relocating from Portsmouth, advice on area to buy

hi all! very excited to be moving to Sheffield. 

I'm from Yorkshire so glad to be coming home! but I don't know Sheffield well. Will be moving up with my husband and baby girl and looking for somewhere to live that's safe, characterful, friendly and lots going on in the community. we love walking everywhere. a couple of miles is nothing to get into the city. would like some little shops ie butchers within reach. Good schools. lots of green space around. looking at around 240k (2 or 3 bed preferably period build) and am now feeling like a flat would be an option to be able to live in one of the nicer areas. can anyone advise if there are any no go areas within s11?? is brincliffe way nice?? the flats seem to be huge and give us a good family living space compared to the houses I've seen........ 

or are we better off in Norton to get more for our money?? or will I wish we'd gone for s11?? 

hope this ramble makes sense!! 

I think if you want lots going on, character and a more 'bohemian' area you'll want to be in S11 over Norton which is quite a way out. Also look at S7 which borders S11 and takes in Nether Edge.  In these areas you are close to Ecclesall Rd, Sharrow Vale Rd and Abbeydale Rd all of which have lots going on, plents of parks/green spaces, and easy access to the peak district. 

Nowhere in S11 (or anywhere in Sheffield really) is a no go area, but it does get a bit shabbier the closer to the city centre  you get, and the closer to Abbeydale Rd you get.

Edit- Brincliffe is fine

Edited by lil-minx92

Hello...and Good luck with your plans!! You are very brave, but I don't think you'll regret it.

Perhaps consider Barnsley? (only 15 mins up the road from Sheffield) you get a LOT more bang for your buck here, I moved here 6 years ago due to the great house prices, lower council tax etc and have loved it!! It on;y takes me 11 minutes to get to Meadowhall shopping Centre and there is a lot of greenery and parks etc here, check right move for prices and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

All of South Yorkshire is lovely though...ayou're never far from a nice walk or the peak district :)

I hope all goes well for you all...and when you move up...post another message to meet folks..we're a friendly bunch!

thanks guys! it Is scary but I have family between Rotherham and Doncaster so it will be much better for the little one. 

are there nice family friendly pubs about the s11 area? 

sorry lots of questions. really excited!! 

Well there are a lot of young families in S11 so I guess some of the pubs must accommodate them but they are not pubs I have frequented for a while so cant confirm. 

I live in S11 and brought my children up here, I think it would suit your requirements very well. One thing I would advise though,  avoid the roads leading directly off Ecclesall Road unless you want to be surrounded by students.

thankyou! 

anyone know what cross pool or pitsmoor is like to live 

On 19/04/2019 at 19:03, smcrelocate said:

thankyou! 

anyone know what cross pool or pitsmoor is like to live 

Like chalk and cheese as the house prices will suggest.

I know Crosspool well. Its in the right area for good local schools but I found it it bit dull & boring.  Its all very nice but its generally road after road of post war semi- detached houses. The local pubs are nothing special, and there's no night life in Crosspool itself. 

Pitsmoor generally has a poor reputation now which im sure crime stats will back up, but many years ago was quite grand. There are some lovely big Victorian houses (mainly  now shabby and split into bedsits)  and houses with character, mingled with council and housing association properties.  I havent lived there though. Its very multicultural and theres loads of interesting shops / restaurants around Spital Hill which always seems to be buzzing. 

thank you!! yes the house prices definately suggest a thing or too.!! seen a couple of nice houses in Woodseats 

hit me with all the info on Woodseats! what's it like to live there? are the local parks nice? are the people friendly? are there some nice cafes/shops/pubs? 

Woodseats: some lovely roads, some less lovely roads. Surrounded by nice areas, but because of its large shopping street, attracts less desirable types from the few council estates in the south west of Sheffield. Good area on the whole, but not a place with a lots of buzz about it.