Can my neighbour alter my security light ?

3 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

I'm trying to work this bit out. I fitted one on mother's house. It lights the drive, maybe the pavement (which isn't very wide), but fails to go right across the road, down the neighbours drive and onto his window - which due to the layout of the street is at a lower elevation anyway. So it's either at a wrong angle, super super bright at a wrong angle or the neighbour is being hyper sensitive and doesn't like looking at a bright light when hes looking at your house, but the tilting of the light won't make that much difference.

He’s being hypersensitive.

23 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

Set up CCTV and signs saying "Private property: No trespassing". 

Good idea !

2 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Because it’s to detect intruders  not snails, foxes and cats !

But intruders are only intruders if they are on your property. Why do you need to light up across the road? If it was me, I'd angle it in the dark to ensure it lit up my property and not across the road. If the neighbour still tampered with it, I'd then warn them not to again and remind them that trespassing is an offence, followed with the signs and CCTV.

In 2006 the law was changed to include ‘light nuisance’ as a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

Be careful not to allow excessive bright light to spill over into neighbours properties, especially not into their windows, as this will lead to complaints.

Theres more info in this PDF.

file:///C:/Users/nikki/Downloads/A4LightPollutionandSecurityLighting.pdf

This is probably a better link...

https://www.environmental-protection.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Light-Pollution.pdf

Edited by nikki-red

2 minutes ago, pattricia said:

He’s being hypersensitive.

Good idea !

So if it doesn't shine on his property, you can try the council, I doubt the police would get involved.

2 minutes ago, tinfoilhat said:

So if it doesn't shine on his property, you can try the council, I doubt the police would get involved.

As we have had four burglaries on this road this year I feel safer with a burglar alarm and these security lights.

Nikki"s  post sums it for me, tilt it down a bit and show a bit of consideration, not worth falling out over, is it.

7 minutes ago, WiseOwl182 said:

But intruders are only intruders if they are on your property. Why do you need to light up across the road? If it was me, I'd angle it in the dark to ensure it lit up my property and not across the road. If the neighbour still tampered with it, I'd then warn them not to again and remind them that trespassing is an offence, followed with the signs and CCTV.

Because I have a long front drive with a gate at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Padders said:

Nikki"s  post sums it for me, tilt it down a bit and show a bit of consideration, not worth falling out over, is it.

As we have had four burglaries on this road this year I think I would rather fall out with him !

13 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Because it’s to detect intruders  not snails, foxes and cats !

So why does it need to be on from dusk 'till dawn?

Wouldn't a motion sensing light be a better option?

Because then you can actually tell when someone is near your property as the light will activate, instead of lighting it up for people to see where they're stepping as they try your windows.

Just now, Pyrotequila said:

So why does it need to be on from dusk 'till dawn?

Wouldn't a motion sensing light be a better option?

Because then you can actually tell when someone is near your property as the light will activate, instead of lighting it up for people to see where they're stepping as they try your windows.2t

Agree, as I"ve said, I have one of those..  if it comes on I go outside and check round.. I can override it and have it on permanently, but I don"t.

24 minutes ago, pattricia said:

As we have had four burglaries on this road this year I think I would rather fall out with him !

The trouble is its not just a case of falling out with someone, it can actually be classed as light pollution. Especially if the light is bright enough to shine all the way down your long drive and across a street.

As a side, having a bright light on all night just allows potential intruders to see where the shadows/dark spots are.

From the second link I posted earlier...

What is Light Pollution?

Light pollution is probably best described as artificial light that is allowed to illuminate, or intrude upon, areas not intended to be lit.

Intrusive Light

This is the intrusion of over bright or poorly directed lights onto neighbouring property, which affect the neighbours’ right to enjoy their own property

Edited by nikki-red

5 minutes ago, pattricia said:

And hes going to fall out with you, and it might be you that gets the letter through the door.

Burglar alarms are the greatest deterrent. There's a house near me and he's lit his up like Crystal palace. The whole front is quite brilliantly illuminated all night as far as I can work out, so I can see the burglar alarm on his house very clearly.  Light doesnt spill from his property despite him using enough lights that you can probably see it from space. Id bet diamonds hes been burgled and thats why hes done it. If you've got a very bright light pointing from the house, is burglar bill going to see it the burglar alarm or will the light blind him?

If you want your property lit, I'd reposition the light. It's not your remit to light the street.

No it's not a police matter, or shouldn't be, you need to have a friendly chat with your neighbour and reach a compromise. Tell him your fears so he understands, but if you have a long drive I really think you need to show a bit of empathy. The sensor part of a security light is or can usually be set different to the actual light arc.

I'm not surprised he's miffed about it, I would be as well.