Best curry house in Sheffield?

Being an Asian I am interested in knowing what non-Asians would class as the best curry house in Sheffield?

Some of the ones I regularly go to are 'Lahori Dhera' (on the Wicker) and there is a new one on Stanniforth road (Darnall) called 'Mirpuri Dhera' that do a buffet for about £10.

Both very nice, and coincidentally, both have the same owners.

Edited by Groose

I have been to Lahori Dhera a few times (and went often when it was Chaman). I liked Chaman, which did simpler food and appeared to be a good substitute for plain home cooking for many south asian students.

I have mixed feelings about Lahori Dhera, which offers some interesting menu items (gol gappay, haleem, karela dishes) and also has steak, fish etc on offer. The quality of the food has been variable, as has the service (one waiter, when asked about the what haleem was, said "I don't know, I wouldn't eat that s**t!"). The last time I went, we (three middle-aged white males) were not allowed to sit in the half-empty downstairs section and had to go upstairs to the 'family section'. Not sure why this was, but it made me feel uncomfortable and I have not been back since.

For good Indian/Pakistani food, I now trek over to Urban Choola. It's a long way, but is much friendlier and more reliable. I hear Kushi on Abbeydale Road is pretty good as well.

I have been to Lahori Dhera a few times (and went often when it was Chaman). I liked Chaman, which did simpler food and appeared to be a good substitute for plain home cooking for many south asian students.

I have mixed feelings about Lahori Dhera, which offers some interesting menu items (gol gappay, haleem, karela dishes) and also has steak, fish etc on offer. The quality of the food has been variable, as has the service (one waiter, when asked about the what haleem was, said "I don't know, I wouldn't eat that s**t!"). The last time I went, we (three middle-aged white males) were not allowed to sit in the half-empty downstairs section and had to go upstairs to the 'family section'. Not sure why this was, but it made me feel uncomfortable and I have not been back since.

For good Indian/Pakistani food, I now trek over to Urban Choola. It's a long way, but is much friendlier and more reliable. I hear Kushi on Abbeydale Road is pretty good as well.

Yes I agree - Chaman was a lot better! But there is definitely better variety now.

I will try Urban Choola next time I am eating out on London road.

I agree about Lahori Dhera. We loved Chaman, we felt welcomed, comfortable and ate there regularly. I was made to feel quite uncomfortable at Lahori Dhera, almost like I was not wanted in there, with funny looks and rude treatment from staff and patrons alike. My Mrs and I were the only white faces in there and I got the impression that this was 2 to many. Shame really as the food was nice.

Jewel on attercliffe is my favourite place for a curry at the moment, its more expensive but the service, quility and presentaion of food is brilliant.

I agree about Lahori Dhera. We loved Chaman, we felt welcomed, comfortable and ate there regularly. I was made to feel quite uncomfortable at Lahori Dhera, almost like I was not wanted in there, with funny looks and rude treatment from staff and patrons alike. My Mrs and I were the only white faces in there and I got the impression that this was 2 to many.

So it is not just me - that's almost a relief!

Kbz7 - why is Lahori Dhera so racist? I can understand them not wanting alcohol or drunks on the premises, but turning away ordinary customers is very odd.

I like Rajput at commonside. Or Buttlers on westbar

So it is not just me - that's almost a relief!

Kbz7 - why is Lahori Dhera so racist? I can understand them not wanting alcohol or drunks on the premises, but turning away ordinary customers is very odd.

I don't think they're racist - because the owners are the same people who ran Chaman grilled balti house. They even have an eastern european waitress there (the last time I went).

Whenever I go there mainly asian and white people there all the time. Don't see many other races there, but I don't think many other races enjoy asian food as much.

In regards to asking you to sit upstairs - maybe they thought you wanted to sit there? When I go, I ask to be seated upstairs and so do most other people I know lol. So I am assuming they thought they were offering you a better service by seating you upstairs. Might have just been a simple misunderstanding.

If the downstairs hall was half-empty, I am sure they wouldn't have minded if you asked to be seated downstairs instead. As generally, it's only the tables upstairs that are booked in advance.

----------------------

I have heard Butlers is good - but never been there myself.

I like Rajput at commonside. Or Buttlers on westbar

Rajput I like, good food and the BYO helps with the price!

I have never had a good experience with Buttlers since it moved. Service is good but the food is lacking something. Good variety on the pickle tray, decent portion sizes on the starters and mains, but just the quality that lets it down. Or maybe its the metalic taste you get from the balti dishes that I don't like!? I had a chicken and spinach balti last time I was in and it was full of a grit like substance, couldnt eat it.

If im eating round that end of town, I prefer 7 spices or Mangler

I don't think they're racist - because the owners are the same people who ran Chaman grilled balti house. They even have an eastern european waitress there (the last time I went).

Whenever I go there mainly asian and white people there all the time. Don't see many other races there, but I don't think many other races enjoy asian food as much.

In regards to asking you to sit upstairs - maybe they thought you wanted to sit there? When I go, I ask to be seated upstairs and so do most other people I know lol. So I am assuming they thought they were offering you a better service by seating you upstairs. Might have just been a simple misunderstanding.

If the downstairs hall was half-empty, I am sure they wouldn't have minded if you asked to be seated downstairs instead. As generally, it's only the tables upstairs that are booked in advance.

As you say, it might just be a misunderstanding but it was off-putting all the same. Chaman always had a good mix of races in, and we sat where we liked - upstairs if in a large group or downstairs if only 2 or 3 of us. Lahori did seem to be less multi-cultural on the 4 or 5 occasions we visited, so perhaps they need to work on customer relations?

Chaman food was better in my honest opinion, so that's maybe why they have lost some of their old customers but picked up a few new ones.

Yeah they could do I suppose - try out Mirpuri dhera (which has food influenced more from the Kashmir region). At £10 a head, its very good value for money considering the variety they have.

One thing however I didn't like was that they charge for water!! :s

Chaman food was better in my honest opinion, so that's maybe why they have lost some of their old customers but picked up a few new ones.

Yeah they could do I suppose - try out Mirpuri dhera (which has food influenced more from the Kashmir region). At £10 a head, its very good value for money considering the variety they have.

One thing however I didn't like was that they charge for water!! :s

I really miss the simple chicken and mushroom curry from Chaman. An innocent name but it was usually very, very spicy! And the naan breads...

Loved Cafe Guru. A shame it closed.

I like Ambar on Ecclesall Road, near Endcliffe Park and Ranmoor Tandoori.

Oh, and Kashmiri Aroma. Superb curry fish.