Local elections 2 May 2019

On 25/04/2019 at 12:52, apelike said:

That could just be down in part to the nature of party politics and that antiquated tradition I was mentioning. As its been said many times, if you pin a red rosette on a donkey in Sheffield then people will vote for it.

It is only said by tedious people with a poor sense of perspective and a lack of political nous.

For sure, there are parts of Sheffield that will vote Labour come hell, or high water. There are far more parts of the country that elect blue donkeys repeatedly. That’s why we endure wave after wave of Tory governments 

After this hapless lot, the logical conclusion is for nobody to vote Tory, anywhere. Somehow, I can’t see that happening.

On 24/04/2019 at 19:34, Annie Bynnol said:

To get anything done affiliations come about because of shared interest or common goals, to make  agreements or resolve disputes.  

whether in a formal party, coalition or just a collection of independant individuals, to achieve anything they have to act collectively. 

in terms of how they do it then how about this for a framework, whic

https://iffrome.org.uk/ways-of-working/

this has appeared to have worked very well for them. 

35 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

whether in a formal party, coalition or just a collection of independant individuals, to achieve anything they have to act collectively. 

A tad easier in a small market town of about 25,000 people in Somerset where 75% of housing is owner occupied, low unemployment, overwhelmingly white, than in a city like Sheffield.

It would appear male candidates must have receding hairline.

https://iffrome.org.uk/candidates/

Edited by Longcol

On 26/04/2019 at 20:47, Pettytom said:

It is only said by tedious people with a poor sense of perspective and a lack of political nous.

Given the statistics I think you have just now described the majority of Sheffield voters!  :)

1 hour ago, andyofborg said:

Quite, it seems that the only people who object to it are the ones who support Labour, the party that also objected to the Local Government Act 1972.

Edited by apelike

29 minutes ago, andyofborg said:

What a strange example.

These people are candidates in Mendip  District  Elections, the bottom tier in the Non-metropolitan Councils

Out of 47 seats on the Council they have two (2015).

They have zero influence on the  32tories  that run the council.

Perhaps if they spent more time working for their constituents rather defining how they talk to each other, they might have more success.

I'm not sure what"has appeared to have worked very well for them. "

18 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

What a strange example.

These people are candidates in Mendip  District  Elections, the bottom tier in the Non-metropolitan Councils

Out of 47 seats on the Council they have two (2015).

They have zero influence on the  32tories  that run the council.

Perhaps if they spent more time working for their constituents rather defining how they talk to each other, they might have more success.

I'm not sure what"has appeared to have worked very well for them. "

You haven't read the whole site, the group form pretty much all of Frome council. 

They have become the poster persons for the non-aligned council movement.

19 hours ago, Longcol said:

A tad easier in a small market town of about 25,000 people in Somerset where 75% of housing is owner occupied, low unemployment, overwhelmingly white, than in a city like Sheffield.

It would appear male candidates must have receding hairline.

https://iffrome.org.uk/candidates/

possibly but just because it's hard doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried.

2 hours ago, andyofborg said:

You haven't read the whole site, the group form pretty much all of Frome council. 

They have become the poster persons for the non-aligned council movement.

You mean they're Lib Dems who dare not speak the name after the collapse in the vote post "coalition".

1 hour ago, Longcol said:

You mean they're Lib Dems who dare not speak the name after the collapse in the vote post "coalition".

i've no idea

i guess its possible that some of them may have been, you would have to ask  them

On 26/04/2019 at 02:02, apelike said:

Why only the last 20 years?  If you go back further in time to just after the introduction of the Local Government Act 1972 you will see that Labour had straight control from 1974 till 1999 with 5 consecutive periods. Since then we have had 3 with no overall control, 2 Lib Dems and 2 Labour. That gives labour 7 terms in all, Lib Dems 2, and no overall control 3 with two of those actually being led by a Labour leader.  So given that its not such a tired old trope after all. :)

Simply because the last 20 years seems more relevant to the discussion? We voted to stay in Europe in 1975 so by your logic it's 1-1 now. Best of three................

What will be the effect of this severe mistrust of politicians?

Local elections are always swayed by national opinion. As its mainly the leave voters that are unhappy, will the remain supporting partys do well in the locals?

How many people will not vote in the locals?

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Local elections are always swayed by national opinion.

Depends on the area.  The last couple of places I've lived the Lib Dems have always won, because they only discuss and work on local issues.

Their regular leaflets don't mention May or Corbyn or Brexit, they're just simple monochrome affairs detailing what they've done and what they're campaigning for locally.  So they'll get my vote like they always do.

Unlike Labour and the Tories, who always send out a nice glossy leaflet only at election time.

Nationally I think all the main parties are a shower and I'd be hard pushed to vote for any.

Edited by alchresearch