Moving to the right neighbourhood

Hello.   We are moving to Sheffield (probably next year) from Cambridge for a job at the University of Sheffield.  As with other posts, there are a bunch of questions and factors that play in to choosing the right part of town to move to.  Here are our factors.  Any suggestions of neighbourhoods or parts of the city and suburbs that would meet any of these factors are very welcome. 

• We have family to the south in Chesterfield (and like them).  
  • We would like to commute to the University of Sheffield by bus, train, tram or bike - not car if possible.
  • We're looking for 4+ beds, under £400k, without needing to renovate/remodel it.
  • We have primary school age children (3).
  • We're in our early 30s.
  • One of our children has special needs, and so we're probably looking for a special school.
  • We are Catholic, and so would like to be near to an active Catholic church.
  • Probably like everyone, we really value parks and walks, preferably within walking distance.

If you have a suggestion that covers any or all of these, I'd be happy for your thoughts.  Also, feel free to link to somewhere else on the forum where you've already answered this!

1 hour ago, McNeely said:

Hello.   We are moving to Sheffield (probably next year) from Cambridge for a job at the University of Sheffield.  As with other posts, there are a bunch of questions and factors that play in to choosing the right part of town to move to.  Here are our factors.  Any suggestions of neighbourhoods or parts of the city and suburbs that would meet any of these factors are very welcome. 

• We have family to the south in Chesterfield (and like them).  
  • We would like to commute to the University of Sheffield by bus, train, tram or bike - not car if possible.
  • We're looking for 4+ beds, under £400k, without needing to renovate/remodel it.
  • We have primary school age children (3).
  • We're in our early 30s.
  • One of our children has special needs, and so we're probably looking for a special school.
  • We are Catholic, and so would like to be near to an active Catholic church.
  • Probably like everyone, we really value parks and walks, preferably within walking distance.

If you have a suggestion that covers any or all of these, I'd be happy for your thoughts.  Also, feel free to link to somewhere else on the forum where you've already answered this!

Sounds like you should be aiming for the south side of Sheffield. I would imagine the following areas would be worth considering:

• Millhouses
  • Norton
  • Ecclesall
  • Totley

All are served by very good schools and there is a very good, no extremely good, catholic church that people from those areas visit -  Mother of God on Abbeydale Road. There are other Catholic Churches in the above areas but I've identified what I think is the jewel in the crown. All areas are well served by bus routes to/from Sheffield University.

House price wise, you should be able to find what your are looking but bear in mind that there is a fairly wide price-spread in these areas. Have a look at the likes of Rightmove etc and plug in postcodes S8, S11 and S17 to restrict to the above areas.

There are special needs schools in the area covering all age groups (I think), so your needs should be covered in that respect.

Happy to help if you need any more information.

Thanks SgtDave,  that just the kind of suggestion I was hoping for.  

The University has a tram stop making commuting pretty decent, you can have quite a wide search radius if your commute will involve a tram ride as it's pretty speedy.

To the North; Oughtibridge, Wharncliffe Side, Bolsterstone and some parts of Deepcar/Stocksbridge have really lovely houses, being located right on the edge of the Peak District the scenery is wonderful.

Edited by geared

Look between 6 and 10 o 'clock if you think of Sheffield as a clock face for the nicer parts. If you're looking at the south side of Sheffield to have easy access to Chesterfield, there's a wide choice of nice areas with good schools and parks. There are "trendier" areas closer to the city centre but still easy to get out of the city from like Greystones, sharrow Vale, Meersbrook, Nether edge, which have mostly Victorian houses and are near good schools and parks, and quieter, more suburban areas like Beauchief, Totley, Norton, Greenhill,  Bradway, where you will find newer semis with larger gardens. Depends what you're after.

Thanks geared for the recommendations.  Those villages looks beautiful.   I think we're looking to be closer in, in the city itself or its attached suburbs.

Thanks amazon123.  

How easy is it to get into the centre from those outer suburbs - Beauchief, Bradway et al.?  

Do you have a favourite of the "trendier" or of the outer areas you mentioned?

13 hours ago, geared said:

The University has a tram stop making commuting pretty decent, you can have quite a wide search radius if your commute will involve a tram ride as it's pretty speedy.

To the North; Oughtibridge, Wharncliffe Side, Bolsterstone and some parts of Deepcar/Stocksbridge have really lovely houses, being located right on the edge of the Peak District the scenery is wonderful.

However the tram doesn't serve the South of the city at all and the OP wants to live on that side for proximity to Chesterfield.

I suppose they might consider more of the city if they get an idea of how "far" from Chesterfield that becomes.  I'm in S6 on the edge of the peak district heading up towards Bradfield, to get to Chesterfield right now (according to google maps) would take me.  45 minutes.  Outside rush hour that changes to 30 - 40.  From Dore the travel time (this is by car btw) is 20 mins  or 25 - 30 outside rush hour.  (Going against the traffic, hence no delay due to rush hour).

