Statues in Fitzalan Square

I believe that the statue of King Edward VII is still in Fitzalan Square. But wasn't there a statue there years ago which was moved to another location? Or is my memory playing tricks and it was a different location?

2 hours ago, GOLDEN OLDIE said:

I believe that the statue of King Edward VII is still in Fitzalan Square. But wasn't there a statue there years ago which was moved to another location? Or is my memory playing tricks and it was a different location?

I seem to remember a statue being relocated but for the life of me I can't remember where it was or where it was relocated to, no help at all really, hopefully someone will come along and tell us. 

I believe it was the statue of Queen Victoria which stood at Moorhead and was moved to Endcliffe Park when they altered Moorhead and demolished the public toilets there.

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I believe it was the statue of Queen Victoria which stood at Moorhead and was moved to Endcliffe Park when they altered Moorhead and demolished the public toilets there.

I still remember the smell of stale pee and cigarette ends in those public toilets!

The "tuppeny wash and brush up" was handy though!

Remember the drinking fountain under the statue with a metal cup on a thick chain to use for drinking.People thought nothing about sharing cups etc in those days.

4 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Think that is the one I was thinking about.

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Remember the drinking fountain under the statue with a metal cup on a thick chain to use for drinking.People thought nothing about sharing cups etc in those days.

😀 Golden memories eh.

So it was. I  have looked at my old photos and the statue which was at Moorhead was, in fact, the Crimea Monument.

This is now in the Botanical Gardens but minus it's column, I believe.

Apparently, I'm wrong a second time.

The Crimea monument was then removed again from the Botanical Gardens and is now in storage waiting for a new home.

What a council. Hopeless if you wait for them to honour Sheffield's history.

It was Queen Victoria on top of the Crimea Memorial, and she was named Peace. Bits of this memorial are in Upperthorpe and copies of the mythical animals that adorned the memorial are outside Poundland on High Street, the rest are in storage somewhere but the council say they don't know where, I don't think they've ever looked for them, what a Town Hall full of clowns.

It really is a shame isn't it ?