Best curry house in Sheffield?

14 hours ago, DerbyTup said:

Have you ever been?  Seriously?  I wonder if you are getting confused with a copycat "Akbar's" that opened (and closed again pretty quickly) on West Street a few years ago.

I appreciate "individual taste" is well...a very individual thing.  However, I've taken large groups to various restaurants over the years.  We just about booked out all the tables at Akbar's in Manchester a couple of years ago when we had a conference there - and between Christmas and New Year we usually celebrate a family birthday at Akbar's Rotherham.  Without exception, everyone thought the food was really good and wants to go back again every time.  And that's quite a wide range of folks I'm talking about, from professional clients to Uncle Herbert and Aunty Gertie.  

I spend quite a bit of time in London and enjoy visiting some of the Indian places down there.  From the cheap eateries of Brick Lane to places like Zaika on Kensington High Street, or The Painted Heron in Chelsea.  It's an ever-changing scene down there with new places popping up all the time and the range of different places and different types of Indian food is amazing.  There are some of these that I'd put firmly ahead of Akbar's, quite a few actually.  But, down there you're paying £70 a head maybe, it's not a fair comparison.  Even comparing Akbar's with those establishments I'd still say it's very good and excellent value for money.  But...each to their own.  I'd love to know which places you prefer instead, in this area and what your range of reference points are?

I've been three times, first by choice and others on get togethers,  the non booking policy means your herded like cattle into the bar for the overpriced drinks while milling about hoping for a table, I though the food was average and the service rushed - like they couldn't get you out quick enough to get the next lot in, not a good night out in my book.

I'd say Prithiraj, Ashoka, Zara's and even Shapla are superior in food and all round experience, I will not got to Akbars again.

Yesterday we went to Maveli in Glossop Rd, and we had some great curry.    

Vegetarian starters ( apparently a speciality of South-Indian cuisine)  - chick peas spicy salad and cauliflower croquettes-  and prawn biryani/ bassa soup. 

All with nans, pilau rice, beer and mango lassi. 

And ....  did not feel sick afterwards , in fact one of te best indian meals have had in Sheffield.   

That corner of Glossop Road, with Maveli and HuiWei in the same building,  must have something special.

MV

Edited by MaxVinella

20 hours ago, MaxVinella said:

Yesterday we went to Maveli in Glossop Rd, and we had some great curry.    

Vegetarian starters ( apparently a speciality of South-Indian cuisine)  - chick peas spicy salad and cauliflower croquettes-  and prawn biryani/ bassa soup. 

All with nans, pilau rice, beer and mango lassi. 

And ....  did not feel sick afterwards , in fact one of te best indian meals have had in Sheffield.   

That corner of Glossop Road, with Maveli and HuiWei in the same building,  must have something special.

MV

The fact that you see so many people of south Indian heritage in Maveli speaks volumes...the warm chick pea salad is a favourite of mine.

Kashmiri Aroma at Woodseats always seemed to do decent takeaways but has been closed after the fire a few months ago.

Does anyone know if it is planned to reopen?

indus attercliffe road, stood the test of time lovely food lovely staff never had a bad one in 30 years 

4 hours ago, ACE WASTE said:

indus attercliffe road, stood the test of time lovely food lovely staff never had a bad one in 30 years 

Also try the other restaurant they own which is Café Indus on London road, the food is amazing and the staff are really nice.

I would disagree with you, Derby Tup,  about being able to get a good curry in Brick Lane these days.

I've lived and worked in London since 1979 and Brick Lane was always the "go-to" place for a blinding curry, back then, and well into the late 80's.  The curry houses were all Indian "caffs", rather than restaurants. None of them served alcohol, or even soft drinks. You drank tap-water, or you didn't drink at all! They all had rickety formica tables and plastic chairs  and the food was served on those cheap, thick white plates and dishes. If you asked for the "pickle tray" they brought you a jar of lime pickle and a jar of mango chutney, with a spoon in each jar - and a saucer of chopped raw onion with a bit of chopped fresh coriander sprinkled on top. The naan breads and chapatis were puffy, blackened and blistered,  the parathas were light and flakey and slightly greasy.... Aaah - those were the days!

Brick Lane is nowt like that these days. It was all "regenerated" in the late '90's/early noughties -  and has become ever more touristy and middle-class ever since. There are just as many - if not even more - restaurants up and  down Brick Lane these days, but they all have liveried waiters, they all serve alcohol, they all have white linen table cloths and napkins, fancy crockery and matching cutlery. And all of them are serving up very similar, very bland and very  mediocre food, which is not authentic at all, but adapted to cater to what their customers are asking for. 

Understandably, the  Business people who run Brick Lane these days are targeting the people who can afford to spend money..... but I really do miss the old Brick Lane and having a proper, authentic curry.... at about a tenth of the price!

Has anyone had a takeaway curry from Mangla recently? I used to go regularly before Covid lockdowns to eat in after a couple of beers.

Just considering having a takeaway this weekend. I've heard that its changed hands recently and the food isn't anything like as good...

The Mangla 10 years ago was excellent. The Kashmir went down the pan, the Mangla just lost the plot. Next time I'm up in the north I may give it an try and report back!

On 30/01/2021 at 15:54, sedith said:

The Mangla 10 years ago was excellent. The Kashmir went down the pan, the Mangla just lost the plot. Next time I'm up in the north I may give it an try and report 

I really miss The Kashmir. Bishareth was a great guy, always friendly. The thalis were fantastic,  really tasty and you never left hungry.  The place had a proper old school feel about it which I loved.

I dont feel it went down the pan, the curry scene in Sheffield changed. I seem to remember Aagrah arriving in town, Akbars appearing in Rotherham and peoples expectations changed. The Kashmir did try to evolve, the menu changed a bit and the decor was freshened up, but it was never gonna keep up with the glamorous curry palaces opening up not too far away.

20 hours ago, bungleboy69 said:

I really miss The Kashmir. Bishareth was a great guy, always friendly. The thalis were fantastic,  really tasty and you never left hungry.  The place had a proper old school feel about it which I loved.

I dont feel it went down the pan, the curry scene in Sheffield changed. I seem to remember Aagrah arriving in town, Akbars appearing in Rotherham and peoples expectations changed. The Kashmir did try to evolve, the menu changed a bit and the decor was freshened up, but it was never gonna keep up with the glamorous curry palaces opening up not too far away.

I also have many happy memories of the Kashmir, more for Bshareth's philosophical debating skills than the food. I remember when he did the two thali challenge, at which I failed miserably. He refused to get a tandoor installed and would finish his very heavy 'naan' breads using a blow torch! The Mangla was fine may years ago but became predictably poor and we stopped going.

I get all my takeaways/deliveries from Maveli now (they do a great Madras) but when pubs and restaurants re-open, I will be heading to Kelham Island followed by a 'traditional' curry at the 7 Spices...