Can my neighbour alter my security light ?

1 minute ago, hauxwell said:

I can’t see what the problem is if the light isn’t shining on your neighbours house, I thought it was shining on his window at first.  It’s a good job he hasn’t got a street light that shines through his bedroom window as I have. It’s in front of my garden, if you can call it a garden, three steps from the front door and you are on the pavement.  It was annoying at first but I’m used to it now. I park my car at the top of the drive near the street light for security reasons.  I wonder what would happen if I went to the council and asked them to move the street light because of light pollution? not that I would. I’m happy with it being there now. 

One poster on here said he would like to see it played out in court just to see you lose. If it went to court which I don’t think for one minute it will, your neighbour is going to look silly if asked if your light illuminates through his window and he says no, then asked if it shines on his door and garden and he says no again, I think the judge will chase him because it isn’t affecting his property at all.  

If you are a woman living on your own and you feel secure with the light on all night then leave it on. 

Assuming you believe what they say is true.

Why do you think the neighbour would ask for the light to be tilted if it wasn't shining through their window? Perhaps the OP is telling porkies when claim it isn't causing a nuisance.. 

1 minute ago, Robin-H said:

Assuming you believe what they say is true.

Why do you think the neighbour would ask for the light to be tilted if it wasn't shining through their window? Perhaps the OP is telling porkies when claim it isn't causing a nuisance.. 

But what if Pattricia isn’t telling porkies and the light isn’t even shining on his property. 

1 minute ago, hauxwell said:

But what if Pattricia isn’t telling porkies and the light isn’t even shining on his property. 

Possible, but it seems weird that a neighbour would go to the effort to lie about a nonexistent problem. 

Claiming that there isn't a problem on the other hand... 

Either way, I think a reasonable person would agree to tilt their light down. 

7 minutes ago, Robin-H said:

Possible, but it seems weird that a neighbour would go to the effort to lie about a nonexistent problem. 

Claiming that there isn't a problem on the other hand... 

Either way, I think a reasonable person would agree to tilt their light down. 

yes I agree with you, if the light is shining on the neighbours window.  

21 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

It’s a good job he hasn’t got a street light that shines through his bedroom window as I have.

I suspect that you don't. All street lights are positioned in a horizontal plane to illuminate the ground below it. You may see some of the light as well as reflected light from some of the objects it illuminates but it isn't shining through your bedroom window.

As said before, any security light which shines directly into a private areas of a neighbour's home is classed as light pollution and can be dealt with by the council's Environmental Services on the number I gave above.

Further posts have now been removed. You were warned previously in the thread what would happen. Closing.