Can my neighbour alter my security light ?

Probably down to poor design / cheap all in one fitting , security floodlights need to be at high level pointing down to flood large areas ..not halfway up a property pointing outwards ...

Pattricia - here is South Yorkshire Police Crime Prevention website.  

It contains information about preventing burglaries. One of the points they make is to ask neighbours to keep a watch on your property, particularly when away from home. As this man lives right across the road from you it would be expedient to be on good terms rather than antagonise him. It could be far more useful in preventing a burglary than lights. They also mention Neighbourhood Watch. As you have had several burglaries in your street, perhaps you could set one up? 

13 minutes ago, Jomie said:

Pattricia - here is South Yorkshire Police Crime Prevention website.  

It contains information about preventing burglaries. One of the points they make is to ask neighbours to keep a watch on your property, particularly when away from home. As this man lives right across the road from you it would be expedient to be on good terms rather than antagonise him. It could be far more useful in preventing a burglary than lights. They also mention Neighbourhood Watch. As you have had several burglaries in your street, perhaps you could set one up? 

Good information, I was going to say  the same.  If Pattricia  lives alone she should tell her neighbour her concerns about the burglaries.  Also if the problem can be sorted ask the neighbour to keep an eye on her house, and try and start a neighbourhood watch.

Why would any one want to light their property up from dawn to dusk, a bit daft if you ask me. Much better the motion sensor light which comes on when billy bobbins walks up to the property, much more likely to scare him off.

As for a neighbour who would choose to illuminate my house from dawn till dusk, I would have a quiet word to try to resolve the matter, which is just common sense. If the light pollution persisted I would notify the Council and ask for their assistance in getting a reasonable result to my complaint. As it is a civil matter the Police would not take action of any kind I would guess. Probably too busy clearing London of the great unwashed any way.

Angel1.

5 hours ago, Jomie said:

That is correct but the neighbour has been quite reasonable in that he has not asked for the lights to be removed, merely that they be repositioned. The facts that he sleeps in the rear bedroom, has Venetian blinds and that other folk on the street have had lights installed are all irrelevant.  For the sake of common courtesy, changing the angle of the lights or using motion sensor fittings would be the better option.  

I was referring to his tresspassing and interfering with the OP's private property.

I think your son has fitted the wrong lamp, he should have fitted a PIR sensor light that only comes on by movement, if your light is on continually  you wouldn't  have a clue if someone was walking up your garden path. I've  been known to get out of bed to check why my light has come on just to find it was a cat strolling  about.

I don't  blame your neighbour for being annoyed, it's  not necessary  to have it on all through the night.

The light needs to be focused on the property it is protecting and should be on a sensor. I’d be annoyed if a light was continuously beaming at my house from dusk till dawn.

That said I’d also be furious if a neighbour went on my property without permission so Patricia you need to be firm about that. But get somebody to fit the correct security solutions.

4 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

I was referring to his tresspassing and interfering with the OP's private property.

Thank goodness we have someone with brains on this forum ! 

Quote Pattricia:

Thank goodness we have someone with brains on this forum ! 

Pattricia - you are just cherry picking the replies in order to find someone who agrees with you. I agreed with you in post #10 but it doesn’t alter the fact that you and your son instigated this problem and that it is very easily remedied.  

In answer to your original question, your neighbour can come onto your property and adjust the light that is annoying him because you allege that he has already done so. The  question is therefore answered. You really ought to have asked whether his (alleged) action is legal. You don’t need forum members to tell you that it is not but he did no criminal damage and his intention was not malicious.  He (allegedly) did it because your lights are causing pollution and are bothering him, and because you refused to comply with his reasonable request to adjust the angle of them. Are you going to prosecute him for trespass? You will need proof BTW. 

Your previous post indicates that you are deliberately evading the problem, which is the placement and type of lights.  If you have any sense at all you will deal with this in an amicable and respectful manner. If your son is a qualified electrician he should be able to remedy the problem easily. If not, perhaps you could consider employing one to do the job properly.

Edited by Jomie

12 hours ago, WiseOwl182 said:

However the O/P seems happy to interfere with someone  else's property by lightning it up, even if they have blinds they may just not want someone lighting up their  property, and may see it as increasing thier risk of being broken into.

we have motion sensor floodlights that are set to come on for 50sec, our view is anything set to permanently illuminate over night, is just giving an intruder a light  to work by.

also  our CCTV records in night vision,  all our devices, lights and CCTV only cover our property with no over spill.

I can see why the O/P wants these measures, but I can also see why they maybe causing an issue too.

Whilst I can agree that dusk-to-dawn lighting is not the best idea and that motion sensitive PIRs are a much better idea, from both a deterrent and  power-saving point of view, have any of you slating the OP considered that the neighbour may be at fault here?

None of us have on-site knowledge, so everyone is jumping to conclusions - me included.

My advice to @pattricia is to get a security lighting engineer and have the lights converted, and obtain guidance as to the correct placement and coverage of the lights.

Just my two-pennorth.

41 minutes ago, steve68 said:

However the O/P seems happy to interfere with someone  else's property by lightning it up, even if they have blinds they may just not want someone lighting up their  property, and may see it as increasing thier risk of being broken into.

we have motion sensor floodlights that are set to come on for 50sec, our view is anything set to permanently illuminate over night, is just giving an intruder a light  to work by.

also  our CCTV records in night vision,  all our devices, lights and CCTV only cover our property with no over spill.

I can see why the O/P wants these measures, but I can also see why they maybe causing an issue too.

Yes I agree, I have similar. I was just making the point that two wrongs don't make a right. The neighbour may be annoyed but that does not give them the right to tresspass and tamper with private property. That doesn't mean that the OP should disregard their concern though, they should make adjustments, which no matter how long the drive is, I cannot understand why the light has to illuminate across the road. They should then set up CCTV to have the twin benefit of adding to security and capturing the neighbour should any proof of further tresspass be needed later on.

Edited by WiseOwl182