Local elections 2 May 2019

A couple of questions....

According to the Sheffield City Council website, my ward currently has three councillors however it states that only one candidate is to be elected at the forthcoming election - why is this and if this candidate were to be elected, what would happen to the other two? 

Secondly, we have had no campaigning materials through the door yet and when I search online for the candidates standing for election, at least one does not seem to appear anywhere online and the others just list their contact details - where can I find out more about their policies etc. Even looking on the party's website does not seem to elicit any further information. 

Appreciate there are far bigger politicial issues going on at the minute but there just seems to be a lack of information about the local elections. 

I looked at my local council  wards a couple of weeks ago but there was only a couple of candidates, Lib and Con which I thought was strange so I looked again last week and now their all there, lib, con, indy, lab and ukip. Only had one flyer through which was a tory one but the poster absconded before I could take him/her to task.

Strange we've not heard from the libs yet as they usually post one to inform me it's a waste of time voting for anyone else as it's a 2 horse race here all the time between libs and cons which does wind me up a bit, LOL.

We have had two flyers through the door both from the greens, and none others, but the second one was already too late for anyone who voted by post, as we did.

There is normally a four year cycle. Each year one of your three councillors come up for re-election, and on the fourth year there's no voting. So each councillor has a four-year term.

Occasionally after boundary changes or the like,  all three seats come up for voting, and the winner with the fewest votes only gets a 1 year term, the next 2 years, and the top 3 - plus the "fallow" year.

This means that the political make up of the council changes gradually.

in my view we need a change of politics in sheffield,sick and tired of the moaning and groaning from the labour,who blame everyone apart from themselves for all the citys problems

Edited by bassett one
changing a word

I've already voted by post; deliberately and knowingly "spoiled" my ballot paper having read the flyers from the various candidates.  Enough said!

lets  kick this rubbish out of our city  Labour  are ruining sheffield fact 

1 leaflet from Labour & 4, (yes four), from the Greens, (2 leaflets & 2 hand delivered letters, addressed to my wife & I, although delivered to next door neighbour!).  The letters were exactly the same literature as the leaflets? 

Still both Lab & the Greens can rest assured I'm doing my bit to save the environment.  They've all gone in the paper bin. 

20 hours ago, dave_the_m said:

There is normally a four year cycle. Each year one of your three councillors come up for re-election, and on the fourth year there's no voting. So each councillor has a four-year term.

Occasionally after boundary changes or the like,  all three seats come up for voting, and the winner with the fewest votes only gets a 1 year term, the next 2 years, and the top 3 - plus the "fallow" year.

This means that the political make up of the council changes gradually.

The ward boundaries were indeed changed 2/3 years ago, which meant the four-year cycle was suspended and a full council elected.

But in the subsequent years the new incumbent gets to serve a full term, unless the boundaries change again.

What is the point of voting?   They promise you everything until elected and then ignore all their promises.

Spoil you ballot then.   They will still have to read it.    The more people do that, the more they will chance their behaviour. 

Simply not voting at all achieves nothing.

If you really hate all of them, go and stand for councillor yourself and be the difference which you are seemingly screaming out for.

Edited by ECCOnoob

Unfortunately spoiling the ballot paper also achieves nothing and just goes on a pile of spoilt ballot papers that are just counted as spoilt. The best thing to do if you are unhappy with the candidates is to vote for the outsider and deny the others your vote. You could always have a go yourself but that puts you up against those voters that will always vote Labour no matter what.