Local elections 2 May 2019

thats why we need to vote for a different party ,to the same old ,same old,its not helping our city ,time for change asap.

11 minutes ago, bassett one said:

thats why we need to vote for a different party ,to the same old ,same old,its not helping our city ,time for change asap.

what would you like to change?

and, more importantly, would your changes be within the power of a so-minded council to implement?

At 65 I’ve voted in every eligible election but have no idea who to vote for this time. A lot of my friends feel the same way. I think Brexit has uncovered so many hypocrites that it’s coloured my attitude to all politicians

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 12:32, spilldig said:

We have had two flyers through the door both from the greens, and none others, but the second one was already too late for anyone who voted by post, as we did.

It isn't too late, the postal vote has to get there by 1st May, however a lot of people post them straight away as it says send immediately.

20 hours ago, apelike said:

Unfortunately spoiling the ballot paper also achieves nothing and just goes on a pile of spoilt ballot papers that are just counted as spoilt. The best thing to do if you are unhappy with the candidates is to vote for the outsider and deny the others your vote. You could always have a go yourself but that puts you up against those voters that will always vote Labour no matter what. 

I thought about spoiling my paper but as you say all it does is count as a spoilt paper. There are 5 candidates on my voting slip Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative, Green or UKIP so it is a matter of making the most of what you have or not voting, it is a pity there isn't an Independent candidate on the ballot sheet.

Edited by iansheff

21 minutes ago, iansheff said:

There are 5 candidates on my voting slip Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative, Green or UKIP so it is a matter of making the most of what you have or not voting, it is a pity there isn't an Independent candidate on the ballot sheet.

I agree and to be honest I think all candidates for local elections should be independent. Its time the antiquated system of party political local government is ended.

Met these folk at the duck race in Endcliffe Park yesterday - regardless of your personal politics it's worth a read if you're interested in decisions being made by more than a few councillors handpicked by ruling party.

https://www.itsoursheffield.co.uk/petition/

1 hour ago, apelike said:

I agree and to be honest I think all candidates for local elections should be independent. Its time the antiquated system of party political local government is ended.

I also think all the candidates should be local to the area, on my ballot paper 2 are from S12, 2 are from S20 and the last one is from Deepcar.

1 hour ago, apelike said:

Would that candidate be an Independent Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative, Green,  UKIP,  BNP or other unknown brand?

Do they have independent values or philosophy or religious doctrine or maybe they are convinced that only they are right?

Will they belong to the Independent party or group in that Council.

At least a candidate who is associated with Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative or Green or UKIP has responsibilities associated with that party and can't stray too far away from those values.(usually)

Independents often have their own agenda or single issue and all too frequently hold Councils to ransom over it.

In a Council election I do not know enough about the candidate and how they will vote on specific matters so I rely on the philosophy of the Party and that Party's Local Governments policies.

There are numerous examples of candidates in Sheffield who have stood as candidates for more than one party/ or as independents. 

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

I also think all the candidates should be local to the area, on my ballot paper 2 are from S12, 2 are from S20 and the last one is from Deepcar.

How will that work if there's no-one local who wants to stand in a particular area?  Or the case where the local party considers someone outside the area a better candidate? Would you prefer to have someone stand who is not the best candidate for that area?

1 hour ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Would that candidate be an Independent Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative, Green,  UKIP,  BNP or other unknown brand?

By independent I mean no affiliated to any political party.

Do they have independent values or philosophy or religious doctrine or maybe they are convinced that only they are right?

Who know, that is what is so good about democracy.

Will they belong to the Independent party or group in that Council.

See first line in post.

At least a candidate who is associated with Labour, Lib Dem, Conservative or Green or UKIP has responsibilities associated with that party and can't stray too far away from those values.(usually)

Straying away from a political party line can be a good thing, just look whats happening in Westminster for a clue as to how the party machine normally works. Others in the same party are expected to vote the same and follow the party line. We have a main government that is elected to rule the country according to their political taste, and then have a local councils of any political persuasion who are not empowered to anything to change those policies but try and yet try and run their council according to their party politics.

Independents often have their own agenda or single issue and all too frequently hold Councils to ransom over it.

That is only usually the case where other political party candidates are members, now how would that work if all were independent.

In a Council election I do not know enough about the candidate and how they will vote on specific matters so I rely on the philosophy of the Party and that Party's Local Governments policies.

But that then goes against the idea that we elect the person and not the party.  Its up to the candidate to put forward a compelling reason on why you should vote for them and not just because they belong to a political party.

There are numerous examples of candidates in Sheffield who have stood as candidates for more than one party/ or as independents. 

Yes I know, what I am saying is that they all should be independent and hold no political affiliation with any political party. I would think that those that are for instance Labour councillors are also members of the Labour party.

11 hours ago, apelike said:

you mean something like this:

https://www.flatpackdemocracy.co.uk/

in which case, the solution is in our hands 

antiquated or not there are advantages to having political parties active in local government, though to be effective people need to stop treating local elections as an excuse to kick the government, local parties need the freedom to put together manifestos which while following the parties tenets can be refined to suit local circumstances and finally there needs to be a devolution of power from central to local government. 

Oh I don't know.    There's satisfaction in writing  'All a load of <removed> on it' 😃

Edited by nikki-red