Blades v Forest

As I said in the other post...  we really need to kick on now and I see no finer opportunity than against a struggling forest side, who in all fairness have nothing to play for. 

We now have the forced opportunity to make three changes in this one...

John Egan "took one for the team" so to speak, so he sits out Friday's game (Only Friday's game I believe as a straight red for denying a goalscoring opportunity is only a 1 match ban, as opposed to straight red for serious fould play which is a straight 3 match ban).

Sharp and Basham are set to miss Friday's game with knocks, possibly even 2 games. 

So all in all in spells a fantastic opportunity for the likes of Cranie, Hogan, Madine, Dowell and Stearman... Three of this lot are no doubt in with a good sniff of a starting place. 

We haven't got the worse referee for this one either in Andy Madley. He reffed the derby at home, as well as a couple of decent wins against Bolton and Wigan away. He isn't bad usually for letting things flow and keeping play running. He doesn't sling cards out willy nilly either thankfully. 

Forest are in a bad run and we really need a performance, so we have to capitalise on it. 

A great opportunity for players to fight for shirts in what is the most important part of the season. Hogan, Madine and Dowell in particular need to force themselves into contention. 

Cranie for me is a no brainer, he walks into the team every time he is called upon and he puts in a shift. Could start every game if it wasn't for Egan, Bash and O'connell. 

Wigan are fighting for their lives and if they managed to hold Leeds to a draw and we do what we should do in this, it all opens up again in the last three games!

Posted (edited)

If the owls can beat forest then it should be a straightforward task for United

Even Rotherham beat Forest

Make no mistake Forest are complete pants as a team

Expect a big win

United 7 - 0 Forest

Edited by rogets

Losing 3 key players seems like a huge blow, but there could be a silver lining to this particular cloud as it means Wilder will have to freshen up the team which has looked stale in the last few games. Cranie and Stearman are the obvious replacements for Basham and Egan but it's the midfield which has been poor lately. McGoldrick should replace Fleck and I'd even consider replacing Norwood with Lundstram, who isn't as talented, but would bring some physicality into that area. Madine and Hogan with Duffy behind should get the job done.

Think we should go Cranie and Stearman at the back, Madine and  Mcgoldrick  up front. At a push Dowell for Duffy, rest as of Saturday 

Yes it should be interesting to see who comes in but to be fair they have not been at their best in the past few weeks and I think changes were due but having said that the team without Basham and Egan will in my opinion be weaker.Billy has had hardly a kick in the last two matches and I feel needed a break but who will be there to put the ball in the net?Leeds fans think it is all over and I must admit it is going to be hard to pull the three points back all we can do is hope some team will do us a favour.Having said that if we do fail we must remember that it has been a great season Wilder has performed miracles .Being in the Championship has been good and I for one would not be to bothered if we had another year in this league could not cope being on the end of humiliating score lines against the billionaires of the prem.That league is so uneven and full of actors and cheats and dodgy ref decisions which always seems to favour the big clubs.

You have the easier run in though, I don't really get why blades are being so negative about it. I agree about not wanting to be in the prem though, I'd only want us there for the money for a season or two then come back down

4 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

You have the easier run in though, I don't really get why blades are being so negative about it. I agree about not wanting to be in the prem though, I'd only want us there for the money for a season or two then come back down

It is the same with me nervy .My memory is still sharp enough to remember the blatant referees decisions that ment we were playing 12 men every match and what I see on tele it has not changed when the smaller clubs are playing the big six.Why are the refs still falling for the divers and actors of the prem we all know who they are why is it they don't.?I am still waiting for a penalty to be awarded against a defender who THOUGHT about fouling some one like we saw at the Lane all those years back .Funny I have not seen one since but we were winning at the time and we were playing Liverpool and the diver was Gerrard so we did not stand a chance did we.No thanks I do not really want anymore of that blatant cheating but because the ref awarded it the decision in the eyes of those in the ivory towers in London was correct.

Very Poor from the Blades,1 Shot in 44 minutes is really bad,Midfield poor again,

It's 1 - 0 on 85 minutes currently

Get ready for forest to score 7 minutes into injury time

Ground out a win, thats all we can do now. Didnt look like losing imo, but Tippy tappy passing around the box drives you mad!. We need pace in the team, madine did ok but needs to dominate defenders, thought CW should have brought Dowell on for Fleck who must have his mind on his wedding, looks slow now, back3 seemed ok , didnt miss Bash & Egan, roll on Hull and as I said win is all we can do

Well that was game plan executed. 

I think we are that used to seeing 90 minutes of overload football from  our lads these days, therefore when the mentality changes a bit...some people automatically think that it isn't good enough. 

It was a tentative start to the game, but then again it was always going to be. There is so much to stake at the minute and the boys are desperate for it. A few lapses have cost us recently and it's bound to wobble them a bit, but for the majority of the game we controlled things. 

Whilst I can see why Galaxy says it to an extent, I don't think it was just a case of the midfield being non existent in that first half. I think we adapted our game play slightly to play to individual strengths, perhaps for the first time in ages I would say that we played a little bit route one.  But only because we were playing to Madine's strength in the air and didsy's runs off him.  But look at the amount of headers won by Madine, in fact I can't remember him losing out on any. 

All in all it was effective enough, we created more than the one shot that is claimed. Could and probs should have gone in 1-0 or 2-0 up. 

Second half we started well and once again didsy cause chaos with one of his trademark runs. I can't remember the last time we had a striker who is so comfortable in possession, he's tricky and he's pacey for the stage of his career. A clear MOTM performance from McGoldrick today, despite not scoring. 

Yes we could have been a lot more fluid at times, but never the less we were effective. We played with a game plan, steadied the ship a bit, before going at Forest. 

My own grudge would be the changes in the second half. I thought the switching the a negative back four could well have cost us a bit, especially as Forest grew into the game. But then again, we aren't used to watching United play to protect a lead are we? We usually kick on for a second. 

Well done anyway United, doing all we can ask from you. 

In the meantime I am just watching a very dogged performance from Wigan. Ten men since not long after 10 minutes, but the spirit and determination to peg leeds back to 1-1 is fantastic. 

Leeds don't look all that special, however they are very dangerous on the Break. Do I think Wigan's 10 men can hold out for a point? I don't think so personally, I think Leeds will probably get on top again and score again.....But stranger things have happened haven't they? They won't go far wrong with spirit like this and should be very proud of themselves on this first hour, should they lose.

11 minutes ago, pintor said:

Ground out a win, thats all we can do now. Didnt look like losing imo, but Tippy tappy passing around the box drives you mad!. We need pace in the team, madine did ok but needs to dominate defenders, thought CW should have brought Dowell on for Fleck who must have his mind on his wedding, looks slow now, back3 seemed ok , didnt miss Bash & Egan, roll on Hull and as I said win is all we can do

Madine did dominate defenders! Just checked stats! He won 14 headers in the air in that first half!

GET IN WIGAN!!!!! 

Leeds loosing. Said before I think there's more mistakes in Leeds than United so don't understand the fans being down about a 3 point gap.