Local elections 2 May 2019

1 hour ago, nikki-red said:

This thread is about the local elections

While there is no doubt the two subjects are linked please dont turn this into another discussion solely about Brexit.

Thank you.

You are right. This thread is well off topic now.

I’’ve just started a thread in General Discussions about the Euro Elections. That might be a better place to discuss the meaning of the local election results in the wider context including Brexit.

Edited by nikki-red

7 minutes ago, Pettytom said:

You are right. This thread is well off topic now.

I’’ve just started a thread in General Discussions about the Euro Elections. That might be a better place to discuss the meaning of the local election results in the wider context including Brexit.

No it's not. The local elections and Brexit are now completely intertwined. Unfortunately you can't separate the 2 issues. The whole political system is in the process of being turned on it's head.

i think local elections are separate,well done to richard shaw in our area,he won with a landslide,which proves there is a alternitive in sheffield.

2 hours ago, Baron99 said:

There was no evidence that Brexit was on the agenda from the literature dropped through my letter box prior to last Thursday. 

Yet almost every candidate interviewed in the past two weeks said virtually the same thing. “We are getting a lot of hostility on the doorstep and it is almost always down to Brexit.”

1 hour ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Yet almost every candidate interviewed in the past two weeks said virtually the same thing. “We are getting a lot of hostility on the doorstep and it is almost always down to Brexit.”

Who interviewed these candidates and where does that quote come from?

11 hours ago, I1L2T3 said:

Yes it does. They have utterly lost touch with reality.

Remainers must not lose their nerve. We will win in the end.

So you don't believe in democracy then.

2 minutes ago, apelike said:

Who interviewed these candidates and where does that quote come from?

Pretty much every news organisation covering these elections and the quote is my synthesis of all the interviews I saw as well as the many pundits discussing post-Brexit negotiation difficulties for parties campaigning in these elections.

I see Jeffrey Shaw only managed to get 126 votes. Not even three times the number the National Front got!

28 minutes ago, Bob Arctor said:

I see Jeffrey Shaw only managed to get 126 votes. Not even three times the number the National Front got!

Who was he standing for?

41 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Who was he standing for?

UKIP

10 minutes ago, Top Cats Hat said:

Isn’t he supposed to be a solicitor? 😳

I don’t think party political membership is a barrier? Though personally I would not want to employ someone to represent me in legal matter with those types of views.

Edited by nightrider