Cheers Cyclone.  

Would you recommend your part of S6 for commuting into Sheffield?

Crosspool. S10

Walk(15minutes) or cycle(5minutes there 15minutes back or get a Brompton)  to the University.

Frequent bus service (51) to the University or the moors. Buses into Derbyshire. Ladybower

5 minutes from open country.

Children's Hospital Annexe Ryegate NHS centre for children with disabilities*.

Gets gritted in winter.

Golf course.

Oldest football ground in the world.

Ample playgrounds, parks and adventure walks. Woods, moors, lakes, cliffs with views over the city and 3/4 counties. Nowhere better in Sheffield.

Farmland, allotments, horses, sheep and llamas.

At a mile away, St Marie's primary and Notre Dame Secondary (one of the two)Catholic schools on route to the University* and two other Secondaries and several primaries all highly rated are even closer. Several public schools as well.

Active Catholic church.

Some shopping, takeaways and plenty of pubs and eateries around.

A favourite area with NHS and University staff but not with Students and has a stable population.

Journey to Chesterfield not good but there are routes that avoid the City centre and are not too busy outside rush hour.

Rush our starts earlier in the afternoon because of the school children.

A large range of houses but 4+ bedrooms are very much at a premium anywhere in the city- either old houses or extension- full survey therefore essential.

*Regarding disability.

Contact the education service now. They will advise on the schools which are most suitable and how to apply. For example a child who  will be re-assessed at the Children's Hospital Annexe at Ryegate and will most likely attend a mainstream school of your choice. The are specialized units and a few special schools. St Maries' primary and Notre Dame Secondary Catholic schools provided a "safe" environment for autistic children. Some units involve long bus journeys so contacting the education service first is essential in deciding where in the City you will live.

Crosspool Clarion is online and will give a very good impression of Crosspool.

Edited by Annie Bynnol
minutes replace m

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Crosspool. S10

Walk(15minutes) or cycle(5minutes there 15minutes back or get a Brompton)  to the University.

Frequent bus service (51) to the University or the moors. Buses into Derbyshire. Ladybower

5 minutes from open country.

Children's Hospital Annexe Ryegate NHS centre for children with disabilities*.

Gets gritted in winter.

Golf course.

Oldest football ground in the world.

Ample playgrounds, parks and adventure walks. Woods, moors, lakes, cliffs with views over the city and 3/4 counties. Nowhere better in Sheffield.

Farmland, allotments, horses, sheep and llamas.

At a mile away, St Marie's primary and Notre Dame Secondary (one of the two)Catholic schools on route to the University* and two other Secondaries and several primaries all highly rated are even closer. Several public schools as well.

Active Catholic church.

Some shopping, takeaways and plenty of pubs and eateries around.

A favourite area with NHS and University staff but not with Students and has a stable population.

Journey to Chesterfield not good but there are routes that avoid the City centre and are not too busy outside rush hour.

Rush our starts earlier in the afternoon because of the school children.

A large range of houses but 4+ bedrooms are very much at a premium anywhere in the city- either old houses or extension- full survey therefore essential.

*Regarding disability.

Contact the education service now. They will advise on the schools which are most suitable and how to apply. For example a child who  will be re-assessed at the Children's Hospital Annexe at Ryegate and will most likely attend a mainstream school of your choice. The are specialized units and a few special schools. St Maries' primary and Notre Dame Secondary Catholic schools provided a "safe" environment for autistic children. Some units involve long bus journeys so contacting the education service first is essential in deciding where in the City you will live.

Crosspool Clarion is online and will give a very good impression of Crosspool.

Wow.  Thanks for all of that Annie, and for taking the time to write it.  It's really helpful.  

On 23/04/2019 at 08:18, McNeely said:

Cheers Cyclone.  

Would you recommend your part of S6 for commuting into Sheffield?

Yes, it's pretty easy from here.  I cycle to work, but there's the tram terminus (middlewood road) about 5 minutes walk away.  Either would work for the university, I don't work that far from it, I guess it would take me 20-25 mins on the bike.

I can't comment on the schools though, I don't have any interest in them.

The peak district is also just a few minutes away, either through Bradfield or towards the Rivelin Valley.

You should get a 4 or 5 bed for 400k in this area, with a decent garden.

Hillsborough Park is a ten minute walk from me, or for less formal green space Wadsley Common is only 5 mins away, from there it carries on up behind the Hillsborough Golf club and into farmland with plenty of paths and quiet lanes.

I'd second what Annie said about Crosspool, we looked there when we were moving (7 years ago), settled on Wadsley because you got a little more for your money and the traffic is lighter around here, proximity to the tram for commuting to the station was a priority as well, although no longer an issue for us.

Oh, and I always find this map fascinating.

http://dclgapps.communities.gov.uk/imd/idmap.html

You can zoom in on various areas and see "what they're like" for either specific indexes or the index of multiple deprivation factors.  This gives you a good idea about the type of place you're looking at I think.