Local elections 2 May 2019

Think I've only had a ukip leaflet so far, that went straight in the bin

It is really a pity that local governments are party political. Most of the councillors in my Parish are independents...and party politics just doesnt come into any deliberations...

The vast majority of leaflets delivered around here are only delivered well after peoples postal votes are already posted so therefore they are wasting thier time.

3 minutes ago, spilldig said:

The vast majority of leaflets delivered around here are only delivered well after peoples postal votes are already posted so therefore they are wasting thier time.

I'd be interested to know where this is as my policy is to have all leaflets delivered by the Sunday before the postal votes hit. Having said that, only around 20% of voters have a postal vote so it may not be as big an issue as all that.

42 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Unlike Labour and the <snip> , who always send out a nice glossy leaflet only at election time.

There is a reason for only hearing from your local Labour Party at election time and that's financial. We don't get any funding for our literature so we have to raise the money ourselves, other than the occasional flyer, we tend to limit production to one a year. We're lucky in Stannington as we can usually rely on our volunteers to deliver to most properties only missing out on our more rural population. Other wards across the city have fewer volunteers and sometimes struggle to get out the one leaflet a year they produce.

Here in Hallam the Lib Dems used to have Clegg's deep pockets to finance their leaflets which is why they used to put out 2 to 3 a year.

As a matter of interest, what information would you like to have from your local parties on a more regular basis?

Editing my quote to remove the word "Tories"?  Hmmm, that says a lot.  Do you put L**ds for Leeds too?

7 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Editing my quote to remove the word "Tories"?  Hmmm, that says a lot.  Do you put L**ds for Leeds too?

Yes . Very childish 

30 minutes ago, spilldig said:

I got an email today, stating that they, 1,000, were late probably due to being busy with the EU elections, they were sent out on Friday.

40 minutes ago, smithy266 said:

It is really a pity that local governments are party political. Most of the councillors in my Parish are independents...and party politics just doesnt come into any deliberations...

The same can be said for the Police commissioner role and (I think) the Mayor??

but then if the local council wasn't political would anyone actually want the job??

21 hours ago, andyofborg said:

possibly but just because it's hard doesn't mean it shouldn't be tried.

If you look at the 2015 election results for the Frome Wards

https://www.frometowncouncil.gov.uk/elections-2015/

you'll note that the "town council" is in reality a Parish Council. 

It is hardly unusual for parish councillors to be independents - in fact probably the norm.

You'll also note that there are 17 Parish Councillors for a town with a population of 26,000 - compared to say Sheffield - 84 councillors for a population of over half a million - 20 times the size of Frome.

Their is no real comparison.

9 hours ago, Eccy Beach said:

Simply because the last 20 years seems more relevant to the discussion? We voted to stay in Europe in 1975 so by your logic it's 1-1 now. Best of three................

Ahh, I thought it was because Labour had previously had 5 straight terms running the council since 1974 and so somehow didn't count... :) Not sure what the relevance of the last sentence was either. 

Edited by apelike

2 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Yes . Very childish 

And I believe also against forum rules as you should not amend a posters quote when quoting it.