Best curry house in Sheffield?

On 06/06/2021 at 17:44, Zinger549 said:

@FIRETHORN1 You can still get a  good Curry on Brick Lane. There is a lot of restaurants so you get staff standing outside trying to get you inside (free wine, discount ect). Worth having a look online at  Timeout and other sites to see the recommended ones.  The Famous Curry Bazar and Bengal Village are nice and seem to get good reviews.  If you don't like any of the Curry places there is always the Beigel shops.

Sweet and spicy was one of the best on Brick Lane and sadly closed. Their kahari, dhasak and chicken curries were lovely. I used to go on a Sunday after a night out, then the pub's in Spitalfields after!

Article on closing here: https://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/03/27/so-long-sweet-spicy/

On 15/07/2021 at 11:32, S1 1DJ said:

Sweet and spicy was one of the best on Brick Lane and sadly closed. Their kahari, dhasak and chicken curries were lovely. I used to go on a Sunday after a night out, then the pub's in Spitalfields after!

Article on closing here: https://spitalfieldslife.com/2013/03/27/so-long-sweet-spicy/

Never went to that one. If you want a good and cheap curry in London the Indian YMCA near Fitzroy Sq is good.  £8 for lunch or dinner and it's a self serve buffet.

On 16/07/2021 at 12:36, Zinger549 said:

Never went to that one. If you want a good and cheap curry in London the Indian YMCA near Fitzroy Sq is good.  £8 for lunch or dinner and it's a self serve buffet.

Yep, near BT Tower! Work over there from time to time, but not been in.

Has anyone visited the 400 degrees C curry place in town centre, its on Castle Square opposite The Bankers Draft? I've looked it up on TripAdvisor,  but there seems to be lots of great reviews from people who've only done 1 review which makes me slightly suspicious...

I have been several times and the food is fantastic. Having been to India, it is the most authentic curt I have tasted in Sheffield. The lamb bhuna is incredible and the spices within the dishes is exhilarating. I would highly recommend it and they have an extensive vegan menu as well which pleased my other half as we have struggled to  find too many vegan dishes before in a curry house. The staff were helpful in choosing dishes with us. One other thing, they operate a scheme where you can donate to buy a meal for the homeless(£3.50). A lovely touch. Go and enjoy a different curry experience

I've heard that Aagrah in Leopold Square has closed although a new Indian restaurant has taken its place...

Finally made it to 400 degrees C in the town centre last weekend. It was a little cold in there, but the staff were very welcoming and the food was fantastic. 

We chose a selection of different curries to share and sides with rice and paratha.  There was a lot of food , but we polished off the lot. Really nice spicing where you could taste the difference between dishes and the different flavours,  the chef seems to know their stuff.

It closes fairly early for a curry house (think, the kitchen closes at 9pm during the week , 10pm at the weekend) so don't think this place will attract the drunken pub crowd, more of a civilised place to enjoy food after a couple of pints elsewhere,  although they are licensed so you could go straight here. I can definitely recommend this place to everyone.

7 minutes ago, bungleboy69 said:

Finally made it to 400 degrees C in the town centre last weekend. It was a little cold in there, but the staff were very welcoming and the food was fantastic. 

We chose a selection of different curries to share and sides with rice and paratha.  There was a lot of food , but we polished off the lot. Really nice spicing where you could taste the difference between dishes and the different flavours,  the chef seems to know their stuff.

It closes fairly early for a curry house (think, the kitchen closes at 9pm during the week , 10pm at the weekend) so don't think this place will attract the drunken pub crowd, more of a civilised place to enjoy food after a couple of pints elsewhere,  although they are licensed so you could go straight here. I can definitely recommend this place to everyone.

A new Indian street food restaurant/takeaway has opened at the bottom of Duke Street called 5Tara (Where the greasy spoon cafe used to be)

The food is really nice https://deliveroo.co.uk/menu/sheffield/park-hill/overnight-sheffield?day=today&geohash=gcrp84t1wuh1&time=ASAP

My favourite Indian restaurant is Mowgli on Eccy Road.....so nice

https://www.mowglistreetfood.com/book-for-sheffield/

I'll give 5tara a try next weekend, the food sounds very nice indeed. 

Already had my curry fill for this weekend at Hungry Buddha in the market, excellent as always and cracking value . 

I've been to Mowgli on Eccy Road when it first opened. I thought it was OK, more style over substance imo. The decor was lovely and a nice ambience, but for the me the food was fairly average.  Maybe I should give another go...

400 degrees c was awful they smash up your popadoms into a hundred pieces my fish starter had to go back it was wafer thin and burnt to a crisp the my chicken biriyani was tasteless and made with cheap drumstick meat so sorry peeps it was not an enjoyable meal at all.

Went to 5tara on Duke Street tonight for dinner. The food was absolutely fabulous.  Worlds apart from your usual Indian restaurant.  They've got the puri balls that you pour liquids into and then eat whole... wow proper taste sensation.  My missus had a potato burger which was lovely, I went for a tofu curry with rice. The curry had a lovely smoky flavour and had a lovely spicy kick. Its not posh at all but very friendly. Reminded me of The Kashmir on Spital Hill with its cafe type simplicity. This place is open all day till around 10pm. They are apparently planning to start doing Indian breakfasts from 6.30am. If I lived any nearer to Park Hill I'd definitely be a regular here and probably 3 stone heavier... 

Went to see Gary Delaney tonight in Chesterfield.  Thought we'd go for a curry afterwards.  Tried Mint Leaf in Dronfield, was told we'd have to order and be gone in 30 mins so declined. Then tried Ayeshas in Dronfield,  was told already closed. So we decided to go to Shapla in Sheffield as we know its definitely open late.  In the back of my mind I'm thinking, jeez not been for almost 20 years and it's not the best...

But you know what, I was pleasantly surprised.  I'd had only 2 pints at the gig so was pretty much sober and the food and service was spot on. Was surprisingly quiet, when I used to go back in the day it'd be heaving at midnight but mid month and things have changed so... 

I'd definitely go back for a curry. Not the best in the world but far from the worst for a late night post gig bit of snap.