Local elections 2 May 2019

32 minutes ago, jaffa1 said:

Some of them have been read by thousands of the public as many have been printed in the national newspapers and I must add there were quite a few good comments written on some of them.

How did the newspapers get them, did they find them in a bin somewhere?

12 minutes ago, apelike said:

How did the newspapers get them, did they find them in a bin somewhere?

Each party has its own observers at the count who I suspect are the source of many of these stories.

It does strike me a slightly bizzare that those who bang on about how undemocratic the EU is and how ignoring the 2016 referendum is an attack on democracy, yet their involvement in the democratic process is to scribble childish comments on the ballot paper.

3 hours ago, jaffa1 said:

Some of them have been read by thousands of the public as many have been printed in the national newspapers and I must add there were quite a few good comments written on some of them.

I'm not sure how they've managed to get hold of a completed ballot paper unless the person who filled it in took a photo' in the polling station booth, which is illegal. Cameras are not allowed at the count and after the ballots have been counted they are bagged up and securely held for a period of time so they can't have been photographed, legally, after the voter had cast their vote.

25 minutes ago, max said:

I'm not sure how they've managed to get hold of a completed ballot paper unless the person who filled it in took a photo' in the polling station booth, which is illegal. Cameras are not allowed at the count and after the ballots have been counted they are bagged up and securely held for a period of time so they can't have been photographed, legally, after the voter had cast their vote.

Exactly.. Hence my comment.

1 minute ago, apelike said:

Exactly.. Hence my comment.

It is not illegal to read something, remember it, then tell a journalist.

3 hours ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Each party has its own observers at the count who I suspect are the source of many of these stories.

It does strike me a slightly bizzare that those who bang on about how undemocratic the EU is and how ignoring the 2016 referendum is an attack on democracy, yet their involvement in the democratic process is to scribble childish comments on the ballot paper.

Postal vote photographed at home before placing in the envelope and then passed  to the media or put on Facebook?

36 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

It is not illegal to read something, remember it, then tell a journalist.

Are you sure about that?

I am sure the counters are bound by a code of confidentiality and think it would possibly come under the Data Protection Act. So how do you think the media got hold of photos of ballot papers and then published copies of them, although as I dont read the media I have never personally seen any? 

1 minute ago, BigPP said:

Postal vote photographed at home before placing in the envelope and then passed  to the media or put on Facebook?

Good thinking!

Edited by apelike

15 minutes ago, apelike said:

Are you sure about that?

Absolutely.

Who said that there are photos of spoiled ballot papers? All I've heard is quotes of the sort of things that people wrote.

1 hour ago, BigPP said:

That's  a possibility  as these were photographs of the ballet papers that had been written on but even so I would have thought that all this should be very private and not passed on to the press.