid places, probably because the poor individuals  can't walk more than ten yards to get a newspaper, for instance.

6 hours ago, iansheff said:

30 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

I agree with 'Resident', but at the risk of upsetting people by saying this - a large number of today's motorists shouldn't be on the road - it seems to me that either they have never taken lessons (or a test) or they have, and then left their brains in a jar at home.

The number of 'numpty' drivers I see on the roads - not just in Sheffield, but around the country - makes me eternally grateful I never took my test.

In addition to the behaviour referred to in the original post you get those that park on corners (double-yellow lined or not), on blind bends and other stupid places, probably because the poor individuals  can't walk more than ten yards to get a newspaper, for instance.

Don't go any where near the place on  a BH!!

14 hours ago, RollingJ said:

I honestly wonder how some drivers make it from A to B.  Have you noticed the drivers that stop behind a park car rather than over take it because there is traffic coming towards them, seen this countless times even though there is plenty of room for three cars or even 2 cars and a bus. Also some people seem to think they have to drive as near as possible to the white line in the middle of the road which does make it harder to overtake parked cars when you are heading towards them.

15 hours ago, Resident said:

The issue is the lack of enforcement. Junction blocking falls under Section 137, Highways Act. 

I used to live in Barnsley and almost daily BMBC would write "Junction blocking at Alhambra/Stair foot" on matrix signs yet failed to ever act on it. 

It is just a pity that there wasn't a police car just leaving the police station sat there waiting to get out of the junction.

Edited by iansheff

9 hours ago, iansheff said:

I honestly wonder how some drivers make it from A to B.  Have you noticed the drivers that stop behind a park car rather than over take it because there is traffic coming towards them, seen this countless times even though there is plenty of room for three cars or even 2 cars and a bus. Also some people seem to think they have to drive as near as possible to the white line in the middle of the road which does make it harder to overtake parked cars when you are heading towards them.

It is just a pity that there wasn't a police car just leaving the police station sat there waiting to get out of the junction.

SYP are useless. The number of  times I saw Barnsley officers ignore driving that broke the law simply because they were on their way back to the station for breaks/end of  shift. (I lived on the same road as the station). 

We no longer have a police force fit for purpose. 

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 18:53, Resident said:

Does this apply to buses? the amount of times the Wicker junction and also Hillsborough corner junctions are blocked by buses is ridiculous.

Edited by Yeah but

I have never been stopped by the police. I don't drink and drive, but I have been tempted by the thought that the chances of getting caught are infinitesimal. Meanwhile, selfish divers pull out of junctions expecting me to brake (most taxi drivers seem to think it's up to other motorists to take evasive action), you can't drive on a motorway without being undertaken and it's common to see drivers on their phones. Police enforcement of motoring law is a joke. 

Drive to Asda at Drakehouse 5 days a week apart from congestion towards weekend i don't have a problem, driving to work at Brightside lane is another game cut up, almost daily going through Darnall, not long before i can retire and get a buss pass and give up driving and enjoy travelling again lol...

9 hours ago, linaker said:

I have never been stopped by the police. I don't drink and drive, but I have been tempted by the thought that the chances of getting caught are infinitesimal. Meanwhile, selfish divers pull out of junctions expecting me to brake (most taxi drivers seem to think it's up to other motorists to take evasive action), you can't drive on a motorway without being undertaken and it's common to see drivers on their phones. Police enforcement of motoring law is a joke. 

You don't think that the deterioration in driving quality when having been drinking might make it more likely that you'll be stopped?  And the risks to other peoples and your own lives, hopefully they're more of a deterrent than the risk of being stopped.

If you're getting undertaken then you have to wonder what you're doing in an overtaking lane, right?

14 hours ago, Yeah but said:

Does this apply to buses? the amount of times the Wicker junction and also Hillsborough corner junctions are blocked by buses is ridiculous.

I pass through HC twice a day during rush hour (on my bike), and it's common to see cars blocking it (trying to cross to Holme Lane).  I don't think I've ever seen a bus blocking it though.

They DO have to pull out of the terminus, 100 metres up from the corner, and sometimes they will partially block the road for 20 or 30 seconds, generally when a car driver hasn't had the foresight to let them out.

On 23/04/2019 at 10:07, iansheff said:

Monday was a bit of a trial, I assume as it was a BH they were all Sunday drivers out.

I made one journey, to the climbing works from Wadsley, early.  In that journey someone pulled out on me from a side road to Bramall Lane, and 2 cars came the other way straddling the white line (for no good reason).

On 22/04/2019 at 18:53, Resident said:

There's nothing BMBC can do about it other than ask drivers not to do it.

Only the Police can enforce this contravention.

In London, local Councils can enforce box junctions by camera, but outside London, despite calls for the powers to be rolled out, the government have so far refused to do so. 

On 22 April 2019 at 18:53, Resident said:

Indeed it is, you've hit the nail on the head. Same with too many parking on double yellows willy nilly. Happens all the time, never enforced. 

Edited by mickdemon1