Mink in Sheffield

I've had an animal helping itself to my horses carrots, apples etc in my feed shed for some time. When I closed the wooden door it gnawed it's way through it, leaving a Tom & Jerry esq hole. I'd assumed it was a squirrel, but yesterday I caught a glimpse of it as it shot under the shed on my approach, and it was black, and larger than a squirrel. My thoughts are it could be a mink.

Has anyone else come across wild mink in Sheffield? 

But rats aren't black they're grey aren't they?

More Brown. But, at a distance, with wet fur it might appear black. And rats can go surprisingly large. More chance of it being a rat than a mink.

It wasn't at a great distance, no more than 4 or 5 feet, ( but it was a fleeting glimpse) and it was dry yesterday. It was definitely black.

I wish ha d a webcam I could set up

7 minutes ago, iansheff said:

Well depending where you live this might help, tells you places where there are most rats in Sheffield.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/latest/these-are-the-most-rat-infested-streets-in-sheffield-does-yours-make-the-list-1-9714217

A ranger told me there are plenty of mink in Atterclife on the canal and Don . This came as a result of me asking where all the rabbits that I used to see on the canal bank and on the field at Woodbourne Road had disappeared to this was also why there used to be water voles in the Don and canal and aren't any more.

Well done those animal rights activists 

Edited by Nankypoo

Saw a mink killing a rat on the river Don at Hillsborough. Quite a sight 

Oh actually 2 years ago the place was alive with rabbits, and now there aren't any. 

2 hours ago, Nankypoo said:

A ranger told me there are plenty of mink in Atterclife on the canal and Don . This came as a result of me asking where all the rabbits that I used to see on the canal bank and on the field at Woodbourne Road had disappeared to this was also why there used to be water voles in the Don and canal and aren't any more.

Well done those animal rights activists 

i've done a fair bit of googling today and apparently there was already a well-established wild population long before any mink were released by animal right activists

Daft question, but aren't mink carnivorous rather than omnivorous ?

Yes! I've just googled it and they are described as carnivores, rarely eating vegetation (I had thought they were omnivores ) so the plot thickens😲

Its  a big dirty rat! It probably has a nest under your shed. Just leave some veg outside for it so it doesnt have to gnaw through the wall.