Some USB ports not working correctly

On 18/04/2019 at 17:46, apelike said:

If you do get a hub then get a powered one so any device plugged in will then use that and not the internal power, some also have dedicated charging ports.

Something like this: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOLWEO-Transfer-Charging-Aluminum-Bus-Powered/dp/B06XGQ44CW/ref=sr_1_17?keywords=powered+usb+hub&qid=1555605195&s=gateway&sr=8-17

Thanks for the recommendation, I've bought one of those and it seems to be working OK.

On 18/04/2019 at 16:12, max said:

Hi & thanks for contributing.

There is no power saving option for the individual ports only the controller which isn't set.

Power saving  is off in the power profile.

There is a controller in Device Manager with the following detail:

Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)

Device Type: USB Controllers

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

A request for the USB device descriptor failed.

I disable this then enabled, then uninstalled and scanned for new hardware and it returned but with same message.

I'm not confident playing with the BIOS but a USB hub is certainly an option.

The problem seems to be not enough power going to the 2 USB ports on the back.

A code 43 error means the usb hub and pc aren't communicating as they should. This is usually the result of a windows update, right click on all the usb hub controllers in device manager and click uninstall driver, make sure the checkbox for delete device is checked. Then restart your computer and check for updates. This should get them working again. 

18 hours ago, akoffi said:

A code 43 error means the usb hub and pc aren't communicating as they should. This is usually the result of a windows update, right click on all the usb hub controllers in device manager and click uninstall driver, make sure the checkbox for delete device is checked. Then restart your computer and check for updates. This should get them working again. 

Thanks for that but have tried all those steps. I now have a powered USB hub so I don't need to rely on the duff ports.