Can my neighbour alter my security light ?

22 hours ago, pattricia said:

Because it’s to detect intruders  not snails, foxes and cats !

It’s me who needs to take legal advice not him !

It's not to detect anything, it stays on.  All it's detecting is that it's dark.

It sounds like you need to compromise a little and tilt it down, unless you think you need to be able to see into his living room for intruders then you won't lose anything will you.

If you want dusk to Dawn lights then fit them on the perimeter facing inward towards your own house. 

Firstly the fact that your neighbour has blinds is irrelevant. You mentioned they were venetian. They don't block all light. 

If you were my neighbour pointing a light through my front window I wouldn't just come and tilt it down, I'd be taking a lump-hammer to it. 

YOU are being antisocial. 

2 minutes ago, Resident said:

If you want dusk to Dawn lights then fit them on the perimeter facing inward towards your own house. 

Firstly the fact that your neighbour has blinds is irrelevant. You mentioned they were venetian. They don't block all light. 

If you were my neighbour pointing a light through my front window I wouldn't just come and tilt it down, I'd be taking a lump-hammer to it. 

YOU are being antisocial. 

If you took a hammer to it you'd be inflicting criminal damage, which would warrant police attention.

46 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

It's not to detect anything, it stays on.  All it's detecting is that it's dark.

It sounds like you need to compromise a little and tilt it down, unless you think you need to be able to see into his living room for intruders then you won't lose anything will you.

Some good advice been given Cyclone, the solution is , common sense..For some reason Trish is adamant she won"t change her stance.

Strange because she"s a very polite and reasonable poster.

4 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Yes I agree, I have similar. I was just making the point that two wrongs don't make a right. The neighbour may be annoyed but that does not give them the right to tresspass and tamper with private property. That doesn't mean that the OP should disregard their concern though, they should make adjustments, which no matter how long the drive is, I cannot understand why the light has to illuminate across the road. They should then set up CCTV to have the twin benefit of adding to security and capturing the neighbour should any proof of further tresspass be needed later on.

I know what you mean, however it costs nothing to be considerate, I've been tackling our large tree today, it's having its yearly pruning however whilst having a break from being 20-30ft up it, lopping off branches, my new Niebhour nextdoor has laid herself out to sunbathe, so I'll finish it tomorrow and leave her to enjoy her peace.

half the time disputes are over very small annoyances, if any one my Niebhours came and moved lights on my property because it was interfering with there property, I'd thank them and think nothing of it, if someone came and used a lump hammer, well it would have to have a 3 metre  handle and a set of steps.

as always 2 sides to every story, and stubbornness never helps.

If the O/P is insistent on lighting up her property, maybe  buy lights that point towards rather than away from the house and  you can get barn doors to control the spread of light.

Pattricia - back in post #46 you were rather rude yourself:

Thank goodness we have someone with brains on this forum !

Most contributors have given you sound advice, some of them taking the time to find useful links with information for you and yet you disparage them simply because they don’t agree with you. I had wondered if your intractable stance on this was in part due to the fact that it was your son who has fitted the lights; your comment seems to confirm that. 

Hopefully you will come to some compromise over this but it is not likely to happen until you calm down and begin to look at it from your neighbour’s viewpoint.  All the man wants is the quiet enjoyment of his own home. 

Honestly, just reading some of you makes me ashamed of this forum. Ms P is a very long standing SF member, of a respectfully unspecified vintage, who came to ask a question. 

If you can't use a civil tone towards a lady just learn how to keep it in your trousers and say nothing instead of embarrassing yourself.

@pattricia you've got plenty of advice above so I wouldn't offer any more beyond saying that I'd keep the light and adjust it a bit, even if it's just for an easy life with the neighbours.

Regards.

Edited by Tony

1 minute ago, Tony said:

Honestly, just reading some of you makes me ashamed of this forum. Ms P is a very long standing SF member, of a respectfully unspecified vintage, who came to ask a question. 

If you can't use a civil tone towards a lady just learn how to keep it in your trousers and say nothing instead of embarrassing yourself.

@pattricia you've got plenty of advice above so I wouldn't offer any more beyond saying that I'd keep the light and adjust it a bit, even if it's just for an easy life with the neighbours.

Regards.

Thanks Tony.

3 minutes ago, Tony said:

Regards.

Roughly what I said at the top of page 5, but thanks for kinda backing me up @Tony.

My advice would be a combination of all of the following:

- Security lighting on motion sensor

- Burglar alarm (professionally maintained)

- CCTV with night vision, motion alarm and remote back up

- Timer lights indoors

- Anti snap, anti bump locks to all doors

20 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

My advice would be a combination of all of the following:

- Security lighting on motion sensor

- Burglar alarm (professionally maintained)

- CCTV with night vision, motion alarm and remote back up

- Timer lights indoors

- Anti snap, anti bump locks to all doors

My her lads going to be busy my offer stands with the lights 

Pattricia, bare in mind if you area is getting targeted by burglars having neighbours in favour can count for a lot. 

A community / street that looks out for each other is a real bonus, have him onside rather than alienated. That said his trespassing may need nipping in the bud if he repeats it.