Moving to the right neighbourhood

On 24/04/2019 at 09:22, Cyclone said:

Oh, and I always find this map fascinating.

http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

You can zoom in on various areas and see "what they're like" for either specific indexes or the index of multiple deprivation factors.  This gives you a good idea about the type of place you're looking at I think.

I would take this with a pinch of salt to be honest. 

Moorbank Road where all the house are £500k+ is deprived

Hallam Grange Road - House averages £400k+ is deprived

The west end of Manchester Road leading into the peaks is heavily deprived despite average house prices being £600k

Also it is dated as 2015 which may explain why Khelham Island is "within the 10% most deprived"

I know it's not all about house prices but it's fair to say the two go hand in hand.

Like I said, interesting.

Moorbank Rd, just south of Manchester Road?

When you say "it's deprived", well, the map doesn't show a binary "deprived or not deprived", are you talking about it being in the mid orange colour for income deprivation?  Or the overall index?

If you go through the individual values it scores very badly in "barriers to housing and services", which to be honest I don't know what that means.

http://opendatacommunities.org/def/concept/general-concepts/imd/barrierstohousservices

The Barriers to Housing and Services Domain measures the physical and financial accessibility of housing and local services. The indicators fall into two sub-domains: geographical barriers, which relate to the physical proximity of local services, and wider barriers which includes issues relating to access to housing such as affordability..

So that's dragging the overall index down I expect.

Also, don't forget that wealth is not the same as income.  So the houses may be valuable, but perhaps there are many elderly residents who've had the houses for 40 or 50 years but don't actually have a particularly high income.

Yes, it's like a cul-de-sac.

It shows deprived via colour using the index key on the left. With more deprived being red , therefore far to say deprive vs not- deprived being red vs not red.

This is the overall score yes.

I imagine "barriers to housing" would make sense as it could mean something like:

There is a barrier to buying a house, i.e the massive cost.

Whether this should be interpreted as "deprived" is another story.

I do agree with the last statement yes, many people may not have bought the houses when they were worth so much, however they must have some money to live in these houses.

Council tax for example is often upwards of £2600 per year, double the city average. 

Statistically speaking, not everyone can be elderly although granted it does feel like that sometimes in Fulwood and Lodge Moor.

I don't think that barriers to housing means cost, select that index and have a look around, it's not correlated to house value.

http://www.mycounciltax.org.uk/results?postcode=S10+5TR

That's the council tax rates, a mixture of high and low bands by the look (ignoring the flats).

I'm sure that not everyone is elderly, you do get areas where there are more young people and areas where there aren't though.  I doubt that moorfoot road has many first time buyers moving in and starting families.

As soon as I read the OP the first word into my mind was Crosspool!

Oh god . . here we go again.  The OP is working in the university, has asked for easy commute, talks about having friends and family in Chesterfield, and SF recommends Oughtibridge and S6!

You could not make it up.

The only advice worth listenign to is the 6-10pm advice.   Within that range you have trendy academic areas like Nether Edge, Eccleshall Road, Woodseats etc, and also more affordable areas like Meersbrooke.   All are within 2 miles of the city centre, with good transport and a good range of houses for 300-400k.  More expensive options would be Totley, Dore etc, but those are much further out.

S6 my lily white <removed>.

Edited by nikki-red

I'll tell the lecturer who lives 1 road over from me in S6 that he's living in the wrong place and has been for a decade.  I'm sure he'll be very interested in your advice, and about how his commute is difficult.

Admittedly he doesn't have family in Chesterfield, that's the factor that might make the OP want to stay to the south of the city, nothing else.

The whole Chesterfield thing needs to be put into perspective.  I have family living to the east of the city, but it doesn't mean that I need to live on that side (I don't in fact).

If you visit once a week (which for some people might actually seem really high) then the difference between 20 and 35 minutes is largely immaterial.

I'm in S6 on the edge of the peak district heading up towards Bradfield, to get to Chesterfield right now (according to google maps) would take me.  45 minutes.  Outside rush hour that changes to 30 - 40.  From Dore the travel time (this is by car btw) is 20 mins  or 25 - 30 outside rush hour.  (Going against the traffic, hence no delay due to rush hour).

Edited by Cyclone

Would be interesting to know where the OP ended up! 

They're not moving for another 11 months so we'll have to wait a while.