Local elections 2 May 2019

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Depends on the area.  The last couple of places I've lived the Lib Dems have always won, because they only discuss and work on local issues.

Their regular leaflets don't mention May or Corbyn or Brexit, they're just simple monochrome affairs detailing what they've done and what they're campaigning for locally.  So they'll get my vote like they always do.

My leaflets are entirely local, I mainly sited the things that I have done, not what I would like to change.

Very little involvement from the Liberal Democrat office. I did put the LD emblem on, I wanted it to be low key, but it didn't really work out that way, due to a printing error.

I did wonder where my thread vanished to, people from outside of Sheffield have local elections too.

3 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Editing my quote to remove the word "Tories"?  Hmmm, that says a lot.  Do you put L**ds for Leeds too?

Nothing to do with what you're implying, simply I don't know what the situation is with the Tories and their leaflets.

13 hours ago, apelike said:

Ahh, I thought it was because Labour had previously had 5 straight terms running the council since 1974 and so somehow didn't count... :) Not sure what the relevance of the last sentence was either. 

Right lets get down to brass tacks - you stated the voters of Sheffield would vote Labour if you stuck a red rosette on a donkey, or words to that effect.

1. I have demonstrated that over the past 20 years that simply is not true as the council has been run by both Labour and the Lib Dems.
  2. You are correct that during a number of the periods of no overall control the council was led by Labour - but the very fact that Labour had no overall control demonstrates the inaccuracy of your initial comment, if Sheffield voters ambled down to the polling station every couple of years like zombies to put a cross next to whichever Labour candidate was on offer then clearly there would never be an instance where the party did not have overall control.
  3. I mentioned the last twenty years as what seemed like a reasonable time frame, you don't like this because in the 70s Labour were in control. I wasn't born then pal - perhaps the fact that the last 20 years have been much less clear cut in terms of Labour gaining power demonstrates an increase in voter intelligence within younger generations?
  4. I mentioned Brexit simply to highlight the lack of relevance of elections/referendums in the 70s to current political discourse I'm sure you'd agree the 1974 referendum has little relevance to the 2016 vote, so why should local elections in the 70s have any to today's?

Anyway doubt we'll ever agree on any of this, have a nice day.

Given the current political climate, with cuts to funding its impressive to see my local area looking so good (Hillsborough).

There's been few additions new Mirco pubs, new shops, private housing and the proposed flats being built over the Exchange, looks like the council have obviously invested  money on the Park.

Driving around I've seen new fencing top and bottom of the park and the secret garden looks great the SCC  gardeners do such a great job at the park no wonder they got the Tramlines festival to come to Hillsborough, it's clear the councillors are keen to improve places such as Hillsborough Park, so credit were its due our local councillors have been busy, finding the time to help the local community litter picking etc,

I read in the Star news about a dementia cafe, so it'll be nice when the park gets a Cafe.  

Locally, I'm not sure what the other parties have to offer?

Guessing any leafleting has been targeted, as we've not had any Leaflets at all.

shame as I the last local labour council election candidate, had  many interesting local achievements, this year I'm  not feeling the choice.

4 hours ago, Beechwood_S6 said:

Given the current political climate, with cuts to funding its impressive to see my local area looking so good (Hillsborough).

There's been few additions new Mirco pubs, new shops, private housing and the proposed flats being built over the Exchange, looks like the council have obviously invested  money on the Park.

Driving around I've seen new fencing top and bottom of the park and the secret garden looks great the SCC  gardeners do such a great job at the park no wonder they got the Tramlines festival to come to Hillsborough, it's clear the councillors are keen to improve places such as Hillsborough Park, so credit were its due our local councillors have been busy, finding the time to help the local community litter picking etc,

I read in the Star news about a dementia cafe, so it'll be nice when the park gets a Cafe.  

Guessing any leafleting has been targeted, as we've not had any Leaflets at all.

shame as I the last local labour council election candidate, had  many interesting local achievements, this year I'm  not feeling the choice.

The walled garden is looked after by volunteers, 'Friends of Hillsborough Park'. Age UK Sheffield are behind the development of the Coach House .  

Just saying.

my vote goes to the councillors that look after local folk,like ours at lowedges,top class lib/dems cannot fault them on local issues,tried labour in our area a few times,but they go back on there word everytime,and look after certain groups only,so thats why they lose.

On 01/05/2019 at 06:55, Beechwood_S6 said:

I've had loads of leaflets in Walkley, though looking at last years results it was a close race between greens and labour. So they feel my seat is worth targeting. Though that doesn't explain leaflets from other parties that have no chance of winning based on last years result

On 23/04/2019 at 09:31, iansheff said:

It isn't too late, the postal vote has to get there by 1st May, however a lot of people post them straight away as it says send immediately.

I thought about spoiling my paper but as you say all it does is count as a spoilt paper. There are 5 candidates on my voting slip Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative, Green or UKIP so it is a matter of making the most of what you have or not voting, it is a pity there isn't an Independent candidate on the ballot sheet.

Of course it's too late. Every flier that came through our door after that first green party one was a waste of time and money because the vote had already gone in, so a total waste of time to anyone who sent them back straight away.

On 29/04/2019 at 15:39, max said:

I'd be interested to know where this is as my policy is to have all leaflets delivered by the Sunday before the postal votes hit. Having said that, only around 20% of voters have a postal vote so it may not be as big an issue as all that.

20% is quite a lot, but unless those leaflets are delivered by that Sunday then some will be a waste of time.

Well obviously no one wants my vote no canvasing or leaflets in the Hillsborough area. 

Have just been to cast my vote... On the ballot paper were four choices, Labour, Conservative, Lib Dem or Green.

After promising myself that I would never vote for any of these four parties ever again, it would have been unconscionable to endorse any of them. So I didn't. 

14 minutes ago, chris101 said:

Well obviously no one wants my vote no canvasing or leaflets in the Hillsborough area. 

I got nothing either. There was a mob of people outside the polling station trying to persuade me to vote for them. I politely told them that they should maybe have done so a few weeks ago.

I’ve never known an election where I received no information before.