Slug solution

As it's now time to start thinking of planting out can I make a suggestion to avoid the use of of slug pellets.

An alternative that works is 20mm of beer in a tub left out with a loose cover over it (dropping a few grains of sugar into helps) .

If you have never tried this give it a go (it works ).

The dead slugs can be put out for the birds

I had brilliant success using nematoad worms last year. You can buy them from Amazon amongst other places. Just mix the powder up with water and spray it over your soil. 

Before doing this everything I planted was eaten instantly, after everything was fine!

On 18/04/2019 at 06:39, Thorpist said:

As it's now time to start thinking of planting out can I make a suggestion to avoid the use of of slug pellets.

An alternative that works is 20mm of beer in a tub left out with a loose cover over it (dropping a few grains of sugar into helps) .

If you have never tried this give it a go (it works ).

The dead slugs can be put out for the birds

I have heard of the beer can method and may try your idea.

It would seem that slugs are not dissimilar to  blokes on a pub crawl. In the first clip they call in at the white tub for one drink , then leave and move on-probably to the gardener`s rest or the plough?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cf6FHv5x3sc

The interesting thing is that apparently slugs are particular about the type of beer. Again also like blokes -as demonstrated in the second clip from the USA  lady. She explained that the first type of beer she tried in her inverted bottle trap did not work, but she got success with a different brew.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqs4YHUr7Kg

I tried the beer, didn't work for me 2 summers back, lost ALL the brassicas, every single one.

Pellets works, as does patrolling at night with a hoe....., but in all honesty I have given up on anything the slugs like.

Richard

Try cig ends in water.

Edited by mart

out at night with a salt tub ,that works no problem

I read that copper tape was supposed to stop them, I was going to put it around the plant pots but thought what is the point. As soon as the tomato plants start to spread out a bit and touch the glass the slugs and snails can get on the plants easily.

I started my swedes early in the greenhouse, I planted them out this week at a good size, 5" or so... 2 wet nights and despite slug pelletting the whole area.  the slugs have scoffed the LOT! Well dischuffed.

I have used copper wire circles in the past, it can work, I actually watched a slug one time try and get over it, it wouldn't slime over the copper. I found the best type was recycled mains cable looped into multi strand circles, and sometimes with a smaller one and larger one concentric around the plants. But they sometimes find a way past, or maybe some types of slug/snail aren't put off.

Back to the greenhouse to plant more seed!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Richard 

get out there with the salt tub that sorts them out forever,just go out as its going dark