Steve Gibson calling for EFL to investigate Owls, Derby and Villa.

The Telegraph have reported Middlesbrough owner Steve Gibson is determined to raise the issue at the meeting on May 1 and wants the EFL to launch an investigation into the financial conduct of Championship rivals Derby County, Aston Villa and Sheffield Wednesday.  He says the three clubs are using loopholes to get around FFP and upset because Boro have sold players valued around £40m to balance the books.The article  says Derby are under a soft embargo already although the EFL refuse to comment.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/steve-gibsons-ffp-complaints-over-2766211

If they have done nothing wrong they have nothing to worry about.Only they know .

If the loopholes are within the law, then use them and  why should he critize other clubs , he,s been in the game long enough to know the rights from wrongs.

Edited by ALAN 58

What happened to the parachute payments they had, they still got two seasons of them to come yet haven't they? Are they taken into account?

Edited by iansheff

I think our chairman should just shut the hell up. Its up to EFL to find anything wrong if anything. 

Me l cant see anything is going to happen and we will be in championship yet again.. 

We have no money coming in now so we will see what happens. 

Wouldnt worry guys

48 minutes ago, Mooks said:

I think our chairman should just shut the hell up. Its up to EFL to find anything wrong if anything. 

Me l cant see anything is going to happen and we will be in championship yet again.. 

We have no money coming in now so we will see what happens. 

Wouldnt worry guys

You have another years parachute payments to come in don't you?

Edited by iansheff

Cant see it m8 lm sure gibbo said were not getting anymore. But who really knows what goes on behind closed doors

15 minutes ago, cmonkes said:

Why should he shut the hell up though Mooks?... He has every right to hold a grudge when his team are complying with rules, yet others are blatantly exploiting them in order to gain an unfair advantage.

Whilst I can't say that I am 100%, in my opinion Sheffield Wednesday are using a similar method to that which LCFC were punished for a years ago. Therefore it is only right and consistent for the EFL to investigate the club and if found to be "cheating" the system, they should also be punished. 

Leicester City in conjunction with Dave Richards, sold sponsorship rights to a company for a minimal amount. The company in mention Trestellar Ltd, then sold all sponsorship rights back to the club for a fee in excess of £11m. This amount being the amount needed by the club in order to balance books and comply with FFP rules. 

Trestellar Ltd was a company registered in Sheffield (Shepcote) under the names of Dave Richards children, however the supposed business premises were empty and had no signs of said company existing. 

After a thorough investigations, it was ruled in favour of the EFL. 

So then you have to question the taxi and energy drink company who are dominant sponsors at Sheffield Wednesday? (X) months later, neither exist other than in branding? 

It appears that the companies in mention were set up just 48 hours prior to the sponsorship deal? The companies were created by Mr Chansiri,  before being transferred to a company called "Pan 1" in Hong Kong?.

It's ok saying that loopholes are there to be exploited, but SHOULD any club be found to be doing it to deliberately bypass rules, whether that be for financial gain or full an advantage over other clubs. Then they SHOULD be heavily penalised. 

Let's remember that these rules have been introduced to promote a level playing field, whilst PROTECTING clubs. 

IF any of these clubs have been naughty, then it is quite simple! PUNISH them heavily. Large fines, lengthly transfer embargos and point deductions. 

Cheats should be allowed to prosper..... Well done to Boro's chairman I say!  

I've highlighted the truth and meaningful part of your rant.

1 minute ago, cmonkes said:

Find me proof otherwise that suggests these companies operate? Find me business addresses? Annual Accounts? Phone Numbers? Full share details?

It's your rant pal, if you think it the case find it out and send to Steve Gibson, but as you say, your not 100%!

Welll just feel like gibbos only doing it for boros  own gain. But if it comes out that things arent what they should be then fair enough. 

Just seems a bit strange why hes come out and mentioned it for one how does he know. 

Its the EFL buisness to find out surely

Derby County's case is interesting:

They have just managed to make a profit of £14mil by selling the ground to the owner for £80mil.

Pride Park was previously valued at just £40mil so he's paid double its value presumably to inject extra funds in to the club and avoid breaching fair play rules.

Not in the spirit of the rules but probably not illegal.

Would this be an option for Chansari if Derby get away with it ?

If loopholes are open then no one is breaking any rules, the rules need to be changed to close the loopholes.

The whole P&S/FFP scenario whilst well intended is making an absolute mockery of the game while ever failures are receiving parachute payments, the rules only benefit the unambitious, why shouldn't a chairman be able to spend money on the club they own, a bond arrangement could be put in place to protect a clubs future. Jack Walker created a fairytale with his lifelong club Blackburn Rovers, he wouldn't be allowed to do that now.

Can the poster who mentioned the sponsorship of the Owls post some figures to show what the two companies he mentions have put in please.